Skip to content

what is the level cap for baldurs gate 2 ?

also what happens when you import a character for bg1 to bg2 ? . ( for example ) if you character is fully maxed out for xp going in to bg 2 ?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    AlanLFC5x said:

also what happens when you import a character for bg1 to bg2 ? . ( for example ) if you character is fully maxed out for xp going in to bg 2 ?

The level cap in BGII:EE is 8 000 000 experience. When you transfer a character over from BGI to BG2 you'll keep your experience, the level cap in BG:EE is 161 000 experience.
  • AlanLFC5xAlanLFC5x Member Posts: 39
    SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

The level cap in BGII:EE is 8 000 000 experience. When you transfer a character over from BGI to BG2 you'll keep your experience, the level cap in BG:EE is 161 000 experience.

ah cool thank you , tbh i dunno if i should start a fresh or carry my character over from bg1 to bg 2 ?, i haven't started playing the black pits yet either and i still have icewind dale to play :)
    edited February 2015
    AlanLFC5x said:

SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

ah cool thank you , tbh i dunno if i should start a fresh or carry my character over from bg1 to bg 2 ?, i haven't started playing the black pits yet either and i still have icewind dale to play :)
    One of the nice things with carrying a character over from BG1 is that if you got the tomes that increase your stats, that will carry over to BG2 as well, so you can have a much more powerful character when you start BG2. This isn't something you must have to play BG2, but it's a nice thing you can do to make your character more powerful.

Black pits is more a small side thing, i would advice you to play BG2 first and then give IWD a try.

SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

One of the nice things with carrying a character over from BG1 is that if you got the tomes that increase your stats, that will carry over to BG2 as well, so you can have a much more powerful character when you start BG2. This isn't something you must have to play BG2, but it's a nice thing you can do to make your character more powerful.

Black pits is more a small side thing, i would advice you to play BG2 first and then give IWD a try.

Awesome, i will...thank you again for your time and help its most appreciated :)
    AlanLFC5x said:

SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

SionIV said:

AlanLFC5x said:

Awesome, i will...thank you again for your time and help its most appreciated :)
    You're welcome, we're here on the forum to help each other :smiley:
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    It's been a long time since I played BG2 and I'm wondering: how much exp is available by the end of SoA and ToB, if you do most stuff?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    About 6-7M is pretty normal if you're not doing absolutely everything.

Black Pits is a new game independent of the Bhaalspawn saga. You're supposed to make new characters for that.

so do i play bg2 before i play the black pits ? when i had a look at a trailer it just looked like an arena add on ,
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2015
    @AlanLFC5x
    As @FinneousPJ said, BlackPits(2) is a standalone "campaign" unrelated to the main BG1/BG2 storyline.
    Musigny said:

@AlanLFC5x
    As @FinneousPJ said, BlackPits(2) is a standalone "campaign" unrelated to the main BG1/BG2 storyline.

ah right sorry, so i am presuming that you cannot import a character into the blackpits ?
    ( sorry to sound like such a dumb ass guys ) :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You can but it's better to create new ones, since it's meant for level 1 characters, so you'll end up ruining the fun.
    ah right i see, so like i have already been told its just separate altogether from bg1 and bg 2 story lines
    dose icewind dale continue from bg1 and bg2 also ?
    edited February 2015
    AlanLFC5x said:

dose icewind dale continue from bg1 and bg2 also ?

No, it's the same engine and gameplay but set in another part of the world.
    @AlanLFC5x
    Icewind Dale is a different game with no central charname, different locations and, a different time period.
    guys you are awesome, thank you again for your time and help :)
    another silly question, if i play through the game enough times and keep collecting tomes books for permanent stats boost 1+ in wisdom, intelligence, charisma, dexterity and strength till they are all near 20 , will it let me carry all those points on my character over into a new game on BG 2 ?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes, of course. It would save time to use the console, though.
    This is not a silly question. Short answer : yes I think that you can do it.
    However that would be a silly strategy. Cumbersome and boring.
    You'd better set the stats you want with the EEKeeper editor. You can use the console too.
    High stats are nice but perhaps you overestimate their influence on the game.
    For instance an initial sum of 90 points is a very nice roll for most classes.
    Musigny said:

This is not a silly question. Short answer : yes I think that you can do it.
    However that would be a silly strategy. Cumbersome and boring.
    You'd better set the stats you want with the EEKeeper editor. You can use the console too.
    High stats are nice but perhaps you overestimate their influence on the game.
    For instance an initial sum of 90 points is a very nice roll for most classes.

is that not boarder line cheating though using mods and the console settings ?,
    but then again i suppose it would save doing the same quests over and over about 10 times lol

so i take it that the like of wisdom, intelligence and charisma do not play as big a role as i thought
    they might in bg2 ? it was only reason i was going to go through the game so many times ? but yeah its already becoming a little boring. ive done most of the add on missions and there is not much to gain from them ?
    Re-importing your charname to replay the game is not really fair...

