Skip to content

The effects of Alcohol

rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
I remember that drinking at the pubs of BG and BG2 gave you titbits of info and that you could drink a certain number of drinks before becoming intoxicated...

Was this number just dependant on your CON score or was there any racial differences?

And were there any pros to being drunk as compared to cons?

I only really got my NPCs to drink before they retired for the night in a tavern so never knew what else might happen!

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I believe it was based on your constitution.
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    That's a good question, I never experienced that as well. I think it would be great if there was some sort of trade off, like less likely to become feared but your aim is off a bit? Would make sense in a way.
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    The manual says drinks increase your morale if you don't overdo it.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I guess the biggest effect was that Khalid was enjoyable while intoxicated and Dynahier wasn't annoying.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Intoxication confers a luck penalty, resulting in a worsened THAC0, saves and damage. How many drinks are required is dependent upon your constitution, but unrelated to your race/class.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    From the manual:

"A character becomes intoxicated after he drinks enough alcoholic beverages. The average character will be able to drink about 5 alcoholic beverages before becoming intoxicated--but this amount may vary depending upon the character's Constitution. Intoxicated characters gain a bonus to Morale, but a penalty to Luck. The greater the level of intoxication, the greater the bonus/penalty. The effects of intoxication diminish over time."

So there you have it: Drink more, get braver!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mmmm...beer
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    @Aosaw Was that the BG or BG2 manual? Swear I looked at them...obviously not closely enough!
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Well I conducted some experiments and I found if I had more to drink, I did less well in the game but I cared less.....where as if the PC did the drinking they ended up getting all sobby and cryin in their beer.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Aosaw said:

From the manual:So there you have it: Drink more, get braver!

They should make it so characters can carry alcoholic drinks with them "on the road" instead of only in taverns and inns. Although Kagain would need to carry around a couple of kegs with him, given his godlike Dwarven constitution.

I'm sure Xan would only need a single wineskin with that 7 CON of his.

I remember BGII had a few tankards of "Baalor Ale" or something, but I never could figure out if it was a quest item or "liquid courage" as needed.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited August 2012
    Mortianna said:

Aosaw said:

From the manual:So there you have it: Drink more, get braver!

They should make it so characters can carry alcoholic drinks with them "on the road" instead of only in taverns and inns. Although Kagain would need to carry around a couple of kegs with him, given his godlike Dwarven constitution.

I'm sure Xan would only need a single wineskin with that 7 CON of his.

I remember BGII had a few tankards of "Baalor Ale" or something, but I never could figure out if it was a quest item or "liquid courage" as needed.
    Those were mainly Quest items, like the odd wine bottle. One Baalor was in BG1 as well, Tales of the Sword Coast, I believe you had to get one for the captain that gave you the sea maps to Balduran's Isle. I believe you were able to drink them, though, but I don't know what might happen then.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Make sure pregnant characters have plenty to drink. Aerie and Charname/Imoen when romancing Kelsey need to have lots of alcohol.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    The Baalor Ale is actually for the quest in Umar Hills in the second game where the 3 teenagers want ale and swords. :)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

The Baalor Ale is actually for the quest in Umar Hills in the second game where the 3 teenagers want ale and swords. :)

I always told them no; now I know why to tell them yes. ;-)

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @Mortianna Be careful if you're a ranger. I don't know if you become a fallen ranger over that, but you will lose your 'protectorship' of that town (the ranger 'stronghold').
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    There are drinks that are 1gp, and there are those that are 20gp. Any significant benefits of choosing the expensive ones over the cheap ones?
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Faster rumors and better taste.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Intoxication also makes Faldorn and Xzar appear attractive.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

I guess the biggest effect was that Khalid was enjoyable while intoxicated and Dynahier wasn't annoying.

.... and Tiax was sexy.