Skip to content

all modded up and ready to go...almost

NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
I've just added a bunch of mods for my first playthrough of BGEE, and no sooner did I start up the game when I encountered a problem...the stats on the character record screen don't line up properly with where they should be. Also, I encounter an "invalid" message message when I start the Black Pits. As some of you are aware from the questions I've asked in the past, I've very new to the world of modding and don't have a clue how to begin troubleshooting. Any suggestions as to how to fix these problems? (I'm using a Windows Vista system.)

These are the mods I'm using, in the order in which they were installed:

BG: EE Classic Movies
BG2 GUI for BG1
Wand Case
Barbed Club of Pain
Distinguishable Clubs
Distinguishable Javelins
More Style for Mages
BG1 Mini Quests and Encounters
BG1NPC Project
Unfinished Business
BG1NPC music pack
Xan’s friendship
Coran’s friendship pack
Adjantis expansion
Valerie
Isra
Vynd
Finch
Tenya
Indira
Caina and Zarra
BGEE leveled spawns
Song and silence
Rogue Rebalancing
BG2 Tweak Pack
SCS
BP Series Scripts

Comments

• AsthnerAsthner Member Posts: 83
    I won’t help you much here, but I can give you a few tips for better troubleshooting.

1. Instead of listing mods like this, attach your weidu.log file to the post. (It lists not only the order of the mods, but also all their subcomponents.)
    2. If you encounter problems with a modded game (or even when there are no apparent problems – it’s a good habit!), read your post-installation MOD-NAME.debug files. Any text editor, like Notepad++, can open them. Do a search inside them for “error” – quite often you’ll discover conflicts this way.
    3. For resolving conflicts and bugs related to the installation order, the Big World Setup guide is a great resource: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/534-big-world-english/
    You can read about your mods there and use the extensive weidu.log at the end of the pdf to determine a good install order for any set of mods.
    4. I also personally make sure that the mods I install are using the newest weidu. For this, I keep a separate instance of weidu.exe and before installing a mod, I delete its setup-mod-name.exe, copy weidu.exe, rename it to setup-mod-name.exe and do the install from this new file.

As for your more particular problem, my guess would be a problem with the GUI mod. Also, something probably messed up the dialog.tlk (hence the invalid string in Black Pits). Are you sure that all of the mods you installed are compatible with BGEE?
    JuliusBorisovSer_ElrykNightWarden
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    The inventory screen is missing modded image. It is part of "GUI tweaks" subcomponent and the file is named "INVENTOR.MOS". As for the invalid string, it may be also related to my mod, but I am not sure. It is possible that you are missing another file, but I do not know which one out of my head and I am away from my PC. Try to download and copy the mod files to the override again and see what happens. It is possible that another mod from your list edits same files, which causes incompatibility.
    Musigny
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    I use the following mods : unfinished business, rogue rebalancing, BG2 tweak pack, Stratagems and I have no such issues.
    I bet that BG1NPC which was recently in beta and then released is not the culprit.

No guide will guarantee a correct installation of your own set of mods.
    In your case the best approach is to install them one by one (from scratch) and to verify after each mod installation whether you can see the reported issues.
    With such a list, your first issue may come from the BG2 GUI mod and if this proves correct then you are a lucky guy because @Pecca is the best person to help you fix it.
    As regards the text error there may be a problem with a mod but you may also experience a corruption of your dialog file with the cascaded de-installations. To exclude this option I suggest you should install from a clean base such as a backup or a repaired game.
  • NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
    Asthner said:

I won’t help you much here, but I can give you a few tips for better troubleshooting.

1. Instead of listing mods like this, attach your weidu.log file to the post. (It lists not only the order of the mods, but also all their subcomponents.)
    2. If you encounter problems with a modded game (or even when there are no apparent problems – it’s a good habit!), read your post-installation MOD-NAME.debug files. Any text editor, like Notepad++, can open them. Do a search inside them for “error” – quite often you’ll discover conflicts this way.
    3. For resolving conflicts and bugs related to the installation order, the Big World Setup guide is a great resource: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/534-big-world-english/
    You can read about your mods there and use the extensive weidu.log at the end of the pdf to determine a good install order for any set of mods.
    4. I also personally make sure that the mods I install are using the newest weidu. For this, I keep a separate instance of weidu.exe and before installing a mod, I delete its setup-mod-name.exe, copy weidu.exe, rename it to setup-mod-name.exe and do the install from this new file.

