Skip to content

Companion Starting Levels

I recently imported my level nine Wizard Slayer into BGEE from the Black Pits just for the heck of it and I noticed something odd. Imoen, Xzar, Montaron, Minsc, Edwin, Xan, Dynaheir, Ajantis, and Viconia all started out at level six, with Mage books full of spells up to level 3. I am not positive but I don't think those were their starting levels any other time I played (and that's a lot of times, btw). Am I crazy or did importing at a high level change my NPC starting levels as well?

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I'm pretty sure that your PC's lvl determines the starting lvl of companions you meet.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    That's interesting, @Spungi. I never knew that. I wish it affected enemies as well.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    As @Spungi pointed out, NPC levels are determined by your PC level when you meet them. This means that having an over-leveled Charname also means your entire party will be over-leveled, so the difficulty curve gets all messed up. That said if you enjoy just stomping everything that gets in the way, there's nothing wrong with that. :smile:

Oh and whilst encounters do not scale with your character level in BG:EE, they do, to an extent, in BG2:EE. So a dungeon that just has a few mummies and shadows if you visit in the early game will have liches if you go there in the endgame.
  • LuremasterLuremaster Member Posts: 100
    @Heindrich This is the first time I ever tried importing an overpowered charname into BG and I have to say, it's pretty funny to one-shot the enemies who inspired so much fear in earlier games. It really changes the feel of the game. I noticed that in BG2 though, with more powerful enemies appearing when returning to earlier dungeons. I like that aspect of the game because it allows for more of a challenge, unlike what I'm experiencing right now :smirk: