Skip to content

Co-op Pausing

officialhopsofofficialhopsof Member Posts: 7
I would like to see a Pause voting system in multiplayer. What I mean by that is, every player can toggle their pause individually. If one player has their pause button toggled on then the game is paused. If another player toggles their pause on and the previous player toggles their's off, the game is still paused. Only when all of the players have their pauses off will the game be unpaused.

My only real frustration with multiplayer in baldursgate was having me and about 5 other people all going to pause at the same time so it was pretty much a gamble as to whether or not pausing would actually happen. Having the toggle for each player be individual would also clear up the nonsense of asking everyone if they were ready to unpause every single time you go to pause.

Super Excited! :)

Comments

• Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    That awkward moment when you walk into a Lich, you press space bar to find out you only have 1/4 votes necessary to pause. you die. =(
  • officialhopsofofficialhopsof Member Posts: 7
    Well what I meant, was more like, if any one person votes to pause, the game will be paused. so a 1/4 vote to pause would pause the game
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The best way to do things is use the auto-pause option. Especially the "Enemy sighted" autopause, comes in handy also in Single Player (but infinitely more on multiplayer).

All you need to do is make sure everyone is set and then press the space bar.
    Target gone is also a good auto-pause option, so you never lose any time with someone not doing anything at all.

Other than that, Skype-calls mid gaming work wonders in pausing occasions, from personal experience with @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud . I bet she agrees :)

What you suggest though is a great solution for those without the capabilities of a skype call, so I agree with what you propose :)
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, this is an issue indeed. I think the Auto-Pause function is the best way to go about this. Or maybe giving the host of the game the ability to pause. Skyping while playing the game also certainly helps a LOT. But then, OP, you didn't really chose the most easy set-up for a game. (six people seem a lot to me) :p
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    *choose
  • BhodarBhodar Member Posts: 21
    Only played this game with one other person, so pausing the game wasn't really a big deal as we just charged into enemies and killing them.

But I can imagine that with 6 players you'd need to have a better solution then the original to pause a game when neccesary to avoid a party wipe.
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    I wonder how a timed pause would work, like everyone gets __ seconds per how many characters they're controlling so you at least get a moment to click your spells or whatever, but there's still an element of quick-thinking to it, if that's how you like to play. I personally like to take all the time in the world but it is different on multiplayer when its not just you to consider.

I really hate it when it takes a moment to pause after a fight starts. Walking into a room of umber hulks comes to mind.
  • GlivalGlival Member Posts: 1
    Ah I remember that, 5 people pressing pause at the same time... :)

In BG2 the person hosting the game can assign privileges to other players, one of which being the ability to pause and unpause the game. Would it be possible to split this into two privileges: (1) pause and (2) unpause the game? That way, the hoster could give himself unpause privileges while giving everyone else pause privileges. This would still give everyone the option to pause, but there won't be any accidental unpausing anymore.
  • officialhopsofofficialhopsof Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    @Glival && @Klonoa ~ not bad ideas, I wouldn't mind seeing a combination of your suggestions and mine