Skip to content

Draconis : The Hall of Fame

As the title say, a tribute to the hardest (and less loved...) dragon of the game.

So, how did you kill him? Party, strategy used, etc etc... let's share our experience.

---------------------------------------------

First of all, a screenshot of the moment i killed him : http://jeran.altervista.org/Draconis_Death.png

Strategy :

First of all, just look at the picture. As you can see, my party is made mostly of clerics. This mean my party get's a lot of buffs, not to mention that i have memorized a lot of Heal spells. In short words, a party made for last a long time.

More focused on defense than offense, i would say.

As you can see from the buffs, Viconia and Anomen are used both as cleric as melee fighters, like all the other party members. ( Even Aerie sometimes, i have a few selected buffs and triggers just for make her a decent melee fighter)

Battle is very simple : Anomen or Aerie/Nalia have to be ready to use True Sight when needed because Draconis likes to mislead and going invisible.

Nalia and Aerie use both a Spell Trigger ( Greater malison, Pierce Magic, Lower Resistence ), and after that both should use again a Lower Resistence.

Now, Draconis magical defense should be lower enough to damage him. So, what to do?

Answer : Aerie, Nalia, Anomen, Viconia for a short while have to fall back and then all of them should cast Finger of Death. Have at least 2 of them for each of these characters.

Draconis won't die, because somehow his magic resistance is high enough to protect him from instant kill. But 4 Finger of Death casted more than 1 time deal a lot of damage. And Draconis can't stop you because the other 2 party members are engaging him in a melee fight.

Melee fighters :

The first is Minsc. Nothing more to say...

The second is my pg. My pg is especially made to fight dragons. A monk with 103 Magic Resistance (most spells are ineffective against him) and a belt that in my opinion is the best belt of the game, bought in Trademeet.

Belt of Inertial Barrier :

+5 save vs breath weapons ( yes, that's a plus against dragons)

+25% resistance to missle damage

and lastly +50% resistance to Magic Damage ( this means that magic missle, Abi-Dazim, etc etc do only half damage).

Also, my monk has Gauntlets of Crushing and Book of Infinite Spells with Spell Turning memorized.

All in all, a strong melee fighter that almost always hit a enemy and that fear not magic. You know, 103 magic resistence + Spell Turning + belt bonus...

Nothing more to add. While Minsc and my monk fight, the others cast Finger of Death, Bolt of Glory, Abi-Dazim. If my pg or Minsc get hurt, use a potion or have Viconia/Aerie/Anomen cast Heal on them.

When Viconia or Anomen have no more spells, let them fight in melee too. With the right buffs they can fight very well.

Also, i have Nalia with a Chain Contingency of 3 Abi-Dazim that is triggered when a enemy hit her. I consider this cheating, so i don't use it.

But to end the fight well...i waited when Draconis was Near Death and then i made him hit Nalia to trigger the Contingency. I don't consider this cheating, afterall if i was able to bring him Near Death, i would have won even without the 3 Abi-Dazim.

From the picture you can see the result of the 3 Abi-Dazim, Nalia's death and my monk in the middle of the fight.

All in all, i think that my party is strong. Clerics and monks are my favourite classes... the combination of Monk, Minsc, a cleric/fighter, a cleric, a cleric/mage and a mage is great.

---------------------------------------------------

So, this is what i did. And you? Let's share our experience.
lunar

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Somewhat ashamed by this after seeing how you beat him, but the first time I beat him I used the Slayer. Eventually in a different game, I remembered to keep the pantaloons which came in pretty handy.
    by_the_sword
  • SymphonyofSwordsSymphonyofSwords Member Posts: 40
    Ruby ray of reversal to dispel his special dragon stone skin, followed by melee with improved haste and remove fear. Easy as dragon pie. ;-)
    JLeeby_the_sword
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    First time I beat him I blanketed the area with Spike Traps, poked him, and ran away. He was dead before he got back into vision.
    elminsterThrasymachus
  • XiaolinXiaolin Member Posts: 18
    Here is a bit of Draconis trivia

Immune to fear, poison and polymorph other. Don't bother with such spells and abilities.
    Vulenerable to blind and feeblemind.
    You can use all the HLAs to drop his human form, and pocket plane once he is in dragon form; Rest up with full spells / hp and go back via the entrance, he will still be in stage 2 (Dragon form). Feel free to summon and buff before attacking.

Get your dispels ready, your options are:
    Planetar which can see invis and dispel on attack
    Wand of spell striking, which can target improved invisible where your spells cannot
    Carsomyr, staff of magi
    Last option is to dispel the invisibility first, which is better done by thief detect illusion followed by true seeing. Then you can use breach etc once the improved invis drops.

The last hard part is to make sure Draconis never gets a heal in, I know a sure fire way of not letting that happen...
  • MasterteoMasterteo Member Posts: 111
    Poket plane during a fight is a bit playing dirty in my view, i will never do that. But we all have to play the way we like.

I, for example, am obsessed with Finger of Death. And i like the progression, it becames stronger with your level. (+ 1 damage/level of caster)

Also, i don't use spells like feeblemind and such. I like to face a dragon in it's full potential, in order to make the battle more "epic".

A battle of raw power (melee attacks) and raw magic ( dealt by mages and clerics). Plus, it's funny. First there is the fake battle, from when you start the fight to when you make him vulnerable because you have destroyed its magical shields and resistances.

Then, and only then, the real battle begins. Swords and offensive spells (that only deal damage) against the raw powers of a dragon.

Moradin
  • OllmerOllmer Member Posts: 73
    Lower resistance + feeblemind, and you may need several Death Spells to mop up his cockroaches.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Like Lord_Tansheron , I've found spike traps to be exceptionally helpful here.
    Aren't spike Traps a bit cheap? But we can play as we want, know that i'm not here to criticize.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    if the person he attacks in human form is your charname, he won't even be able to hit you in some cases (depending on your choices in the hell trials) as you will be immune to weapons <+1
    simples said:

if the person he attacks in human form is your charname, he won't even be able to hit you in some cases (depending on your choices in the hell trials) as you will be immune to weapons <+1</p>

Indeed, that's why i made it so that when Draconis did time stop my pg was near him. The result is that his time stop + keep hitting a character got wasted.

My monk was immune to all his attacks...Draconis wasted that time stop.

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Masterteo said:

Aren't spike Traps a bit cheap? But we can play as we want, know that i'm not here to criticize.

Why have them as an HLA if not to use them?
  • XiaolinXiaolin Member Posts: 18
    Spell trigger x3 Lower resistance and have Jaheira or a Ranger / Cleric walk up with Critical Strike + Harm.

Nalia's chain contingency Abi Dalzim x3 can be set to trigger on see enemy... You didn't need to kill her (Maybe she was too annoying? :open_mouth: )
    Xiaolin said:

Spell trigger x3 Lower resistance and have Jaheira or a Ranger / Cleric walk up with Critical Strike + Harm.

Nalia's chain contingency Abi Dalzim x3 can be set to trigger on see enemy... You didn't need to kill her (Maybe she was too annoying? :open_mouth: )

As i said before, i consider the Chain Contingency 3 x Abi-Dazim almost " cheating " , if i set the contingency on see enemy, i would have been forced to keep Nalia away from the combat.

Instead this way, i could use her.

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    edited January 2015
    1- cast shapechange
    2- see draconis
    3- cast timestop
    4- change to mindflayer
    5- eat his brain
    Post edited by mumumomo on