Firefly Online

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    What.

What.

WHAT!?
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Looks interesting. I might have a look...if I can tear myself away from Elite, that is. ;)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Hehehe! Thought this might have slipped by a few of you guys! ;)

It has all the original cast as well! Michael Dorn is joining to! I'm getting rather excited. Even though we have to wait until 2015. :D
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Never heard of either, but I have to wonder... are there many fireflies in space?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I liked the show but I wouldn't expect much from this game. A MMORPG for mobile OS? Meh, I'll just say.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    Ehh, there have been so many mmo's/online only games based on popular franchises in the last 3-4 years that this just doesn't excite me. ESO, STO, SWTOR, etc. Heck there was even a new Star Trek online (browser based) game just announced. I guess I can't get all that excited for this.
    I remain reserved. It looks like it could be okay, but I try not to care until I find out. I didn't mind Star Trek Online, still dip into it from time to time.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    maybe its just personal preference but wouldn't firefly just work so much better as a regular rpg
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Hmmmm....
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

In all seriousness, I'd rather them bring back the show, starting at Season 2, Episode 1.

I realise that I'm about to commit heresy most vile here, but I actually don't, unless they basically disregard Serenity, because Serenity - while still a good film - tied up quite a lot of loose ends and left the story in such a way that it had nowhere to go. Wash and Book were both dead, River had been more or less cured, and Simon and Kaylee finally hooked up, there wasn't really much more the characters could have done.

Then again, I don't think it stipulates that Serenity takes place after series 1, they could probably fit a 2nd series in before Serenity. However, I don't think a series 2 post-Serenity would work.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    The film did wrap stuff up nicely, the only thing that annoyed me was that the entire universe seemed to fit in one small solar system, and no-one thought of going around the reavers.

Anyway, I don't think any of us are strangers to the fear that someone will take something we like a lot, try to extend it, and produce something that is almost universally hated :p

For the somewhat challenged, the model answers were 1) 'Baldur's gate', 2) 'Baldur's gate 3', and 3) you can choose between 'Dark alliance' or 'Abdel Adrian'.

Sometimes you just have to hope they like it too, or we'll never get new stuff.
    If I recall didn't Joss say if he was going to do the series again he wanted to have the entire cast back, so it would have to take place between the end of Season 1 and Serenity? What's the time difference between Season 1 and Serenity?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited December 2014

Never heard of either, but I have to wonder... are there many fireflies in space?

If you ever get a chance to buy the DVDs I'd recommend it. It was a well done show, with a very different slant on Sci-Fi. It was definitely taken off the air too soon. As for the Firefly reference, that referred to the space ship's class. It did kind of resemble a firefly.

I loved the concept of a dirty universe. Much dirtier and more used the Star Wars. It's concept of a Western in space was simply beautiful. :D
    CaloNord said:

It's concept of a Western in space was simply beautiful. :D

Yes, it was an interesting mix wasn't it? You wouldn't think that combo would work, but it did.

Logically though, if you're going to spread the human race out across vast tracks of space very rapidly law and order would naturally decay, would it not? Most colonists would be building with whatever local material they can find once they start expanding so a wild west type look would make sense for the first few hundred years. Especially as you get further and further from the core worlds.
    CaloNord said:

Most colonists would be building with whatever local material they can find once they start expanding so a wild west type look would make sense for the first few hundred years.

But you wouldn't necessarily expect cowboys on horseback though. At least not in a TV show.

True! I had wondered if it was a fuel, maintenance and money issue? Live stock and horses can graze and don't really need any specialized skills to keep them working. Or just a classism issue, so that the one rich guy can ride around like king on his hover speeder thing and play with a laser gun and lord it over the lowly 'whores'?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Whenever I need my Firefly fix from a game, I fire up Wing Commander: Privateer and travel back to the 1990s in style.
    AHH! Wing Commander! *Cough* I'm okay now, just had to get that out of my system. :D

I had to note they released the Cortex companion app on Steam a little while ago, has some pretty interesting stuff in it. I love seeing how easily the cast slipped back into the old roles and how much they seem to enjoy being back, the look in Sean's eyes says it all. :D
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Hm. Was that a happy scream, or an unhappy one?

http://www.gog.com/game/wing_commander_privateer

I dug privateer back in the day, hand-copied a map of the galaxy and played it all the way to the end. This map. Probably some indication how legal my copy was?

http://images.danielwmoore.com/privateer/gemini_v2.png

However, there's no going back, those graphics, sorry, nope. I did try WC5: Prophecy, pretty cool if a bit linear, and then I hit a fight that I tried about ten times, but it was just too tough for me to beat, so I gave up.

Sorry, what were we talking about? Right, Firefly. Um, nope, I got nothin. Watch it. Watch it now. I'll be in my bunk.
    It was happy! :D

Haha I dunnnnoooo. . . thats a pretty god damn handsome face there. . . even if it is a little pixely. . .

FIREFLY! It looks pretty good, I will have a lot of patience for this product as I've waited a VERY long time for a game in the Firefly universe. Just hope it has a decent monetization system. Planetside 2 recently started selling character rename tokens, for 25 dollars EACH. EACH.