Skip to content

Scripting with NI is "Fun" but sometimes "Frustrating"

For those of you who want to "write" your own player scripts - the use of NearInfinity will help you in doing so.
Warning: Prior to "re-writing" an In-Game script - ALWAYS Copy the .BS file and Re-Name it to a different file name...that way if you "mess up" you will leave the original in-game script intact.

PS: After you "write" a line of Scripting...*always Compile to see if you have any "errors" - if you have written an in-valid script - you will see an "Error" message pop up with a brief description along with the "line number of the error". If you dont see the "Error" message pop up - then you can save it...then run it on ur char for a test to see if what you wanted actually "happens" - If it does happen - then you will have accomplished something that you can be proud of.

If it doesnt happen, then you will be one among the many of us who have to "experiment" until we get the results we desired or finally figure out it cant be done by a "Mortal Man"~!

GrammarsaladCrevsDaak

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've began creating scripts a bit more than an year ago, and my recommendations are:
    - Check the .ids files for help about Objects and action/trigger usage.
    - Save the script often.
    - Don't use many stacked objects like Protector(LastAttackeBy(LastAttackerOf(Myself))), it might sound crazy but they're useful, but still, don't use many.
    - Avoid using ANYONE entry, use 0 instead (WeiDU can't compile/handle ANYONE).

Now I make the scripts in a text editor and tell WeiDU to compile them... NI takes too much to load ;p
    Grammarsaladjackjack
  • Borg_DealerOfDeathBorg_DealerOfDeath Member Posts: 79
    The name of that tool is familiar - Its possible we had it way back when -?? My mind is like a steel trap - - nothing in --- nothing out~!
    And thanks for the info - I will download it - and give it a go.
    jackjack
  • Borg_DealerOfDeathBorg_DealerOfDeath Member Posts: 79
    CrevsDaak said:

I've began creating scripts a bit more than an year ago, and my recommendations are:
    - Check the .ids files for help about Objects and action/trigger usage.
    - Save the script often.
    - Don't use many stacked objects like Protector(LastAttackeBy(LastAttackerOf(Myself))), it might sound crazy but they're useful, but still, don't use many.
    - Avoid using ANYONE entry, use 0 instead (WeiDU can't compile/handle ANYONE).

Now I make the scripts in a text editor and tell WeiDU to compile them... NI takes too much to load ;p

You have some very good suggestions there - - - especially about "saving often" - I always hit "compile" at the end of a line of script- just to make sure I have no errors - Ive had a long string of scripting - that compiled without any errors - and we're talking a full page of scripting - and then have a quick power outage and -- poof...its all gone after spending an hour or two writing it and compiling to make sure its error free. That is Maddening~!

Thanks for your reply and your helpful hints - its appreciated.