Skip to content

berserker -> druid run

Hi all,

After failing a few sorc runs recently due to some experiments (rushing to spellhold rather than taking my time in chapter 2), i've decided to to get a breath of fresh air, by playing a completely different character.

So I have started a no-reload run with a berseker, to be dualled to druid at level 7 or 9
I know it's a very OP combo but it's quite new for me as i very rarely toy with a character that has access to GM and even more rarely with druids.

BGEE should be a walk in the park, as the berserker rage trivializes what makes BGEE dangerous in a no reload run : save or else spells.

The most tricky part was to get a good enough roll. I managed to get a 95 :
STR 15
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 18
CHA 16

Any advice on whether to dual at 7 or at 9?

Comments

• pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    The typical advice is 9 for the extra half attack. Even with a full party it shouldn't take too long to get those levels back.

A Berzerker -> Druid isn't that OP really - BG druid spells aren't as good as IWD druid spells. If you are proficient with spells you'll find it more of a challenge than the sorcerer as arcane is vrey powerful, but you are much hardier and hit harder out of the blocks.

Should be fun.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Don't dual before 9 in BG2 it is absolutely never worth it considering how easily you accrue XP. You can even consider going with dual at 13, though I personally think it's not worth the hassle.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd recommend dualing at 7th, because that's enough to get the extra half attack and the only thing you'd really want the extra proficiency point towards is grandmastery, which you can get with your 8th druid level anyway if you dual at 7th. You also get your fighter levels back in BG1, which is convenient. All at the cost of one proficiency point you don't need and maybe 10 hp tops. Of course, there's an argument that hitting 10 in druid in BG2 is easier than hitting 8 in BG1, but personally I'd want my spells for the BG1 endgame, if only because it's more fun that way.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    The power difference between 7 and 9 isn't really all that much- a few more hp and an extra proficiency point.

If you are level 7 at the start of BG2 and dual just before exiting Chateau Irenicus, you'll get enough xp soloing the Circus Tent to get all of your Berzerker abilities back, so I usually choose to dual at 7 just as a convenience.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    edited February 2015
    I agree that Berserker- druid is not THAT OP, especially compared with arcane casters.
    But let's face it, any dual/multi is OP in that game and this one has some really good synergies.

I was probably not clear enough but I started the run in BGEE.
    Therefore, if I dual at 7, the dual will be completed in BGEE (the berserker 7/druid9 is one of the strongest class in BGEE)
    If I dual at 9, i will do all BGEE as a berserker (not that hard) and ten will dual right out of chateau irenicus.

In both case, the downtime period will be very short (probably even shorter for berserker 9/Druid, since BG2 is very generous with xp rewards).
    dualling at 9 yields an extra rage and 10 more hp. However dualling at 7 let you play the game as the "full class" for a longer period (end of BGEE + all BG2)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited February 2015
    Oh starting with BGEE definitely dual at level 7. Why did you post in BG2 forum? Causes confusion.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Yeah, that is VERY different. BG1 comes with a whole lot of other concerns, dualing at 7 there is definitely fine.

Just don't do it in BG2, yes 9 isn't a huge upgrade but it's essentially free given the amount of XP BG2 throws at you.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Well, to be fair the issue can run through multiple games. If you want to dual at a certain level for BG2 you can't dual earlier in BG1...

Fighters are pretty boss in BG1, you're not really lacking anything by being a sword-swinger through the first game.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    If you dual earlier you get to level 14 and level 15 druid faster ;).

(backs away slowly)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited February 2015
    Yes, it seems to me preferable to complete the dual in BG1ee, so dual at level 7.

If I really wanted to go right through BG1ee as a pure Berserker and not dual until BG2ee, then I'd be pretty tempted to hold out until level 13 for the additional half-APR and significantly better THAC0.
    I poste on that forum accidentally...
    thanks for the answers anyway.
    i went for a level 7 dual.

The first 7 levels went by very smoothly as expected.
    i started by some misc quests (beregost, fai, nashkel) and then focused on the main quest.
    i hit level 7 by killing davaevorn.

I am now working on the druid levels and I will keep you updated.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Contrary to the opinions above, I have found the bers/druid to be quite OP and is one of my favorite classes to play with. In most cases dualling at 9 is the most balanced option, especially if plan on going at least the end of SoA.

For ToB it is adviseable to make the effort of dualling at 13. HP and APR aside, dont forget that every 4 levels will grant you one additional use of Rage...thus dual at 7 is best left for BGee only. There are a few battles where I have used more than one rage and it counts.

The class is fun and very solid for both party and solo play.
    Quick update.
    Getting to druid 8 was extremely easy.
    i just did the basilisk and a few quests in baldur city.

From there, as expected, the rest of the game was a walk in the park. It's defintely one of the strongest character for bgee : without any preparation you can walk in any fight, activate rage and kill everything.

Since this is a no reload run, I obviously used some potions for the hardest fights.

Early bg2 is also very easy so far.
    I just completed the tent, copper coronet, slaver compound and now trademeet.
    Fire elemental is really strong for the early game since it is immune to 90% of the foes you fight.