Skip to content

Min/max party composition for BGII/ToB in a SCS environment? *Spoilers*

What do you think is the most powerful party possible for a good/evil party and why?

My take is:

Good:
Keldorn, Imoen, Anomen, Minsc, Aerie

PC: Sorcerer or Wildmage

I'd probably replace Aerie with Sarevok in ToB (make him CG), but maybe it's better to replace Minsc.

Imho the good characters are more difficult to pick then the evil ones (and less powerful except for Keldorn). Keldorn and Imoen are quite self explaining, since there isn't a powerful good aligned wizard in the game a wizard PC makes most sense imho. Beyond that I think going for the all around most damaging characters is the way to go. I never tried Valygar, so I cannot tell how useful he really is. I found Aerie and Jaheira to be kind of underwhelming in ToB and I'd much rather have a Berserker then Minsc.

Evil:
Korgan, Edwin, Viconia, Dorn, Hexxat

PC: I'm not so sure here, I'm leaning towards Wizard Slayer/Thief. This would make the PC rather low powered during much of SoA but allows to replace Hexxat with Sarevok in ToB. The lack of a second mage could hurt though. But mages are the most powerful foes in SCS so I think Wizard Slayer isn't the worst pick. The alternative would probably be Kensai/Mage. I generally think melee is the way to go because you hit 21 strength without items (+2 in hell+1 from machine of lum, +1 if you start with BG I).

Since there are only 6 evil characters the weakest has to go once you meet Sarevok. Hexxat would be my first pick because a plain thief just cannot compete with the other characters at higher levels, even with the nice immunities. The stats are not crucial either, ac becomes less important as the game progresses and you find more then enough strength boosting items.

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    What about a multi or dual thief/Mage for the evil party?

For the good party I'd think:
    Keldorn
    Mazzy
    Jan
    Sarevok

As the first 4. PC and last choice are tricky. Need a good divine and a good pure arcane for the last 2 slots. Ideas welcome, I'd maybe go with Cernd and a Wild Mage PC except for missing out on raise dead.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You may want to check out the powergaming thread for BG2/ToB: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17960/powergaming-party-bg2-tob-npc-and-multiplayer/p1

Of course, that's mostly dealing with custom parties. When it comes to the game NPCs, there are some issues you need to consider for the composition, such as party conflicts etc. (no Keldorn + Viconia for example).

Generally speaking, the best NPCs are probably Keldorn, Edwin, Viconia, and Sarevok (though he is a very late addition). Aerie and Jan are also pretty decent, and the rest are not TOO far behind (except Cernd, nobody likes Cernd).

I don't particularly like clerics for BG2. They're useful, sure, but the game is not very tanky and there aren't that many buffs that are worthwhile, particularly considering how powerful mages are. SCS only compounds this by adding even more arcane trouble, dispels for your buffs, and nerfs to cheese like TS+Harm (which was Aerie's signature move, really).

Most importantly of course, if you're min/maxing then it's all about damage - doing as much of it as you can on the one hand, and actually getting it through on the other. For the latter, you need dispels and protection removal first and foremost. SCS is loaded with casters hiding under layers upon layers of protective spells, and you need to be able to deal with that. An Inquisitor is one very good way (arguably too good...), but you also need some arcane casters to deal with things like SI:Abjuration and the likes. Arcane casters however suffer from lower damage output (outside of AoE) so you want as many as possible to be in combination with Fighter. That is a bit difficult when going with the game NPCs, because you can dual so few of them, and less even at convenient levels (like Sarevok, who would be a KICKASS F->M if only you got him earlier...).

So, it is pretty much a given that you have to stray from the theoretical optimum when using game NPCs, but that's no big deal. I think that any min/max party would probably be have to centered around Keldorn, though; while you could make your PC the Inquisitor, I think that the lack of properly dual-able NPCs and Keldorn's quite acceptable stats make a Keldorn + dual PC combo better than Inqu PC + X. What dual, you ask? Quite easily Kensai 9 -> Mage. While that combination has been equally revered and derided over time, I am still convinced it is the best choice. Yes, a F/M dual has things going for it as well, but I still believe it's not better for 90% of the game, making it overall worse than K->M (in the average scenario anyway; there are setups where this does not hold true). That covers the most important bases of a SCS party, dispels, mage spells, and damage output. Now to refine it even further!