As for your more particular problem, my guess would be a problem with the GUI mod. Also, something probably messed up the dialog.tlk (hence the invalid string in Black Pits). Are you sure that all of the mods you installed are compatible with BGEE?

Thank you! That's very helpful. As you recommended, I've located and attached the weidu.log. As time allows over the weekend, I'll read the debug files and see if I can locate an error message. @Musigny made the same suggestion about updating to the most current version of Weidu, and as far as I know all of the mods are using the newest version.

As far as the mods being compatible with BGEE, I believe that they are supposed to be.
    Pecca said:

The inventory screen is missing modded image. It is part of "GUI tweaks" subcomponent and the file is named "INVENTOR.MOS". As for the invalid string, it may be also related to my mod, but I am not sure. It is possible that you are missing another file, but I do not know which one out of my head and I am away from my PC. Try to download and copy the mod files to the override again and see what happens. It is possible that another mod from your list edits same files, which causes incompatibility.

Thanks. I'll do as you suggested and copy the files into the override folder again.
    Musigny said:

I use the following mods : unfinished business, rogue rebalancing, BG2 tweak pack, Stratagems and I have no such issues.
    I bet that BG1NPC which was recently in beta and then released is not the culprit.

No guide will guarantee a correct installation of your own set of mods.
    In your case the best approach is to install them one by one (from scratch) and to verify after each mod installation whether you can see the reported issues.
    With such a list, your first issue may come from the BG2 GUI mod and if this proves correct then you are a lucky guy because @Pecca is the best person to help you fix it.
    As regards the text error there may be a problem with a mod but you may also experience a corruption of your dialog file with the cascaded de-installations. To exclude this option I suggest you should install from a clean base such as a backup or a repaired game.

Thanks. Hopefully, @Pecca's suggestion will work. If not, back to drawing board...(sigh)
    Pecca said:

Just for clarification...

As I understand the instructions, I first copy the contents from GUI Switch 1.41 into the override folder. Then, I should copy the contents from Background into the override folder, followed by Tweaks.

When it asks if I want to replace some of the existing files from GUI Switch with the ones from Background or Tweaks, should I replace all of them (even if the existing files seems to be larger or newer)?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174

Pecca said:

Just for clarification...

As I understand the instructions, I first copy the contents from GUI Switch 1.41 into the override folder. Then, I should copy the contents from Background into the override folder, followed by Tweaks.

When it asks if I want to replace some of the existing files from GUI Switch with the ones from Background or Tweaks, should I replace all of them (even if the existing files seems to be larger or newer)?
    Yes, you must replace those files.
    Musigny
    edited March 2015
    Pecca said:

Yes, you must replace those files.

Thanks! Everything is working properly now.

Edit: @Pecca I may have spoken too soon. I decided to start over from scratch, and I began by installing BG2 GUI for BG1. I no longer have the problem with the stats not lining up properly on the inventory screen, but I'm still encountering the invalid string upon starting the Black Pits.
    Post edited by NightWarden on
    Musigny
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    In BG2EE, 101793 is the text that says "Create Party". Unless you install a huge lot of mods, there won't be any text at position 101793.
    I guess some CHU file needs an update for BGEE in order to point to 31844.
    edited March 2015
    Isaya said:

In BG2EE, 101793 is the text that says "Create Party". Unless you install a huge lot of mods, there won't be any text at position 101793.
    I guess some CHU file needs an update for BGEE in order to point to 31844.

Thanks for letting me know what that means. I'm glad it isn't anything serious.

Just out of curiosity, where do the Black Pits fit into the grand scheme of things? Should I go there before or after the primary adventure in Baldur's Gate?
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2015

Just out of curiosity, where do the Black Pits fit into the grand scheme of things? Should I go there before or after the primary adventure in Baldur's Gate?

The Black Pits is unrelated to the Baldur's Gate saga. This is a tactical campaign.
    In fact there is a NPC (a drow from the black pits) who can join your party in BGEE but this is a kind of easter egg.

The project known as Adventure Y will be fully related to the BG storyline.
    NightWarden
    Musigny said:

The Black Pits is unrelated to the Baldur's Gate saga. This is a tactical campaign.
    In fact there is a NPC (a drow from the black pits) who can join your party in BGEE but this is a kind of easter egg.

The project known as Adventure Y will be fully related to the BG storyline.

Interesting. I think I'll wait to give it a try after I've finished the primary adventure.