All stats are important, it all depends on your class.
    Don't play a mage without a high INT score for instance.
    There are two tendencies though.
    1-Everyone wants a high dexterity.
    2-Unless the class requires a high CHA score, people tend to use it as a dump stat.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I wouldn't recommend replaying BGEE with the same characters - it would be repetitive and get very easy, as you would get multiple copies of the strongest items and be maxed out xp wise probably before the end of the first run, which means your characters wouldn't really be getting any stronger. It's a long way to go to get a couple of stat boosts, plus it's every bit as much cheating as just editing the character.

I would get through BGEE doing as much as you want to and can, which will get you all the XP you can have, and at least some of the tomes, then transfer to BG2EE so your characters can continue to progress. then you'll get to see how they really develop, with stronger items, spells and enemies.

The attributes do play a role, but not so much that I would invest that much effort into boosting them, at the expense of gaining xp and getting into BG2. When people talk about having played the series multiple times they normally mean with different characters to try different skillsets out, and develop different stories.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    AlanLFC5x said:

is that not boarder line cheating though using mods and the console settings ?,

It would be no less cheating than running the same character through the game multiple times.

great advice thank you, the thought literally came to mind when i collected the intelligence book for a second time after rescuing the nymph for and then from the wizards tower in Bladurs Gate, and it worked for a second time with my fighter character which was a surprise to me at the time that's why i first asked on here cause at the time it seemed like a bright idea really in my mind lol, i can see that there's no real benefit from repeatedly going through the game, i am already avoiding certain quests so i can pick up on the odd few side quests i have not done yet or missed along the way.

Another Question:- ( probably another dumb ass one too :) )

So to try and save time, when you finish the main quest. the game then ends and it gives you a final save ...

is it only the final game save file that can carry over to BG2 or could i import a quick save or auto save or would i have to carry on through the game to import my character ?
    i have been reading a walk-through and there isn't much left now i haven't done already, so i am pretty much ready to move on to BG2...i may even just roll with a fresh character to give myself a challenge...or is there any kind of special item i can carry over from BG1 to BG2 ?

Again thank you for your time and help guys its greatly appreciated :)
    edited February 2015
    Technically you can use the import function (character or save game) to start BG2 with any charname.
    BGEE helps make sure you have a good save game to do so, that is the final save you are referring to.
    Moreover there are items (and variables - romances probably - not sure about the status) that will be made available in BG2EE if you have them in your imported savegame.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    There are some items that you will find early in BG2 if you have them on you in BG, but I'm pretty sure no variables carry over.

You can import from any save.

Out of interest, am I right in thinking you got quite far, then restarted with the same character? How far? If you didn't finish it might be fun to do that before BG2.
    edited February 2015
    pixie359 said:

There are some items that you will find early in BG2 if you have them on you in BG, but I'm pretty sure no variables carry over.

From the release notes - BGEE 1.3:
    When you import a saved character from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to the beginning of Shadows of Amn, your romance status with Dorn, Neera, or Rasaad will now be carried over. Find your lost companion in Athkatla or the surrounding region and your relationship will pick up right where it left off...
    ... Simply add the variables you wish to import to VARIMPRT.2da; any imported saved games will carry your variables over into a new game.

I haven't tested it yet.
    Out of interest, am I right in thinking you got quite far, then restarted with the same character? How far? If you didn't finish it might be fun to do that before BG2.

correct, my very first attempt i had been poisoned and had 10 days to find a cure, i had 1 day left to find a cure by the time i realised and was in the middle of map no where to travel so i had no choice but to restart lol
    my second attempt i had basically gotten to about chapter six or seven playing straight from the beginning just doing the main quest, i had done durlag tower retrieved the soultaker dagger but then went to ducal palace with a invitation from sarevok, i had to then fight him he then ran, i chased him down fought him and 2 mages again and it gave me a final save...
    it was then i realised i had been missing a few items such as scroll carrier which can only be done in the first chapter of the game and other missions i had missed so here i am near the end of my third attempt :)
    i also have the helmet on the org thats turned him from lawful evil to lawful good and got the belt thats turned imoen from a women to a man hahaha its been good fun i was thinking on starting BG2 tonight or i may just do main quest but if its not going to make a difference in BG2 then i may as well move on ?