Sarevok is an obvious choice, but a very late addition to the party. You can probably game around that, too; the optimal party size, I found, is something around 4-5, giving the best balance of extra damage and XP distribution. Since XP is most relevant at early game, why don't we start with 4, and then add S-dawg once we get to him? We have a K->M and an Inquisitor, so we probably want another mage (did I mention mages are really really good in BG2?). Now there are two possible choices I can see: either Edwin, sacrificing convenient damage output for more spells; or Haer'Dalis, cutting back a bit on the spells and emulating a F/M of sorts with his Blade kit. I think it's very hard to decide on this objectively. Personally I prefer Haer'Dalis simply because of the convenience, not having to micro spells all the time etc. His output is quite acceptable with things like Tenser's Transformation, and he can use most of the relevant spells (i.e. dispels and Improved Haste). That leaves the fourth spot to another damage dealer, and it's a difficult choice. Korgan is a possibility, as is Mazzy; but pure fighters can be a bit one-dimensional. Rasaad is another option, as Monks can get quite good. It would be nice to take Dorn, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't work with Keldorn...
    I honestly can't say for certain what to do here. Since I haven't tested setups with game NPCs exhaustively, I can judge things mostly from a theoretical perspective. In that regard, I'd probably go with Rasaad. However, it is entirely possible to fill that slot with something else entirely, like another caster. Take Edwin, or even Aerie, for more spell power; you lose a lot of no-questions-asked damage until you get Sarevok, but may fare better in ToB. You could also take a thief along (I don't like thieves much in BG2), in which case Hexxat is a decent choice, or Jan for even more flexibility.

I'd be glad to get some input from people who've actually played with the NPCs a lot. I have tons of experience with min/max parties, but only with custom ones; it could be interesting to see how the NPCs fit into the established models.

Also, I have not gotten to play the new BG2 HoF mode yet (hopefully soon! when the grip of capitalism releases me at last...) and that may change things around quite considerably.
  • SpoCk0nd0peSpoCk0nd0pe Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2015
    Yes, right, I didn't really think about Mazzy. With gauntlets of ogre power she really is a decent pick. She certainly has odd weapon proficiencies (short bow for a fighter?) but she should gain enough points to turn her into a proper dual wielder. Is her haste cast instantly? And is it improved haste?

Jan is certainly a viable alternative to Imoen, his alignment is neutral though. I still prefer Imoen because she reaches capable spell casting earlier and gains mage HLAs quicker. Besides Jan cannot cast Horrid Wilting. Her thieving skills are sufficient imho.

I'm personally not a big fan of clerics in BGII, but maybe I just didn't use them to full effect. Maybe I should have relied on insect spells more to deal with casters but Jaheira was interrupted very frequently in difficult fights, even though I optimized her for ac.

If you do not mind using neutral characters Neera is a decent caster. Her con is a little low so she will end up with fairly low HP, but Wildmage is a good class.

[edit]
    Thank you Tansheron for your detailed post!

Arcane casters however suffer from lower damage output (outside of AoE) so you want as many as possible to be in combination with Fighter. That is a bit difficult when going with the game NPCs, because you can dual so few of them, and less even at convenient levels (like Sarevok, who would be a KICKASS F->M if only you got him earlier...)..

I usually build one mage to abuse Timestop->Improved Alcalary with Robes of Venca, which is the exception to that rule. Project image allows for that combination to go off multiple times.

As for NPCs: I think Korgan is pretty good as well, Dorn probably too (didn't play EE yet though). Aerie never received the love she deserved because without Robes of Venca she came off as rather medcore in my playthroughs.

There certainly is a window where playing with 4 characters is better, especially since the items in BGII are so ridiculously powerful. But in the end you probably want actions per round, so more characters will help a lot.
    Post edited by SpoCk0nd0pe on

She certainly has odd weapon proficiencies (short bow for a fighter?)

Short bows are the best bows in BG2. Tuigan Bow gives you max APR (no longbow does that), and Gesen Bow is a bow that hits with +4 enchantment (required to hit certain enemies). You could argue for crossbows I suppose, but certainly not longbows ;) Not without further modding anyway.

I usually build one mage to abuse Timestop->Improved Alcalary with Robes of Venca, which is the exception to that rule. Project image allows for that combination to go off multiple times.

That is a topic for a whole separate thread, suffice it to say that TS is a big damage trap ;) It's very often an overall damage loss, because the rest of your party doesn't actually get to do anything. Its main benefit is in fact defensive (keeping enemies from doing anything) rather than offensive. PI is also a thing of its own, with different factors to consider... Of course, given that the overall power level in a game NPC party is lower, spells are somewhat more powerful than they would be in a custom party full of fighter duals. A very good point to bring up and consider.

There certainly is a window where playing with 4 characters is better, especially since the items in BGII are so ridiculously powerful. But in the end you probably want actions per round, so more characters will help a lot.

This is definitely true, however I find that the difficulty curve of SCS is not linear, but rather tapers off a bit after mid game. Early/mid game is usually more challenging (for me anyway) because you don't have all the tools at your disposal yet. Once every mage is rocking L9 spells and everyone is wielding +5 weapons, you don't really need to do much... But killing Tactics Tor'Gal with everyone in +2 gear... ;)
    When talking about timestop being a damage loss you mean against immune opponents? Or do you mean because haste runs out and casting new haste burns the rounds you got from timestop?

What about weapon selection? Would you try to skill Sarevok for TWF? Or just go with Ravager? What are your favorite main hand weapons? I personally think flail of ages, axe of unyielding and black razor (especially if modded to +5, the way it should have been:)) are among the best. Anything noteworthy that I missed?

About the powercurve: I personally made different experiences with a NPC party, but maybe I just played differently. I could successfully avoid the more difficult encounters until later in the game (mostly high level mages and Illithids)

When talking about timestop being a damage loss you mean against immune opponents? Or do you mean because haste runs out and casting new haste burns the rounds you got from timestop?

I mean that you are reducing your overall damage output by removing your other other party members from the action. Think of it this way: TS is essentially a stun on everyone but the caster. That means that for the whole duration of TS, all your other party members are doing 0 damage. That is usually a bigger loss than you would gain from being able to cast spells uninterrupted with your mage. Of course, I do concede freely that TS is a great defensive spell - being able to get off all the casts you want in peace can be a great thing. But it isn't a universal damage bomb as some people think. Very often you'd end up doing a lot more if you'd just cast your spells normally, while everyone else in your party continues clubbing things over the head.

What about weapon selection? Would you try to skill Sarevok for TWF? Or just go with Ravager? What are your favorite main hand weapons? I personally think flail of ages, axe of unyielding and black razor (especially if modded to +5, the way it should have been:)) are among the best. Anything noteworthy that I missed?

I actually have a ranking of weapons by average damage. The best ones are FoA+5, Crom Faeyr, Club of Detonation+5, Angurvadal+5, and Foebane+5. Of course that ranking can change depending on many factors (CF especially since its main power comes from the 25 STR), and is based on endgame levels, not taking into account availability during early game. In general though, I think it's safe to say that FoA is the universally best weapon as it's available early and ends up the best 1h, no contest. I don't like Axe of the Unyielding, mostly because all the other axes are fairly mediocre and all the relevant enemies are immune to vorpal hits anyway.
    Once modded weapons come into play, things change considerably of course ;) I highly recommend the Item Revisions mod by @Demivrgvs [if you're reading this, SO sorry I haven't found time to fully review the v4 Beta yet... Can't play, can't play, and it's driving me mad!]

