Skip to content

Officially frustrated now......GRRRRRR

I've been playing Baldurs Gate 1 now for a week, I played baldurs gate much longer then that although I recently came back and the thing that bugs me is that I can't find a place to buy new spells for my mage?

I would ask around but there's no in-game chat option for that, except to find a cheap inn to drink and sob about the fact that I don't know where to get a level 2 spell for Xan.

I did the Nashkell mine bit, I killed a lot of bandits along the road to Baldur's Gate, managed to kill that dude in the full plate armor (which took ridiculously long), was overpowered by the main guy there who cast horror and I had no spell against that or a cleric. Got a cleric from the place you know where and now I would love to find a place to buy a spell?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    High Hedge. That place west of Beregost. Don't loiter when you get in though or the flesh golems will attack you, head straight to talk to the grumpy mage. Pester him with the line about seeing "a powerful mage that lives here" and wanting to buy stuff from him.
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    @silverstar thanks!!

though ironically I just found the resist fear scroll at the gnoll fortress which was ridiculously simple.. and this time I don't even have a level 8 elven archer from playing the black pit first! :)
  • TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    @silverstar by loitering did you also mean roaming around the entire map around the castle killing every undead and whatever was there?? ;

I thought you meant he was outside so I did just that! The XP was nice though Ajantis got promoted to 3rd level paladin and can turn undead now.

eventually figured the wizard must be indoors so went inside and loitered.. lol

ran into that flesh golem... tried to take him on with my level 2/3 party but had to reload to the point where I entered the place and then I remembered not to loiter... :)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Tigersag said:

by loitering did you also mean roaming around the entire map around the castle killing every undead and whatever was there?? ;

Heh. Actually... when I first get to High Hedge I tend to avoid everything else and just rush inside to buy my scrolls. As you noticed though there's no lack of experience points from killing the stuff outside. Note that there's a gnoll that drops a "Perdue's Shortsword" or something similar (least I think it's in this area) which is a quest item for a quest in Beregost... it's also a sword that cannot break which might be handy for a while.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    lol This reminds me of the first time I saw Tord's (mynameisnotlilly) BG 1 Vanilla LP, and when he saw Durlag's Tower... "Oh that sounds like a mage tower... Lilly will want to go and see if she can buy some arcane scrolls there."

Many reloads later and finally at the gates of the tower yet...

"This doesn't look like a mage tower..."
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    Heindrich said:

lol This reminds me of the first time I saw Tord's (mynameisnotlilly) BG 1 Vanilla LP, and when he saw Durlag's Tower... "Oh that sounds like a mage tower... Lilly will want to go and see if she can buy some arcane scrolls there."

Many reloads later and finally at the gates of the tower yet...

"This doesn't look like a mage tower..."

Ahh yes, the endevours of Miss Lilly Black.

Also, as others said - Try the High Hedge ^^

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I think he should have found some spells by now.