Skip to content

Does the game seem to have gotten easier?

2»

Comments

• lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    From my experience "Core Rules" is considerably harder. I flipped that switch to core, walked into the bandit camp and was very unpleasantly surprised at how many times I had to reload. My party is mostly on level 6 too. The rolls some of those measly bandits were throwing were consistently 16+, which makes me wonder if the rules has anything to do with influencing rolls (It shouldn't). Not only that, but I had 4 reloads on the bosses in the tent because that ass in the back with the bow kept targeting the most vulnerable/wounded characters despite him/her being the furthest from him. I'm almost sure this is something added since vanilla.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You mean hakt? He has a limited viewpoint which is obstructed by the tent pole in the center of the room. You probably have yiur most vulnerable character in the party position that he sees first. My advice is to change party order before entering.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    Genryu said:

I've noticed that myself, certain battles seem to have been nerfed.

I used to enjoy taking down Drizzt each playthrough for the challenge, I fought him with countless party configurations, as well as solo on many occasions. One thing I remember, is I usually had to resort to cheap and cheesy tactics to beat him. I bought BGEE this week, and I'm playing the game again for the first time in many years (Dwarven Defender! :smiley: ). And I was surprised at how relatively easy he went down, no reloads, no deaths I was a little disappointed.

He is now actually wielding his scimitars instead of wielding essentially a fake weapon (which is how he was handled in the original game). The fake weapon made it so that each hit he made he had a chance to cause an additional 30 damage if you failed a save vs death.

The reason why he was wielding the fake weapon in the original game was because the original game did not allow dual wielding.

I did notice that Twinkle has been reduced from a +5 weapon to a +3.

As far as Thac0 and damage bonuses go Twinkle has always been a +3 weapon. Its just the description that was changed to account for this. Technically in terms of being able to hit targets who are immune to certain weapons it is considered to be a +5 weapon but you won't ever encounter enemies that strong in BGEE.

One thing I have noticed is the difficulty slider in the options menu, the default is normal, however the next difficulty up (Core Rules) says 'Baldurs gate 1 rules apply'. Did they lower the default difficulty in EE?
    That is the BG2 engine default
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    lroumen said:

You mean hakt? He has a limited viewpoint which is obstructed by the tent pole in the center of the room. You probably have yiur most vulnerable character in the party position that he sees first. My advice is to change party order before entering.

No, once it was the sixth character (bottom left) and another time it was the fourth which was middle right. The fourth was wounded (almost dead) and the sixth was a mage with 10 ac, so there is reason to believe targeting may have been changed. Oh and both times there were characters if front of the two he targeted.

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ok. Nice!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Genryu @procco It's funny how the nerfed version of the game was considered by the developers to be "normal." The difficulty slider should be revised to:

Lame <---> Nerfed <---> Normal <---> Hard <---> Insane
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    I'm doing BG1 for first time and I noticed casting "Sleep" is simply OP as hell.
    most enemies will drop sleep and will be chop chop dead in few seconds.
    Just reached BG city yesterday and Edwin learned "Haste" spell... well that's gamebreaking...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Googleness - yes, in the first half of BG1, Sleep is a win-button spell against most enemies. (I guess the developers intended that "working out what the heck to do" was the main challenge for new players in the first half of the game, and "realising how powerful the Sleep spell is" is the easy solution in most cases.) However, once you've reached BG City and start meeting higher-level opponents, the usefulness of Sleep rapidly declines, because many of your enemies will now resist it.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    To answer the OP: in general, yes, I reckon the game has got easier, in large part because the re-spawn rate has been slashed in many places (and in some cases seems to have been turned off entirely). A prime example is the Firewine dungeon, which in original BG1 was quite difficult because those annoying kobolds would re-spawn every time you turned your back, but now it's trivially easy because the kobolds don't re-spawn at all.