About the powercurve: I personally made different experiences with a NPC party, but maybe I just played differently. I could successfully avoid the more difficult encounters until later in the game (mostly high level mages and Illithids)

You're absolutely right of course that things can vary considerably depending on when you do them. I usually do all the side areas before the Underdark, which can be tricky at times (Shadow Temple liches/shadow dragon...). I would never impose my personal curve on other people, so I guess you're right that I should add that as a caveat - though of course given the WILDLY different nature of personal game setups, a big fat "YMMV" should always be considered implied :P
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    I mean that you are reducing your overall damage output by removing your other other party members from the action. Think of it this way: TS is essentially a stun on everyone but the caster. That means that for the whole duration of TS, all your other party members are doing 0 damage. That is usually a bigger loss than you would gain from being able to cast spells uninterrupted with your mage. Of course, I do concede freely that TS is a great defensive spell - being able to get off all the casts you want in peace can be a great thing. But it isn't a universal damage bomb as some people think. Very often you'd end up doing a lot more if you'd just cast your spells normally, while everyone else in your party continues clubbing things over the head.
    I have trouble viewing things this way. Since no one else is moving, the only damage "cost" is if you are looking at real time. For the game, you are getting 3 free rounds of action and damage instantly so everyone resumes clubbing things over the head when the TS runs out. Therefore, there is no damage cost - it is just a frequently massive increase in damage with that period of TS added to the normal flow of time. At least, that is my perspective.
    AHF said:

I have trouble viewing things this way. Since no one else is moving, the only damage "cost" is if you are looking at real time. For the game, you are getting 3 free rounds of action and damage instantly so everyone resumes clubbing things over the head when the TS runs out. Therefore, there is no damage cost - it is just a frequently massive increase in damage with that period of TS added to the normal flow of time. At least, that is my perspective.

That argument comes up surprisingly often, and I just don't understand it. Why all of a sudden does time not matter? I use the "stun on everyone but the caster" analogy because that is pretty much exactly how TS works - buffs etc. will even continue to count down while it's in progress. You can certainly look at it as "3 free rounds", but imo it's more accurate to look at it as "everyone else loses 3 rounds".

I've gone into this in more detail in another thread, but it essentially comes down to how you measure time in the game, or more precisely in the damage/time calculation. If you simply assume that no time passes during TS, wouldn't that make its DPT quotient infinite (assuming you see time as limit function approaching 0, it obviously can't be 0). Since obviously you are not dealing infinite damage, time has to pass - but in that case, what about everyone else? Why are they suddenly discounted? Yes they can't act - but if they could, had you not cast TS, wouldn't you agree that in the same time period they would be dealing damage? And that, consequently, the total damage output of the party would be higher?

As I said, I just don't understand the logic behind the argument, specifically why time seems to suddenly be measured so differently in the comparison.
    edited January 2015
    I personally think the Timestop argument really is an issue for another thread (not that I haven't fueled it myself).

About weapon damage: What strength do you take as reference point? Because the difference between 20 and 22 strength is only 2 damage. Also there is the deck of many things, tome of gainful exercise (BG1), machine of lum and test of wrath.
    Last time I tested Blackrazor (talking unmodded here) it quickly got my strength to 25 with the added benefit of haste (I know it cancels improved haste but that's a bug), heal and the occasional level drain. Even though it wasn't with SCS, the sword was really huge in my playthrough. My pure kensai mauled the huge mob on the first level of watchers keep alone (21 strength from the getgo, no extra attacks offhand, didn't minmax as efficiently back then). I have no true powergaming experience with it though.
    The axe's (of unyielding) HP aspect is nothing to sneeze at imho, until then there is frostreaver (but really not much else).

Club of detonation is an interesting choice. I never tested it but I think the random fireballs could get problematic if your party is clumped up. Besides, firedamage is the most commonly resisted.

About the power curve:
    What you say is very much true. The bottom line is probably: If you manage your power curve a little, it is beneficial to go with fewer party memebers for many of the earlier quests to level up quicker.

I actually tried the item revisions mod. But it does assume vanilla balance so some items feel disappointing once you install SCS (because it's much harder to get there). Besides, overpowered items is part of the fun in BGII. Last time I played, I mostly just installed what SCS had adapted.
    Lastly I have a bad habit if starting to install mods, I end up modding more then playing (Skyrim anyone?). So I simply decided I won't install anything that remotely messes with SCS balance (modding Blackrazor to +5 being the only exception). Next time I play it will be with fixpack (if needed), tweakpack, unfinished business (or successor), ascension, improved hell trials (hopefully!) and SCS.
    Post edited by SpoCk0nd0pe on

About weapon damage: What strength do you take as reference point? Because the difference between 20 and 22 strength is only 2 damage.

