Skip to content

Having the gnolls down Drizzt

So first off, I am not proud or think myself of a skilled BG player. I just wanted to share my achievement so it may help others to do the same.

Like many I was tempted to get the weapons and armor from Drizzt and tried fighting him, with the result of very very fast party wipes.

So what now, let's kite the bastard I thought! I had my party at distance and let imoen get close and do the talking. I made her offer Drizzt her help, and short after I started shooting arrows at Drizzt at which point he turns hostile (you want him to kill as less Gnolls as possible). I then drank an Oil potion for speed (white bottle, don't remember the exact name) to make the tactic easier.

At this time you want to start running around the group of Gnolls and using them as a wall to keep Drizzt at bay. I managed to end up at the trees close to the water and made Drizzt get stuck in the trees (at the orange tree). It is important to position imoen vertical to Drizzt so his effort is pointed down and not sideways. He was absolutely stuck and I just had to wait for the Gnolls to do the job.

After he dies the Gnolls just stand there, they won't even attack. I killed them all and looted all and Drizzt. Very nice gear (warning, one of the weapons requires you to be good and won't equip if your neutral of evil). I did NOT lose reputation as the Gnolls killed him and I did 0 damage. Downside is I got 0 experience for killing him and it feels like cheating.

Not here to open a discussion on if you like this way to achieve the gear, just wanted to share this option!

PS: screenshot added to further visualize the tactic!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's been reported as a bug somewhere as it isn't intended behaviour. I had the same thing happen a couple of months back.
  • Slein1987Slein1987 Member Posts: 4
    decado said:

It's been reported as a bug somewhere as it isn't intended behaviour. I had the same thing happen a couple of months back.

Can imagine this was not intended by the game designers!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    In original BG Drizzt would slaughter the gnolls in about 10 seconds then turn on you, likewise I think the gnolls would attack whomever was nearest.
    jackjackelminster
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    If u are willing to cheese him like this, there is an easier way to cheese him to death. No potions or anything needed. Just a full party, a Charname with a missile weapon, and a load of ammo...

U just kick ur party members in a tight ring around Drizzt, so that he cannot move. He will not attack ur disbanded party members once u start shooting him. It'll take a while, but he will die... and unlike with the above method... u get the xp as well, which is loads for a BG 1 character.

Edit: Reputation isn't a problem in BG 1. There's loads of + rep quests, and u can buy back a few points at temples if really needed.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Easiest way to kill him is is to use fireshield :
    - put mirror image / stoneskin / fireshield on a character.
    - let drizzt attack you. He will not damage you thanks to stoneskin (be careful to recast if/when necessary) and will take damage with fireshield (his MR does not protect him against it).

elminster
  • NeeberNeeber Member Posts: 33
    Easiest way ive found is just chugg an invisibility potion and watch the gnolls kill him. He doesnt defend hinmelf till after the dialog with charname initiates, however the gnolls attack immediately. Yeah u have to wait a minute bc they have to roll 20 to hit him, but theyll get the job done. Really cheesy
    jackjackelminster
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    Hahaha, that music in the video XD Awesome stuff. Btw, as far as i'm aware for one thing they offed this strategy by giving him a gem of true-sight =O
    jackjack