Skip to content

Soloing the Greater Wulfwere

VreejackVreejack Member Posts: 60
It seems there is a problem with the Grt Wulfwere being an impossible fight for me, and not just because it is a little harder than everything else, but it seems orders of magnitude more difficult. As a gnome illusionist/priest I have not found anything that will damage it. And then there is that 30hp/round regeneration, which is like DR30 for me. It does not help that it seems to be immune to +3 weapons (polymorf flind) and I have no spells that will do enough damage even if they get through its MR.

This is a no-reload game so trying something a hundred times until I get lucky is not an option.

correction: 50% elemental resist.
Post edited by Vreejack on

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    You might reconsider the No-Reload thing for this fight. He's one of the hardest fights in the entire saga if you don't have a plan going in.

Do you have a wand of lightning and some anti-lighting stuff? Potion of Absorption? Go in invisible and keep firing so the bolts keep bouncing through him.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    First off, wands of paralysis are your friend, here. Karoug isn't great at saves. Unfortunately, I can't think of any priest-usable weapons that can hurt him. I'm with CaptRory, in that lightning immunity + lightning bolt spam is probably the way to go.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Wands are probably your best bet. If you can get him paralyzed, you have lots more options, though you cannot harm him with weapons. Ongoing damage spells can help offset his regeneration, but hoping for ricochet fun with Lightning Bolt assuming he's got low resistance would probably work. You might also try spamming high damage spells coupled with paralysis, but getting more than 30 damage in per round solo is really hard. You'll need a ton of chargss off a Wand of Lightning I expect, but you might take him out. Have you got any fire potions? Maybe a Wand of the Heavens? He has MR too, so have fun either way.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Pick up Potions of Breath, Stoneskin and Fireshields besides other direct damage spells like Magic Missile and Melf's Acid Arrow, in combination with other many Cleric-buffs you can take it down pretty quickly (first use the Potions of Breath and Melf's Acid Arrow, then focus with the Magic Missiles
    DreadKhan said:

He has MR too, so have fun either way.

He has no MR, just elemental damage resistances.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    This is neither here nor there, but I remember accidentally disintegrating him with a Wild Mage once.
  • VreejackVreejack Member Posts: 60
    I assumed there was a limit to how many glyphs of warding you could lay down. Thanks for that tip. Then I will have to face the Loup Garou when I get back and I think it is the same deal. Right now I have the game paused as the Gwulfwere is following me from one map to the next. He's in the ww fort and they are ignoring each other.
    So... it worked, but not exactly as expected. The glyphs seem to fire at a rate of 3 or 4/sec, so it's even okay if you run through them as you will only set off a fraction. Then hold him in the pile and accounting for his 5 saving throw and 50% electrical resist (which means on average only 1 in 8 will touch him) then on average you might get half of a glyph every second. At level 5 that means 2d4 * 5 / 2 = 12.5 DPS, which is more than sufficient to overpower his regen.

But you need a lot. Doing excess 7.5 DPS requires almost ten seconds to kill him, and 40 glyphs, plus extra slop for the ones you hit while getting into position.
    Oh, and one more thing. The spell description is pretty cleat that you are not supposed to be able to do this--no more than 1 per area--and so I always thought it was a useless spell. I've had an army of skeletons, instead. They pasted everything until this.
    I don't think the Loup Garou on the mainland regenerate, for the record, so you shouldn't have so much trouble there.
    Jarrakul said:

I don't think the Loup Garou on the mainland regenerate, for the record, so you shouldn't have so much trouble there.

Their resistances are also much lower. I was able to hit them with a +2 weapon and defeat them even after I let myself get blocked into a closet. The skeletons were useless, however.

• faust.twifaust.twi Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2015
    i am at island with one useless dagger and without saves before island. i have only one question - how to kill this karoug with cheats?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Karoug and his goons can cross area transitions, so luring them onto a lower level of the ship can be useful to get you better positioning. Then just spam wands of paralysis at him until he's paralyzed. Then hope you have enough DPS to kill Karoug faster than he regenerates. Spells will help, especially multiple castings of magic missile.