Skip to content

Baulder's Gate-TOTSC

FretmanFretman Member Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in New Members Welcome Area
Hello: I am new to Baulder's Gate and this forum. I have some questions:
I am unable to buy healing potions at the temples. I am in Chapter 3. The only items available at the temples store are "Elixir of Health," " Antidote" and "Stone to Flesh Scroll." As I said, I am new to the game and don't know if this is a bug or what. I have played other RPGs such as "Diablo 2 LOD," "Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 and "Sacred Gold." and have not encountered an issue such as this. So I am not new to RPGs. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2015
    Baldur's* ;) It's written right above you.

Secondly, this is your problem. This game is not like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Sacred, Torchlight and other similar games.
    By the way, those are barebones "RPGs". They're all about the loot and stats.

This game is not about loot, levels and making a single badass character and destroying hordes of monsters.

This game is a tactical, old-school, hardcore, party-based RPG.
    Which means, you must gather your party (pun/reference intended) of a balanced team and travel around carefully, playing smart and using tactics to survive.

And yes, those items are intended. Find a Cleric or Druid NPC (you can find one north of the crossroads) to use as a healer.
    You must be resting to restore your health or use magic. You shouldn't be buying dozens of potions like in Diablo and spam them all the time.

You can have six people with you at maximum. The max level you can reach in BG1 is about 8-10 (yes, you read that right) and the game is 100+ hours long. The second is just as long.

I would advise a party of two warriors (Fighter, Ranger or Paladin), a Cleric or Druid (for healing), a Thief (you start with Imoen) and one or two mages.

Read the manual.

The manual is very very important. It will explain a ton of things that will seem strange to you.
    Since you are new to the game, there's no way you will figure out everything with a glance.
    The rules are VERY different compared to the likes of Diablo and the gameplay and experience is very different as well.

You might be a pro in Diablo, but Baldur's Gate will grab you, chew you and spit you out just to say hello.
    It's a game where you need most of all to have patience and take your time, learning how things work.

Most important of all: Save often and in different slots.
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    Everything has been basically said, i have just one remark : there should be Potions of Health available at the local temples. o_O You know, the little blue ones, that restore the same as a CLW? Am i just tripping balls? Oh, and btw the temples can run out of them if you buy them all up =D
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Fretman‌

Baldur's Gate is pretty much the opposite of a hack n slash, Diablo-style.

Take the difficulty of Dark Souls perhaps, make it a party based game, make it tactical and strategic and now you have a rough idea of what BG is like.

But it also allows you a lot of freedom, roleplaying options, deep story and a definite challenge.
    Baldur's Gate II continues the first game with the same character and you face even more epic challenges.