Skip to content

Candlekeep and Roll Playing Problems.

This is a post to put fourth things that really dont make much sense storywise, early game as a CHARNAME living his/her whole life in Candlekeep.

Ive been playing a fighter/druid recently and ive had huge problem justifying this CHARNAME's abilities.
Starting out in Candlekeep, full of monk's, mages, clerics and fighters.
I saw no druids who could help CHARNAME to hone his abilities, no grove where he could strengthen his connection to nature and to make matters much worse i've kitted him to shapeshifter "playing SCS where shapeshifter is balanced and good and oh so so much fun." but where in the nine hell's did CHARNAME find a werewolf to perposefully infect himself with lycanthropy?

Shapeshifter Disription:

These druids have freely accepted to be infected with lycanthropy and as a result, they can turn into werewolves right from the start, instead of earning their transforming abilities at level 7. This shapeshifting ability is much stronger than the other ones and takes a lot effort to have control of this form, that they sacrifice the other shapeshifting abilities. At level 13, they may turn into a greater werewolf once per day. The second penalty is that a shapeshifter can't wear any body armor.

I very much doubt Gorion would have been pleased with his teenage ward infecting himself with lycanthropy,
plus even if CHARNAME could find a werewolf in Candlekeep, get infected and then what?
Hide the fact that he is a werewolf from the sneaky extremely experienced adventurer Haper mage that rules the place,
ummm yeah i dont really think thats gonna work.
So assuming CHARNAME is found out, wouldn't all of the clerics and mages just cure him whether or not he wanted to be cured,
this is faerun lycanthropy cures are a dime a dozen.

Anybody else have similar experiences with certain classes?
Blackguard and Barbarian come to mind.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Maybe Charname got infected with lycanthropy only very recently? The game tells us at the start that in the Gorion 'has grown distant lately, as if troubled by grave problems' (or something like that). Being too busy with his own affairs, he may not have noticed a recent change in Charname.

I think any class or kit can be justified somehow for Charname, though I agree that some of them require more imagination than others.
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    While it's certainly not the Disney Land of the Forgotten Realms, Candlekeep does get visitors from all over, and its security has gotten pretty lax (see Chapter 6). Putting Charname in close proximity with a lycanthrope is doable.

You could then go with a Spider-Man type of origin story where he gets sick, starts realizing his powers, and repeatedly barely avoids exposing his condition to his foster father. Heck, you even have the Spider-Manesque murder of said foster father and the hero's vendetta. EDIT: One can even imagine Charname thinking he's being taken out of Candlekeep because he's been found out.

Once he gets out of Candlekeep, he has a mentor in Jaheira who recognizes him for what he is and helps him embrace it.

Also, the fact that Candlekeep is a library means that Charname can be exposed to and become interested in things that he hasn't actually encountered. His interest in plants and/or animals could even be primarily academic at first (think a doctor or a horticulturist or even a mad scientist type).

I'd also note that in the earliest Forgotten Realms books Bhaal was set up as a rival of the Earthmother in the Moonshaes (I think death vs. birth/renewal/etc. is what they were shooting for), so maybe Charname is drawn to druidism because it is a counterbalance to his inner nature.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Lycanthropy can be inherited by birth, if I remember correctly. His mother was a lycanthrope. His father was Bhaal. Gorion helped him keep his secret and learn how to control it.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I think it's reasonable to expect the residents of Candlekeep to utilise their immediate surroundings for their daily requirements and therefore not unlikely that Charname could have ventured out to do chores or simply explore.