Skip to content

Priest of Talos' Storm Shield should have the appropriate duration at levels 1-9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19

HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
edited January 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
(Easiest to check with NearInfinity, no repro case necessary.)

The Priest of Talos' Storm Shield ability (SPCL721.spl) is missing certain steps in its level progression. From the spell's description: "This spell lasts 1 round per level of the caster."
The Priest of Talos first receives this ability at level 1, but the spell only has durations that correspond to a caster level of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20. That means the spell is missing the appropriate duration for the caster levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19.

The same bug also exists in BG2:EE v1.3, where the minimum level of a Cleric is level 7.
Post edited by Hurricane on
lolienhook71JuliusBorisov

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, this description was created by us, while the spell itself is coming from vanilla ToB. Probably we should rephrase the description. Note: there is no need to add level 2,3,4,5,6 and 7. Level 1 is there to cover anything from 1 to minimum level.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    edited January 2015

Yeah, this description was created by us, while the spell itself is coming from vanilla ToB.

You may have created the description for the spell file, but vanilla ToB already contained the declaration of "1 round per level". See the description of the Priest of Talos in vanilla ToB, StringRef 25221:

"STORM SHIELD: This spell lasts 6 seconds per level of the caster."

It doesn't say that the progression is only supposed to start at the beginning of SoA.

Probably we should rephrase the description. Note: there is no need to add level 2,3,4,5,6 and 7.

I disagree. Just because the minimum Cleric level in vanilla ToB was level 7 doesn't mean the spell shouldn't scale accordingly for BG1 levels. This is especially true because we have Boon of Lathander for comparison. This BG2 spell didn't have the low-level durations either, but its progression was expanded accordingly for BG:EE, now starting at 1 round for caster level 1. Storm Shield is exactly the same case.

Edit: Or did I misunderstand you and you were only talking about BG2:EE? Because I'm talking about BG:EE, where the minimum Cleric level is 1.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, i thought we talk about BG2EE. In BGEE, it is given at level 1, all levels should be added.
    hook71Hurricane
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    Then we agree. :) Thanks for clarifying.