Skip to content

Just beat Durlag's Tower and...

wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
Well that was ridiculously easy. Just killed Durlags Demon Knight in < 20 s on core with my Inquisitor, Khalid, Jaheira, Branwen, Kiran and Imoen(dualled at level 5) all around level 7-8. I always thought the tower was meant to be difficult (I'd only previously done the upper levels) or have I come to it at too high a level?

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I think I've only beat him on insane difficulty (probably max levels), but even then he wasn't that hard. Next time will be with SCS mod so hopefully that will give some challenge :)
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    should I do this before I go to Baldur's gate? I have been able to go there since chap 3 or 4, but I haven't yet cause I wasn't sure if I get sent there from baldur's gate or not.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027

should I do this before I go to Baldur's gate? I have been able to go there since chap 3 or 4, but I haven't yet cause I wasn't sure if I get sent there from baldur's gate or not.

Once in Ulgoth's beard you will be encouraged to visit Durlag's tower.
    This dungeon is more challenging than most other places (even if the big guys can do it with no real difficulty). It is full of traps and a good thief might be welcome in the party.
    The upper levels are easier and they are a good xp source for a young (and well prepapred) party - a bit of metagaming...
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    CField17 said:

Aec'Letec is harder

Really? I thought the Demon Knight was harder IMO. Aec'Letec had the pretty basic strategy of murdering the cultists first then go for the demon himself (after using potions of mirroring eyes on the entire party of course).

Hell, I think the real challenge of TotSC was Karoug. Good lord, without a proper set of equipment and the right strategy he just mauls you to death.
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2014

CField17 said:

Aec'Letec is harder

Really? I thought the Demon Knight was harder IMO. Aec'Letec had the pretty basic strategy of murdering the cultists first then go for the demon himself (after using potions of mirroring eyes on the entire party of course).

Hell, I think the real challenge of TotSC was Karoug. Good lord, without a proper set of equipment and the right strategy he just mauls you to death.
    Demon Knight is way easier, especially if you use the mirror and let the mirror fiends kill him.

Karoug was a pain in the a** though, especially since I didn't know what weapons to use at first. Once I figured that out, I just spammed wand of fear until he was running around scared.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    CField17 said:

CField17 said:

Aec'Letec is harder

Demon Knight is way easier, especially if you use the mirror and let the mirror fiends kill him.

Karoug was a pain in the a** though, especially since I didn't know what weapons to use at first. Once I figured that out, I just spammed wand of fear until he was running around scared.

Its hard to be so absolute. I would say Karoug is easy, the Demon Knight is moderate, Aec'Letec is the hardest fight in any infinity engine game.
    But it varies a lot with the party. I think it was my third or fourth play through I had a party that really struggled against Karoug. It really made me look at my party and tactics. The things I naturally, almost always do match up well against Karoug, and pretty poorly against Aec'Letec. But my over all assessment remains the same, its based on how steep my learning curve was for each of those fights.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Neither of the two mentioned fights is particular hard if you are Batman prepared.

Scroll of Protection of Magic makes Demon Knight piece of cake. Just use PfM on one or two melee and have rest of team attack at range. In one of my games I had Dorn solo this fight...
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    All fights in the vanilla game are easy if you are properly prepared (There is so many powerful potions and scrolls in the game that you can make 1-2 character immune to anything when you need to).

This is actually what i like in that game : the fact that fights that seem almost impossible at the beginning can become trivially easy with better tactics.
    Playing no-reload helps a lot to force you to find good preparation/tactics and stop relying on good saving throws/to hit rolls.
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2015
    Aec'Later did prove tougher than the Demon Knight but Karoug has been my toughest enemy to date.

I was against him with the same group as above except everyone was around level 6-7 and the only weapon I had to hurt him was the knife I found downstairs. With the haste spell I was just about able go hurt him often enough to counteract his healing.

The biggest problem I see with Karoug is the fact you can't give up and come back later when you have better gear and more experience if you don't keep a rotating save slot system. Also as there is no store on the island it all adds up to make the Karoug fight pretty tough if you come to it at too low a level.

In retrospect I think I should have done Durlag's Tower before attempting the island.
    Post edited by wigglesg on