Skip to content

BG:EE and Lightning.

I have nothing at all to base this on except my personal experience with the games, but it feels like Lightning strikes a lot more in BG:EE than it ever did in the original game. And i LOVE the lightning strikes in this game! I play no-reload and losing 50% of your health randomly when it rains makes every single rain cloud a dangerous risk to my survival.

I've never really felt the need to rest in Baldur's Gate before, I only ever rested to refresh my spells. Now when I'm outside and it starts raining, i'll try to find somewhere safe to put up camp and rest until it's over. It makes the game so much more immersive for me.

And yes I've had characters die to the lightning. I was fighting the group of adventures outside gullykin in the rain, the lightning first struck the dwarf fighter on the enemy team and i was like "Wohoo! This is awesome! I'm getting help!" after that it struck again to kill the enemy cleric and i was sold, this was such an awesome feature! Then while i was busy looting it struck my own Cleric and the reloading screen greeted me. That's 3 strikes in one battle, and two of them actually killed people.

I remember that in the original the lightning would rarely strike, and when it did strike it didn't deal any damage. I don't know if it strikes more or less in BG:EE but it seems to always remove 50% of your maximum health.

I love you lightning, you're awesome even if you take some of my most precious characters away from me!

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I've never had a problem with it in BGEE. I think I've been hit by lightning once and I have probably at least 200 hours registered in the game.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    elminster said:

I've never had a problem with it in BGEE. I think I've been hit by lightning once and I have probably at least 200 hours registered in the game.

I've been hit several times, the area where i get hit the most are the lighthouse and the first cloakwood area. I have no idea what the chance of getting hit is, but it seems to happen quite often for me in BG:EE while it very rarely happened in the original game.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Are you playing in a flat area? That makes lightning way less predictable. :innocent:

Here in the countryside, you definately find shelter; lightning is pretty dangerous when you're in a flat, open space.
    And here Khalid gets struck for the second time in this playthrough.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Lightning strikes (approximately) the same place twice:

Lightning strikes (approximately) the same place twice:

That's awesome, the most I've had it hit at once is 3 times in one battle.