Skip to content

Help me out with my Ewil team

ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
ok so I never actually did a full playthrough of BG.
Now I was planning to try something interesting as concept and decided to do Half-Orc (max con\str\dex) dual-wielding axes berseker and I called him Kharn of course.

Bit testing I went on killing spree and wiped out pretty much most of candlekeep so it was fun.

few questions,
1. which thief is fastest to get for pure ewil team and can do the work?
2. there are any fast to get +1 or better axes in the game? cause with dual - wield I break the normal ones fast as I can get them.
3. I was planning to zerg quickly get my chosen 6 members and then clean the map from the friendly arm inn and south until only the mines left and continue from there, solid plan?

EDIT:
Also,
If I finish the Nashkel Mines quest does normal weapon stop breaking?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    1. Probably Montaron (really easy to get, and a decent fighter) or Safana (one of the better pure thieves). I'd go with Montaron, personally.
    2. You can get throwing axes +1 really cheap in the Beregost smithy, and just use them as melee weapons, but you can't dual wield with them equipped. I believe Feldpost's Inn, also in Beregost, sells a battleaxe +1. I'm not sure where to find a second magical axe before you get to the city.
    3. I'd probably only bother to clear the south road, but it's up to you. Some folks around here would advise you to wait a bit to pick up a full party of six. I'm not one of those folks, but it bears consideration.
    4. I *think* finishing the Nashkel mines stops weapon breakage, but I'm honestly not sure.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    1. The fastest evil thief to get is Montaron. You get him literally in the first map after you leave Candlekeep. Not only is he the first, but he is arguably the best Thief in the game. You'll have enough skill points with any of the thieves to cover the essentials (find traps and open locks) but Montaron is probably the best stock backstabber (If you dual Shar-Teel she can eventually outpace him, or if you have the staff of striking with Quayle and use some Draw Upon Holy Might stuff with str bracers he's pretty deadly too.) One thing Montaron can do that most other thieves can't, it fight well. There's a lot of good shortswords in the game and if you give him some pips in two-weapon fighting he can shred with the best of them. If you prefer him in more of a support role instead with his fairly high strength, and halfling bonus with slings he is an amazing archer with a sling and will outdamage many other ranged NPC's.

2. You can purchase an Axe +1 at Feldepost's Inn in Beregost. Other than the +1 Throwing Axes you can buy (which you cannot use when dual wielding) you have to wait until you can get to Baldur's Gate or Durlags Tower for another magical axe. You can buy another +1 Axe at the Sorcerous Sundires in Baldur's Gate, or get the +2 Axe off of Gretek in the Helm and Cloak Inn in Baldur's Gate. On the 3rd level of Durlag's Tower you can get Bala's Axe which is amazing for killing spellcasters as it affects those who are hit with a Miscast Magic spell and lets you use Dispel Magic. But all of those options are mid to late game.

3. I'd suggest doing the Nashkel Mines earlier. Around level 2 or 3 at the latest. You can get some really nice gear from Mulahey and the Chest found at the end. Waiting too long will make the challenges of the mines trivial and boring. I do clear out the entire map before heading into Baldur's Gate though (save for most of Durlags tower that is.)

4. As far as I know normal weapons will continue to break even after completing the Nashkel Mines.
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    thanks for the tips guys you are great!
    if I'll dual wield magic axe on main hand and magic dagger or other type of weapon on off hand until I'll get to BG it will work?
    I'm not really familiar with mixing weapons in BG, only thing I know 19 str half orc berserker is total psycho it's like nuke missile.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As someone who is too lazy to actually work out the pros and cons of different weapons when dual-wielding I just equip a weapon, look at the numbers in the damage/thaco/apr boxes, equip an alternative weapon and see if the numbers improve or not.

P.S. If you want to go totally psycho, pair Kharn with Dorn!
    indeed my friend.
    my party is complete.

CHARNAME - Kharn - Duel wield axes berserker
    Dorn
    Kagain
    Viconia
    Montaron
    Edwin

This party is just great they kick serious ass and Edwin with the ring from the friendly arm inn got something like 7 level 1 spells... wicked.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    That looks like a very strong party. If you're still looking for advice on the off-hand thing, no off-hand weapons will adversely affect your main hand any more or less than any other. So you can use a magic dagger for a while if you want. That said, if you're not proficient in the dagger, the off-hand attack is gonna be made at a penalty.
    small update,
    By just collecting my companions for the team and clearing the gnoll fortress for edwin I sit on 10k GP and except montaron which I've yet to find enhanced sling all the team got at least +1 weapons or better.

Also if you got Edwin on the team when you first go to Bergost and meet Neera e gets some nice banter with the Red Wizard there, also same with Viconia and Rassad.

Other then that just cleared few areas in the wild and the game is pretty easy so far.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Beregot has at least 1 +1 sling you can buy. Its not earth shattering, but better is found in Durlag's later game. You could try feeling around the upper levels of Durlag's once you have good Trap Finding (consider a potion to buff to 100), but you might need to reload, it has some hard fights. Getting a bit of extra gear could be worth while though!

As for offhand, you might consider using your +1 Axe mainhand, and a non-mahic offhand most of the time. That won't get as many attacks quite, so might not break terribly fast; keep a magic weapon to switch to if you face something immune to normal weapons, or if you run out of axes. Buying 4 or 5 when you visit a town shouldn't allow you to run out very quickly,mand you can carry them easily weight-wise.

Unless you have *** in TWF, I would just not bother with an unproficient offhand vs most enemies and use a +1 shield instead. 2 AC is big in BG1, especially until you have a magic axe for each hand. With only **min TWF, your offhand has -4 to hit, and with non-proficiency on top you aren't hitting very often, but a shield can make you much harder to hit!
    right now i got (lvl 3 i think) 3 * in TWF and 2 * in axes.
    so it works pretty well.

Actually I was kinda surprised with this game it's hilarious what stuff you get into by just running around randomly, like the manor in nashkel *wink*