Skip to content

Themed Parties

manutd_fan_1999manutd_fan_1999 Member Posts: 34
May I ask if anyone's ever done a themed party in either of the BG saga EEs (eg. alignment, race, gender or class etc.)

BG1

Race (example) - Elves & Half-Elves - Khalid, Kivan, Coran, Jaheira, Viconia, Xan, Baeloth
- Dwarves, Gnomes & Halflings - Kagain, Yeslick, Quayle, Alora, Montaron, Tiax
- Humans & Half-Orcs - everyone else not already mentioned

Class (examples) - Warriors - Khalid, Jaheira, Kagain, Shar-Teel, Yeslick, Coran, Minsc, Kivan, Ajantis, Dorn, Montaron, PC Fighter/Mage
Priests - Yeslick, Branwen, Viconia, Jaheira, Faldorn, Quayle, Tiax, Xzar *1a, Dynaheir *1b, PC Cleric or Druid (any)
Wizards - PC Fighter/Mage, Quayle, Imoen, Safana *2, Dynaheir, Xzar, Xan, Edwin, Baeloth
Rogues - Coran, Shar-Teel, Branwen *3, Imoen, Safana, Tiax, Alora, Montaron, Xzar *3, Eldoth, Skie, Garrick, PC Thief or Bard (any)

*1a - one WIS tome required; *1b two WIS tomes required
*2 - one INT tome required
*3 - one DEX tome required
Post edited by manutd_fan_1999 on

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    This gave me an idea of a party of the faithful with monks, paladins and clerics.

Probably with Rasaad, Keldorn, Anomen, Aerie and PC as a gnome T/C. If I want full party, I'll include Mazzy. Although she is a fighter, she acts like a paladin. Going to exclude Viconia because of alignment.
  • manutd_fan_1999manutd_fan_1999 Member Posts: 34
    @Yannir, these are the very same NPCs I intended to use for the BG2 part of my LG run (BG1 - Ajantis, Rasaad, Yeslick, Dynaheir, my Swashmage & Minsc
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    I can't say I've done a themed party about a class or race, mainly because I like my parties as diverse, though I did have this evil party I called the League of Evil, namely Dorn, Kagain, Edwin, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Blackguard Charname in BG1, and then in BG2, Kagain and Shar-Teel replaced by Korgan and Hexxat.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only time I do a themed party is sometimes I make each party member human, I do that sometimes to make my parties feel less power gamer like despite the fact I still play them as power gamer as possible sometimes :)
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I'm having this idea of doing a "mage killer" party, similar to the group you fight at the end of the mage stronghold quest in BG2. They'd be led by an Inquisitor and then there'll be a Wizard Slayer, of course, then either a monk or another Wizard Slayer, one or two Clerics dual-classed from fighters, and one Assassin, might dual class him into fighter later on. They'd all be humans with maybe one or two dwarves.

I've never attempted to play BG without even a single arcane caster before so it will probably be quite challenging for me.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    I've once done an "Arcane Madness" playthrough throughout the whole Saga. Arcane spellcasters only. My Charname was a Sorcerer.

BG1 party:

Imoen dualed to Mage
    Edwin*
    Dynaheir
    Neera
    Xan

* You can have Neera, Dynaheir and Edwin in a party together if you rescue the ladies before recruiting Edwin

That was before the patch that added Baeloth to the game. If I were to do a run like this now, I'd probably have him instead of either Neera (to reduce the Wild Magic unpredictability) or Dynaheir (to just have a more consistant party alignment-wise). Come to think of it, you can have an almost entirely Evil party with Xzar and Baeloth instead of Imoen and Dynaheir.

BG2:

Imoen
    Nalia
    Aerie
    Jan
    Edwin

Unfortunately you can't have Neera and Edwin together in BG2. You can have an almost entirely Good aligned party if you swap Edwin for Neera, but for me, it's almost like not playing BG if I don't have Edwin ;p.

I highly recommend doing something like this, as it's a completely different experience in terms of approaching combat and you can learn a lot about the game (especially if aren't into magic that much). Very nice to keep the game fresh after many playthroughs.

