Skip to content

SCS party

MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
I've been thinking of a party with less magic users and more melee for insane SCS. Since mages (and clerics to some extent) are the most dangerous enemies in SCS I've been thinking about a triple magic resist frontline.
Keldorn+Rasaad+Cernd (improved shapeshifting). Even though they benefit from buffs they're not weak to dispels and can function without them.
I will complement them with a sorcerer PC, Aerie and Jan.

Do you guys think this party can do it? I've been thinking about replacing Cernd with Haer'Dalis but I'm not sure how effective he can be since he won't resist Keldorn's (unnerfed) dispel.

NB: I have balduran's cloak from BG1.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    The trio is powerful, Haer can buff with spell immunity:abjuration to be immune to Keldorn's dispel. He can also throw a high leveled remove magic as well. After Keldorn's dispel/true sight, Haer's remove magic and other spell debuffs, let Cernd unleash insect plagues and you will slay most of the enemy mages.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The party can absolutely do it. While Insane SCS can be challenging at times, it is by no means exclusive to a degree that it will stop certain classes from working. Yes it may be more difficult than with other combinations, but your setup will be able to go through it all the way just the same.

That being said, your premise is interesting; I'm just not so sure that magical damage is the issue with SCS mages. The actual problem, in my opinion, are their insanely tough defenses. While MR is helpful, SCS mages have plenty of ways to ruin your day even with a high MR setup - and iirc they even do things like cast Lower Resistance on people they find have high MR. What's more important than MR imo is the ability to get through the mages' defenses, and finish the fight before too much nasty stuff happens. Of course you do have Keldorn for that, who does quite the excellent job at dispelling anyone and everyone... ;) You may run into issues with SI:Ab though, which is found rather frequently in SCS...
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2015
    I will have 3 arcane casters to take protections down, one of them being a sorcerer so I should almost always have enough answers.
    I know about lower resistance and lower resist sequencers but that's the point of having 3 of them. They have to waste a lot of time to bring their MR down while my own mages will strip them of their protections.

I have a bonus question: can mr lowering be dispelled?
    Post edited by Meyahi on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Meyahi said:

I will have 3 arcane casters to take protections down, one of them being a sorcerer so I should almost always have enough answers.
    I know about lower resistance and lower resist sequencers but that's the point of having 3 of them. They have to waste a lot of time to bring their MR down while my own mages will trip them of their protection.

I have a bonus question: can mr lowering be dispelled?

No, it can not be dispelled by any means until the duration runs out. (Which is 1 round/level for a maximum of 20 rounds for a 20th lvl caster.)