It depends a lot on the actual values in question. The lower the initial STR, the more of a benefit Crom Faeyr confers. If you assume your PC is a fighter with 18/50 STR (the average), going to 25 STR is +6 THAC0 and +11 damage - which is HUGE (compare to FoA+5 average base damage per hit of 19.5). If you have 19 base STR (from one of the stat boosts, or being a Half-Orc) it's still +4 THAC0 / +7 damage.

That being said, you are 100% correct in that CF's value can fluctuate greatly depending on the STR values in question. Not only because your characters may have different stats, but also because CF actually is three separate items, two of which confer STR boosts of their own (gloves/belt). There are many cases in which it is actually better to leave CF split and use the component items instead of assembling the hammer - but that, again, depends on party setup and stat values.

I'd also like to briefly point out that many people believe CF is best used as an offhand weapon. While you can certainly do that (and find scenarios in which it's optimal), CF actually does deal quite good base damage on its own - and it can be combined with a +APR OH to even further benefit from the STR bonus. But again, and as always: YMMV with the individual setup.

Last time I tested Blackrazor (talking unmodded here) it quickly got my strength to 25 with the added benefit of haste (I know it cancels improved haste but that's a bug), heal and the occasional level drain. Even though it wasn't with SCS, the sword was really huge in my playthrough. My pure kensai mauled the huge mob on the first level of watchers keep alone (21 strength from the getgo, no extra attacks offhand, didn't minmax as efficiently back then). I have no true powergaming experience with it though.
    The axe's (of unyielding) HP aspect is nothing to sneeze at imho, until then there is frostreaver (but really not much else).

Blackrazor is absolutely a very good weapon. I used to use it before I modded weapons, as it's very conveniently a long sword and I want to use those anyway. It bridges the time until Angurvadal+5 nicely, but it's not better - of course, that is fairly late into ToB, and Blackrazor works very nicely until then to be sure.
    The Axe I just cannot make friends with. The HP bonus seems so minor a bonus considering you have to spend 90% of the game with a bad proficiency because most of the other axes are so mediocre. Add to that the fact that the vorpal hit only really works against monsters you don't care about in the first place, and it's just not something I want to have anything to do with. Not because AotU+5 is bad per se, but just because you can't really fit it into your overall scheme well enough, and there's enough better alternatives.

Club of detonation is an interesting choice. I never tested it but I think the random fireballs could get problematic if your party is clumped up. Besides, firedamage is the most commonly resisted.

Enemy resistances are not actually a huge deal (though you're certainly right about it being the most common elemental resistance), but blowing up your own party can be. It's certainly not a weapon for the faint of heart, but it can be devastatingly effective. I like to go big on fire resistance on my party in general, and that helps a little - but it can absolutely backfire in bad spots and I would not recommend it for things like no-reload runs ;)

I actually tried the item revisions mod. But it does assume vanilla balance so some items feel disappointing once you install SCS (because it's much harder to get there). Besides, overpowered items is part of the fun in BGII. Last time I played, I mostly just installed what SCS had adapted.

As with all mods, it's a matter of taste mostly. I like that the mod makes it harder to get certain items, but what I love in particular is that you have much more choice in what you use, because the differences between weapons aren't as large as they are with many vanilla weapons. Things like FoA+5 definitely deserve the nerf, that weapon is just crazy OP :P I do agree that overpowered items can be fun, but that's what mods are for - you use them at your discretion, and to fit your level of experience. I have played through SCS so many times it's gotten too easy for me, so toning down the super powerful items a little is a most welcome change for me; but not for everyone.
  • DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
    @Lord_Tansheron don't be sorry, I have TONS of beta testers and even if only a few are actively helping they are enough to find out the few small issues left, and IR never had much issues to begin with (SR is a bit more problematic when it comes to making it perfectly work alongside SCS). I always crave for more feedback about the balance of items and spells though. :smiley:

