Skip to content

BG2 - Even when on a quest from Lethinan, I still get attacked by his guards

Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
Short version:
Current behaviour: Lethinan's guards at the slave pen attack me even when I'm performing a task for Lethinan.
Expected behavious: After Lethinan tasked me with killing Hendak, and I'm actually doing it (instead of telling the slave that my deal was just a ruse to get the key), the guards should leave me alone.

Longer version, aka ranting to let off some steam:

Started replaying BG2 to kill time before September 18, chose an evil PC, and encountered most bothersome issue.
I wanted to side with Lethinan and kill Hendak for him (never done that before). The problem is, the only way to do that is to talk to Hendak first, then tell on him to Lethinan. But to talk to Hendak, you need to go to the 'personnel only' area, when you get confronted by a guard who tells you to leave immediately. If you say anything but 'alright, I'm going', you get attacked. If you linger too long after saying that, you get attacked. If you managed to talk to Hendak and went to Lethinan to get a 'kill Hendak' quest and go to do that... you get attacked! What the hell guys, I'm working for you boss, I have the key he gave me, you heard as I told Hendak I'm here to kill him and you can see I'm hitting him... leave me the heck alone already!

With some careful use of stealth, it is possible to talk with Hendak and leave the area without talking to the guard. But that doesn't help, because after getting the quest, I need to go back to the restricted area and the guards will stop me, and once again, if I chose any dialog option but "I'm leaving" it leads to me being attacked, and if I chose "I'm leaving" and try to kill Hendak just like Lethinan told me to , the guard shouts that I've been warned, and, you guessed it, I get attacked. Yee gods...Even if I tell them I'm allowed to be here they attack me, the trigger happy goons. :/

Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Yes, I remember this issue. But as I kill Hendak in 90% of my playthroughs I got used to it already.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    What do you gain from it? XP wise?
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Ken
    Ken said:

What do you gain from it? XP wise?

You know, I'm not sure. I guess the same amount of XP you'd get from Hendak, minus XP for all the beasts and Beastmaster, I guess? I'm currently in a playing phase of 'do what your PC would do', rather than 'do what gives you most loot and XP', so I wasn't really paying attention. If I ever scrounge up enough enthusiasm to replay that encounter, I'll note down the gain.
    @Xzar - What do you do the remaining 10% of the time, then? ;P

(I guess it's not much of an issue in vanilla game, but I just might have installed the 'improved Copper Coronet guards' mod for realism sake... (I have -6 AC, and the bastards turn me into a poisoned pincushion within seconds) >_>
    Still, it's something that should be tweaked, IMO, so that this quest isn't so obviously aimed at good alignment characters. I mean, without metagaming you can only start the quest after you've already killed half of the inn's guards. I can't imaging any slaver taking kindly to some guys killing off his personnel.