Skip to content

Solo Kensai/Mage - Melissan battle

So, I decided to try the infamous kensage for a solo run. It was a ride with many ups and a few downs, but when I met Melissan for our last duel, it really felt like I was smashing into a concrete wall. Before that, my enemies provided no challenge at all. Even the Ravager fell easily. Well, sort of... But, this crazy lady was specially designed to disturb my mojo. The usual tactics failed me. The stoneskin-improvedhaste-timestop triad for direct assault did not work as before. (Like with the poor Yaga Shura :D) The blackblade&tenser buff was also in vain.

After a few hysterically failed attempts I started asking Google for help, but found almost nothing useful, which is strange considering the popularity of this build.

Well, finally I managed to concoct a fairly easy way to defeat her.

1. Have the Wish spell ready to regain the spells between the battles. This is essential. (Scrolls also help)
2. Before she spawns, place as many Skull Traps under her feet as you can . Use your faithful Simulacrum clone to double the usual amount. (I had 12 floating skulls there)
3. When she arrives, immediately cast Lower Resist on her, and also do this with your clone. (Robe of Vecna is a must.)
4. If things go well, right before the skulls explode, her resistance is lowered by 50-60 percents, allowing many of the traps to hit the dame.
5. If the damage is not enough, you can reload like a Bondari.
6. Obviously, the very first round is the hardest, as you cannot set up the traps. This time Alacrity, Spellstrike are also needed. Plus some Skullies stored via Spell Sequencer.

Maybe this is already a well known strategy, but I thought it won't hurt to share it again. Maybe it helps someone in the future.

In general, until the very last battle adventuring with the kensai-mage was a fun experience. A bit boring after the exp-cap was reached and all relevant items found, but at least it allowed a feeling of power and fast progress trough the dungeons. (The skull traps came very handy even in the early stages)

I used staves as main weapons. The staff of rynn +4 was ideal for the early game. Later, the staff of magi proved to be a major mage destroyer (for dispel effects on hit) and a comfy tool for vanishing into thin air when things got tough.

Well, it time to try another class.

Comments

• matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2015
    I actually made such a run pretty recently (kensai 21-mage 22)

What i did:

take mordenkaiser sword (the flying sword immune to anything but magic) you need 3 of them (one for each demon room)

take 3 spell immune (abjuration), 3 protection for magic immune 3 greater haste.

those 3 spell are to be used for each ammelyssan past the first one, and then you just hit her to death she cann't do anything.

For the first ammelyssan, just use w/e, she die pretty easylly with every casual pre buffing (miror, blur ston skin, shield fire/blue etc...)

If you want mega easy mod, you can also use contengency on sight with the 3 spell, so basically, you will have no need of pre buffing.

Edit: I must admit that i used alacrity to make a kai greater crit greater haste tenser, and killed amelyssan so fast at the 4th live that i actually didn't ned any protection xD