@SpoCk0nd0pe IR is indeed not for everyone (aka not for "power-players") but every vanilla item deemed as overpowered is still incredibly powerful even after IR's "nerf", it's just not brokenly OP. Also note that while a few super-OP items got slightly nerfed, TONS of mediocre items are now good or very good, thus the average power lvl of items is actually slightly higher imo. Maybe you cannot create an unstoppable solo monster, but I think it makes easier to fully equip a 4-6 characters party with much more cool stuff.
  • BayazBayaz Member Posts: 22
    Since you said 'scs enviorment' I would take Haer in either good/evil party, especially if you're playing with the fixed Bard spell tables and nerfed/fixed dispel. Keldorn is pretty useful early game but Haer is an absolute monster when you game him and he's so damn versatile. Can spec him mage killer, tank or spell sponge and he can use any/all the OP swords and if you wait till 15 to pick him up he gets an extra proficiency pip.
    edited January 2015
    Does Haer get a specialization in longswords? I remember trying him but that was way back before truly understanding the game. The wiki says offensive spin cannot be used in conjunction with improved haste which is kind of a letdown. He also seems kind of squishy HP wise and -13 AC is good but not quite enough for ToB (Aslyferund+defensive spin+dex). I dunno what spells bards get though, stoneskin and mirror image would certainly help a lot.

The main advantage of Keldorn besides the 1.5 level dispel (the way I install SCS) is that his dispel and truesight are immediate actions.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @SpoCk0nd0pe‌ Bards get all arcane spells (but not all spell levels). HP doesn't matter when you can just pop a stoneskin up.

HP doesn't matter when you can just pop a stoneskin up.

Not for melee but it still does for elemental or AoE attacks like fireball, dragon breath, horrid wilting, etc. as well as all the powerword spells the SCS casters like to throw out there.
    @AHF Spells can prevent that damage as well, if you know what to expect.
    Spells can prevent EVERYTHING! :P That's the whole point. I do agree that Haer'Dalis is quite great, and an acceptable substitute for a F/M dual if you're going for game NPCs.

@Demivrgvs‌ Thanks for your understanding, though I'd still like to contribute more... Things did not go as planned :( Two months of working hell now...

@AHF Spells can prevent that damage as well, if you know what to expect.

@FinneousPJ

No argument there. It is just that with SCS, you are less likely to know what to expect. Depending what options you select among their healthy menu, you will see some encounters randomized and the spellbooks of even non-random fights shuffled between plays. You may not know whether you are going to see a fireball or a skull trap, a wilting or a powerword blind, etc.

You can prep for every contingency every fight (fire resistance, ring of fire resistance, potion of fire resistance, belt of inertia, protection from magic energy, stoneskin, spell immunity: abjuration, spell immunity: conjuring, etc.) but that can be very tedious compared to some builds that are more naturally robust but more limited.

I was just expressing that I find value in the extra hit points even for casters -- especially in a SCS run.
    edited January 2015
    If you want to play with a reasonable amount of rests it is nigh impossible to protect yourself from all the spell attack angles. Spell immunity just doesn't last long enough and just about every magic capable foe you encounter will first remove magic. That's why I stopped using ironskin on Jaheira and armor of faith on Minsc. It just never ever mattered.
    Dispel Magic and Remove magic work a little too reliably imho. The fights would be more interesting if it was just slightly harder (both ways).

That's not to say Haer'Dalis isn't a viable character.
  • BayazBayaz Member Posts: 22

He also seems kind of squishy HP wise and -13 AC is good but not quite enough for ToB (Aslyferund+defensive spin+dex). I dunno what spells bards get though, stoneskin and mirror image would certainly help a lot.

The main advantage of Keldorn besides the 1.5 level dispel (the way I install SCS) is that his dispel and truesight are immediate actions.

Haer is way less squishy than Keldorn; damn near untouchable if you know what you're doing. Also Tensor's.

