Skip to content

Unsuccessful banter attempts

Hello,

I'm just wondering - why do some banter attempts between NPCs fail to activate?

What I mean here is a situation where an NPC suddenly stops in their tracks and plays their selection response, seemingly without a reason. Sometimes if they're just standing around, two NPCs will turn to face each other, one of them will say the selection line and nothing will happen.

You can see it very clearly when speeding up banters using Ctrl-I.

It's a bit annoying, cause when it happens, I know I just missed out on a conversation and will have to wait again for the next one ;p.

I'm just curious as to how it works.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the game wants to trigger a next-in-line banter, but a Global Variable for that is not present/prevents the banter somehow. I draw that conclusion from tests involving speeding up LoveTalks with only Charname + romanced NPC in party. The LoveTalks usually have even numbers, while odd numbers, from my understanding, indicate a situation/time period in between talks. Unless I manually set the LoveTalk to the next even number, the romance conversation will never occur. In other words, when the LoveTalk variable is an odd number, the romanced NPC will look at my Charname, say their selection line and, I guess, they will just have a nice, long stare into each others' eyes ;p. Actually, even if the variable is set to an even number, I still usually have to force talk the NPC, instead of them initiating the conversation properly, but that's a minor thing.

Am I understanding this correctly, then? One would think the game would just search for an eligible banter when a banter trigger occurs, play it if search was successful, or do nothing at all if an available banter was not found. It doesn't seem to work that way, though. Somehow the game gets stuck along the way and as a result, the NPCs want to start talking, but forget words in their mouths ;+).

I placed the thread in General, because, although the situation occurs mostly in BG2, it can also happen in BG1, particularly when you have NPC Project installed (and probably when EE NPCs want to talk). Just to clarify, stuff like that happens on a clean install of BG2EE, without any mods involved.

Thanks in advance for any insights on the matter!
lunarjackjackJuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    Yes, I've noticed my Charname doing the same thing while speeding up romance talks, with only the love interest in the party. The particular person starting the conversation seems to be random. Obviously the talk itself starts with the romanced NPC saying something, but technically it looks like it doesn't matter which one of the involved NPCs initiates the dialogue.

While progressing through the Red Wizard Enclave with Neera yesterday, she did the selection sound into nothing twice, each time after clearing a section of the enclave. Again it seemed like she wanted to comment at appropriate moments, but something went wrong in the process.

I know we have quite a few knowledgeable people on this forum, when it comes to the Infinity Engine, so I'm still hoping my curiousity is going to get satisfied at some point ;+).