Skip to content

Enemy of my enemy is....?

So as an Undead Hunter, one would think that taking Hexxat as a companion is counter-productive. Or is it?
Paladins may be self centred, egotistical goody-two-shoes but rarely are they considered stupid.
My train of thought, utilize an individual for what they bring to the party, not what they represent.
Why in hell would Hexxat even consider joining with me though? Well as we know, initially it is a circumstance beyond her control and later, being rather wise in the intricacies of diplomacy she recognizes benefits to an alliance beyond her immediate circumspection.
But what in good graces is my UH doing with a vamp on the team? ( from an RP perspective)
Well, know thy enemy comes immediately to mind. In addition, who better to gain you access to areas that otherwise you could not, for the purpose of death dealing of course: (note- I do not say murder, as they are blasphemous entities that are already dead, Neverwinter Nights handled this better).
Hexxat's powers I find totally superfluous to my needs and I find her baby-sitting requirements more bothersome than her contribution. It is easy to see who will be relieved of duty in ToB.
But for now, she is beneficial and the fact she contributes to the demise of Bhodi's enclave is sweet syrup.

Hexxat is flawed, like most characters, in respect to balance. Most of my created PCs suffer the same flaw but I utilize the characteristics of acquired NPCs for leveling the playing field. Hexxat is disjointed in this perspective as she unhinges my balance and adds a wild-card to the playing field. I enjoy it, but in an RP frame of mind must be mindful of what I wish to accomplish with the relationship. Simple powergaming cares nothing for this, but that is not my play-style this episode.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Comments

• CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Sharguild said:

Paladins may be self centred, egotistical goody-two-shoes but rarely are they considered stupid.

My train of thought, utilize an individual for what they bring to the party, not what they represent.
    Why in hell would Hexxat even consider joining with me though? Well as we know, initially it is a circumstance beyond her control and later, being rather wise in the intricacies of diplomacy she recognizes benefits to an alliance beyond her immediate circumspection.

But what in good graces is my UH doing with a vamp on the team? ( from an RP perspective)
    Well, know thy enemy comes immediately to mind. In addition, who better to gain you access to areas that otherwise you could not, for the purpose of death dealing of course: (note- I do not say murder, as they are blasphemous entities that are already dead, Neverwinter Nights handled this better).

This is one of those cases where you will see all kinds of disagreement over what lawful means in a D&D context. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and "She's not harming anyone who doesn't deserve it, and she could be useful!" modes of thinking are classically un-paladinlike IMO. You're choosing to disregard a fundamental law of the universe -- undead are abominations that must be destroyed -- for a personal belief that suits your interests at the moment (See the "I only stole it to keep them from starving to death" defense). A ranger with undead as a favored enemy better fits your actions IMO.

That said, my view of a PC undead hunter has always been as somewhat of a rogue "force" fueled by a subconscious battle with his own nature to channel it in a positive way. From a story standpoint, that makes the class a great fit for a good charname IMO, and you could tell an awesome story about the conflict, paranoia, and creeping insanity that result from your Undead Hunter reluctantly welcoming her into the group.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    Crowseye - so very well spoken. Thank-you.