As you say, in SCS you don't what to expect which makes Haer invaluable as a backup plan in wizard duels. I'd say the real downside is he requires much more micromanagement while Keldorn is just dispel derping away.
    Bayaz said:

I'd say the real downside is he requires much more micromanagement while Keldorn is just dispel derping away.

Yeah - that is where I see the biggest difference. Keldorn or a Berzerker are just a couple clicks and you are off while a blade takes much more thought and micromanagement to be successful. Now the blade can do more (set traps, cast much wider range of spells, bard song, etc.) and do many of the things well but I am not always up for micromanaging too much and guys with relatively low HP who both melee and get into magic battles definitely fit the bill for micromanagement.

The extra spell levels of the bard are pretty important if you are comparing the bard to a multi-class, though. The effectiveness of dispel/remove magic in particular is pretty key.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    With SCS mages are just plain out required for some encounters so you generally might want more than usual. Edwin is just plain out the best mage where only a PC that is a Sorcerrer or one that heavily abuses the Wild Mage can match.

Aerie and Jaheira actually start to shine later in the game because they either offer a wide variety of spells or a great combination of spell casting and fighting. Jaheira can be one of the best tanks with very few spells as long as they are not dispelled.

Minsc and Korgan both can make great use of their berserk skill other than that the fighting classes are somewhat interchangeable with Keldorn beeing the obvious exception because of his dispel, true sight and Carosymir. If you don't want Keldorn a Cavalier as the PC might be great because of the non dispellable fear protection which is a lot more useful in SCS.
    Darkcloud said:

If you don't want Keldorn a Cavalier as the PC might be great because of the non dispellable fear protection which is a lot more useful in SCS.

There's no way a Cavalier would be better than an Inquisitor >_> Cheesy uber dispels are just too good. I can't even remember a fight where you'd need non-dispellable fear anyway, where would that matter?

Regarding general SCS strategies, it's absolutely true that it mixes things up a bit to keep you on your toes. However, despite its clever scripting the fights are in fact still very much predictable. You basically know what general thing will happen, and it's not that hard to prepare for it. And that doesn't mean counter-buffing to neutralize exactly every last thing that is thrown your way - you just need a general way to deal with things, and you worry about the details only in a select few cases. Most enemy types have a set way of approaching them that is actually far less complicated than people might think, once you figure it out. Example: to fight pretty much any dragon in SCS, I simply start the fight with a mage in melee, under SI:Ab and protection spells. I know there'll be a trigger with dispel coming, so I keep the team away until it hits. Then I pop a Breach for the dragon's defenses and go to town, tanking with the mage while the party proceeds to carve some dragon sashimi. Most enemy types are somewhat like that: you identify the key element that is the big issue, and deal with it; the rest you handle en route.

I am however very very VERY excited to see how things play out with the new HoF mode equivalent. You can afford to ignore minor mechanics in fights mostly because battles don't last long; even against bosses you regularly find yourself spending more rounds pre-buffing that actually fighting in the end. That should be very different with HoF-style HP levels. The longer fights last, the more time small things have to accumulate, and cause compounding problems - and the more relevant actual min/maxing becomes in the long run.
    @Lord_Tansheron HoF mode still cannot challenge a properly powerbuilt party. I recommend going with in game NPC levels of power max. Also, summons are buffed just like in IWDEE HoF, making skeleton warriors, mordy swords and planetars way too powerful.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302

Darkcloud said:

If you don't want Keldorn a Cavalier as the PC might be great because of the non dispellable fear protection which is a lot more useful in SCS.

There's no way a Cavalier would be better than an Inquisitor >_> Cheesy uber dispels are just too good. I can't even remember a fight where you'd need non-dispellable fear anyway, where would that matter?
    It depends how you installed the dispels at level component. If its at 1.0 the inquisitor is much worse. With 1.5 he still might dispel many mages.
    @Darkcloud: Even at x1 it's still instant cast dispels, plus True Sight. Also note that Inquisitor dispel is a lvl0 ability, meaning it penetrates immunities to spell levels (like on Liches, Rakshasa, etc.).

All in all I find that much more useful than the Cavalier abilities.