Skip to content

Ring of Human Influence Bug?

I am playing BG2 (non enhanced I believe, I got it off of GOG a while ago).

My main character put on the ring of human influence and every time I take it off I die. He is a human that specializes in conjuration. I have not found anything on the internet describing this but the SECOND I unequip it I die and it is very frustrating.

Comments

• OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Do you have anything affecting charisma besides the ring? Could be the old bug that kills you if you have an ability score lower than 0.
    jackjackelminsterlunar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    What is your charisma without the ring on?
    jackjack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    If you have abused rod of terror, that could have reduced your charisma to zero, which would normally kill you. (You are so ugly you commit suicide!) But I think this was fixed in the enhanced edition. Regular game still has this bug. Solution:use rod of terror again till you get cha drain, it will wrap up your charisma to 25 (cause negative scores wrap back to 25) or use shadowkeeper to change your cha to something other than zero.
    jackjackdomeplsffsJuliusBorisov
  • Jman115Jman115 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Hmm I didn't realize rod did that, I used it earlier in the game for a brief time. That would make sense though. So the only way to reverse the effects is to find where I sold it (hopefully not Gorch) and use it again ? Using it will automatically charisma drain me and bring my charisma back up to 25? Otherwise I am stuck with the ring?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2015
    Yeah that was the bug with the ability drain, and a game engine limitation, if an ability is drained below zero (and you survived with the help of an equipped item setting that score) it used to warp to 25 and continue dropping down from there all over again. It may have been fixed with a patch, though, it depends on the version of your game. If it is fixed and ability scores do not warp back to 25 below zero, you are doomed until you can raise your cha by single point to at least one. (Hell trials or Machine of the Lum the Mad may help)

You can just easily use shadowkeeper to edit your save game, and set your character's cha score to 1, maybe, he will live but it will show he has abused the rod of terror and twisted himself into something hideous. The rod should not kill the user though, I wish it was fixed so it never drains cha below one.
    Post edited by lunar on
    jackjack