Skip to content

Backstab mechanic

I was wondering how backstab works in IWD (or BG for that matter).

Can you do Backstab with *any* weapons? Large weapon such as Katana, Halbert, Greatsword.
And If you use two weapon style, do you backstab with *both* weapons at once?

Do Ranger Stalker backstab work exactly the same as thief backstab?
kcwise

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2015
    You can only backstab with weapons that a normal thief can use.

If you're dual wielding, you only backstab with 1 weapon. I have heard it said that you backstab with whatever weapon has a lower speed factor, but I think you always backstab with your main hand.

Stalker backstab works the same as thief backstab.

I should probably mention that this is for BG:EE, but I imagine it's the same for IWD:EE.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • bernardchubernardchu Member Posts: 44
    So if you have fighter/thief character, you have to use "thief" weapons to backstab?

If the case of stalker character, do you have to use "thief" weapons as well to backstab? Eventhough Stalkers can use heavy weapons.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Near Infinity helped me fix this problem, but at the cost of making thieves able to use many more weapons.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The infinity engine rules yes...at least for now.

Well...technically, the actual PnP rule for Backstabbing is any melee weapon you're proficient with, since making a backstab requires a very precise strike, which is impossible for a weapon you're not very familiar with.

And that was the PnP Assassin kits primary bonus (aside for their poison oriented bonuses), they could be proficient in ANY weapon.

Though also in PnP, you generally only get to backstab once per encounter.

That said, it would actually probably be possible to set-up a PnP accurate backstab mechanic that allows use of any weapon, but you can only backstab each enemy once, since IWD already includes a similar mechanic with the way sneak attacks are implemented.
    lolienjackjack