Of course you can ease the restrictions a little, by, for example, allowing some physical damage in the form of a Fighter/Mage protagonist or having spellcasters in general (arcane, divine, bards).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Here's my new BG2EE party, The Bad Luck Gang:
    Sid - Gnome Fighter/Illusionist (seriously, whose luck is worse than CHARNAME's?)
    Anomen (he will fail his test, and he's stuck with perhaps the worst personality ever)
    Valygar (Ruddy wizards won't leave him be, really embarrassing relatives)
    Mazzy (Jailed by a shadow and can't be a Paladin)
    Feste - MP generated Jester (How did HE end up in Amn?? Plus he blew a gig in Baldur's Gate by getting kidnapped)
    Yoshimo (SPOILER)
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Yannir said:

This gave me an idea of a party of the faithful with monks, paladins and clerics.

Probably with Rasaad, Keldorn, Anomen, Aerie and PC as a gnome T/C. If I want full party, I'll include Mazzy. Although she is a fighter, she acts like a paladin. Going to exclude Viconia because of alignment.

I think I might go ahead with this party. Alrdy have a the Gnome T/C, which I made a few weeks ago for laughs.. :smiley:
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    Next time I'm goig to play the UCL aka Unstoppable Chaos League!
    It will have Jan, Haer'Dalis, Neera, Minsc, Korgan and a Cleric PC.
    Yoshimo is not an option since spoiler. I find Nalia annoying.
    It might double as the bad luck team since:
    -The woman loved by Jan chooses a douchebag over him
    -Haer'Dalis is hunted by powerful extra planars for a play #jesuischarlie (and gets enslaved by a mage)
    -Neera a wild mage that had to leave her village because of "accidents" and is hunter by red wizards.
    -Minsc's witch gets killed and he's captured by an evil wizard. His hamster is smarter than him.
    -Korgan ends up killing the parties he joins most of time and the Book is useless. (Least unlucky)
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Freaks and Geeks is one I've thought of doing. Good (mostly) natured characters who for whatever reason don't quite fit in with the society around them. You could probably include most of the NPC's under that vague description, but I narrowed to most prominent ones:

Aerie - Having been an actual circus freak, and very much an 'intelligent alien' struggling to understand and get used to the world around her.
    Minsc - Because... well, Minsc.
    Haer'Dalis - Again, kind of an alien in that world.
    Neera - Because... Neera.
    Jan Jansen - Because... yeah, he's Jan.
    Or Viconia. I'll have her ready as a substitute if needed.

And my PC - An ugly elf with a beard. No wait... elven technologist... no that was another game entirely... gnomish monk.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    I've been thinking of a "Warriors of Light" group based on Final Fantasy I (so a group of 4 max).

PC - warrior or maybe even a paladin
    Rasaad - monk
    Sefana/Imoen - thief
    Xan - black Mage

Not sure who could fill the role of white/red Mage. Maybe Branwen? The "Warriors of Light" seem like good natured characters so I doubt evil npc's will really fit...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Noobacca PC Cleric/Mage; there are already NPC warriors and paladin to fill the slot.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    @FinneousPJ‌ So a PC cleric/Mage as a "red mage"? Then have NPC warrior, thief and "black Mage"? That'll work pretty well
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah.
  • manutd_fan_1999manutd_fan_1999 Member Posts: 34
    maybe if you went with all six @Noobacca‌,

Warrior/Knight - Ajantis or PC Undead Hunter (evil - Dorn)
    Black Belt (Monk)/Master - Rasaad or PC Monk (evil - PC Dark Moon Monk)
    Thief/Ninja - Coran or PC F/M/T (evil - Montaron)
    Red Mage/Red Wizard - Jaheira or PC F/M/C (evil - Jaheira)
    White Mage/White Wizard - Branwen or PC Priest of Lathander (evil - Viconia)
    Black Mage/Black Wizard - Xan or Sorcerer (evil - Edwin)
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I'm currently doing little people, Me a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist, Kagain, Monty, Yeslick, Quayle and Tiax, will continue in BG2 with Korgan, Jan and Mazzy.

I've done an all mages run, with Xzar dualled to Cleric, Me Mage/Thief, Edwin, Baeloth and Xan....guess I could've used Quayle and Dynaheir but Baeloth and Edwin is a handful alone.

Done all rogues, me as an Asassin, Shar-Tael dualled to Thief, Safana, Monty and Imoen...different gamestyle but fun =)

Might go all Cleric next time...Viccy, Branwen, Yeslick, Dualled Xzar, Tiax, Quyale........not into playing C/T so I guess we just heal all trap damage =)