Skip to content

What's is the best mod?

BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
Hey,

What is the best mod so far? I'm not quite new when it comes to mod a game and I've actually enjoyed installing new mods to GTA San Andreas back in a year.

P.S

I've mentioned GT SA because back then I've collected the best mods for that game tried it with one another to see if it run with/without problem then discard those that crashes it or having conflict with other mods so my question is not only what is the best mod for this game (BGEII) but rather can it also be installed all at once?

Cheers,
BGEFanatic

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Hey BGEFanatic, welcome to the forums. It's difficult to answer your question without knowing what you're looking for exactly. Mods could be distinguished in:

- mods that change gameplay in many many ways (difficulty of battles, item prices, weapon accessibility, modifications of kits etc etc);
    - mods that add quests;
    - mods that introduce new NPCs or add banter or quests to existing NPCs;
    - mods that introduce new kits;
    - mods that introduce new items.

There are good mods and bad mods in all these categories. Note that some mods combine two or even more of the above aspects. For example various NPC mods not only introduce the new NPC, but also include a quest for that NPC and possibly one or more new items.

In my experience you might want to watch out with mods that introduce items because some of these items are overpowered and break the game balance.

Anyway, maybe you could specify what kind of changes you'd like to make to your game?

Also, I take it you've played through the unmodded trilogy a few times already. If not, then I would even recommend you to wait with modding your game too much.
  • BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    No I haven't played the vanilla version of the game yet - I've just bought it yesterday. What I basically want is to add the whole thing; new quest, new items, etc.
    Is there a mod that adds or changes the appearances though?
    In that case I'd wait with heavily modding (altering) the game. After your first playthrough(s) you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to change/add.

I believe the NPC1 Project mod is available for BG1:EE. Does anyone know whether this is true, and where it can be found?
    If you could install this mod, you'd have much more banter between your NPCs, which makes them really come to life more than in the original game. I'd recommend not installing anything beyond said mod.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Blackraven‌ - It isn't really recommended to install BG1 NPC Project unless you know what you're doing, or at least that's what it said the last time I checked.
    Agree, I will playthrough the game for now and see what to change. BTW this topic is BG2:EE related.

@Blackraven‌ - It isn't really recommended to install BG1 NPC Project unless you know what you're doing, or at least that's what it said the last time I checked.

Thanks @SapphireIce101. @BGEFanatic, if the mod can't be safely installed, then forget what I said before about using it.

Thanks @SapphireIce101. @BGEFanatic, if the mod can't be safely installed, then forget what I said before about using it.
    but does the recommendation compatible also with BGII:EE though?
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Personally:

BG1: NPC Project
    BG2: Ascension

I believe those to be must haves.
    @BGEFanatic: NPC Project is a mod for BG1 (where NPCs in the original game have almost no banter). For BG2 you won't need such a mod, since the NPCs already have scripted banter in the original version of the game.

@Archaos:
    (1) can BG1 NPC Project be safely used in the EE version? I.e. without bugs, crashes to desktop etc.?
    (2) would you recommend Ascension to someone who just bought the games and is going to play for the first time?
    @Archaos‌: I'll be looking forward on that one mate. Thanks!

@Blackraven: I understand, so what mod do you recommend for BG2:EE though?
    BGEFanatic, re:BG1 NPC project, you could keep track of this thread http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project/p24

As to recommendable mods for BG2EE, well I would wait with SCS and Ascension until you've experienced the vanilla game (because these mods make the game much harder, while it's already hard enough as it is for a first-timer). I would also wait with mods that change gameplay/rules etc. Some of these are good mods IMO, such as Rogue Rebalancing and Wizard Slayer Rebalancing (should you want to play a Wizad Slayer), but you'll be able to judge for yourself once you've experienced the original game.

You could consider installing 'Unfinished Business' as it ties up a couple of loose ends in the original game, maybe 'Banter Packs' and 'IEP Extended Banters' to have more, often funny banter. And you could also take a look at the mod NPCs and install one you really find interesting.
    NPC's mod are plenty can it be install all of em? I'm that greedy. lol
    You could install as many as you want, but I recommend you to read about them first. They're not all equally well-written, and some are OP or come with overly difficult quest or OP items.
    But there are mods that bring BG1 NPCs into BG2 (Alora, Coran, Branwen, Tiax, Xan). These could be interesting for you if you happen to have any of these NPCs in your party in BG1. Other NPC mods I can recommend from my experience would be Angelo, Isra (both BG1and BG2), Gavin (both BG1and BG2), Tasha, Adrian. BUt keep in mind that these are my personal tastes, yours might well be very different.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I would use the BG1NPC Project for the first game if you can get it working.

For the other games there are some things called "tweak packs" that can add minor hassle-reducing things to your game (make sure you can carry more than 80 arrows in a box for example)

Other than that, play the first game! Ascension is good too, but I would only install the parts that change the story, not the parts that make certain battles more difficult.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    and by "change the story" i actually just mean "vastly improve it". I just realized the language i used might imply that it somehow changes your experience of the game by making vast alterations to the story. It is not that, just mostly improving on existing content and adding options to the game that makes your experience for the main questline in Throne of Bhaal all that better. It only adds to that portion of the game, and should not give you the feeling of "not trying the vanilla version" of the story, which you might understandably be worried about.
    It's what I'm looking for guys, simply enhancing the gameplay; new skin packs, portraits, etc. I'll be getting the BG1 now as well.
    @Twani: Thanks my friend -- a very insightful response. I have checked the portrait thread and I'm diggin all of em. ;)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Blackraven @BGEFanatic

I haven't really kept up with the modding scene for EE, so I can't tell if they're compatible, yet.

There's no reason not to play the NPC mod if it's compatible.

About Ascension, yes. I installed Ascension on my first playthrough for BG2.
    It's a semi-official mod. It was made by one of the game's creators back then.

It only changes ToB and makes it more challenging but not stupid-cheap hard like some "difficulty" mods.

I will just say that the first boss you fight is actually a boss and not a joke and the last battle is just fittingly hard and interesting.

It also adds some story elements that are very appropriate so it's not just the battles.

But, not sure if it's compatible yet either. You can do a forum search and see if it's compatible.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Best mods?

- Those mods that add new areas created using 3DSMAX, and not recycled BG/BG2 areas.
    - Those mods that are supported by BG:EE and BG2:EE, with a continuous story between the two, right into TOB.
    - Those with complex character development through new party NPCs, that include the above.

Can't think of any off the top of my head.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Have you already played BG:EE or BG2:EE if not play the vanilla version first
    then you will have a better idea what kind of mods you are looking for
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

If this is your first time through, then none. Play the game as is first and see what you want to change before going crazy with mods.

Belanos said:

If this is your first time through, then none. Play the game as is first and see what you want to change before going crazy with mods.

I agree. I told BGEFanatic the same thing, but he seems quite intent on installing at least a few mods... :)@BGEFanatic, have you started playing already?
    edited April 2014
    @Belanos‌: Yes friend I've started playing it a week ago but got halt because my laptop screen got cracked because of mishandling v

http://imgur.com/a/9hfF2#2
    -
    Till now, a bit expensive to have it replace with another LCD so I've just bought a second-handed PC monitor instead; that should keep me going for now.
  • Tomato9999Tomato9999 Member Posts: 30
    I find almost all NPC mods terrible(nathanial being most terrible of all). Dont install any of them if you havent played the original NPC's yet.

I'd tell you which mod is best but I have so many and Iam new myself to this whole mod thing that I dont even know which does what

on another thought, best mod is "DUngeons-be-gone". Allows you to skip the irenicus dungeon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.