Skip to content

First Solo Attempt: Please Advise

Just for kicks and giggles I've decided to plan a serious solo attempt through IWD at insane difficulty.
But first I need to draw from the well of collective wisdom.
I'd prefer to try it as a non-arcane human character.

What would be a good, non-overpowered class?
Kensai is probably out: no armor, no projectile weapons, no innate magic resistance. Will cleave through most monsters with ease until he's charmed or held by clerics and mages.
Generic fighter might work, but then again no innate resistances to speak of.
Wizard Slayer is a class that should be deep-sixed into oblivion, since the devs weren't interested in making it viable.
Archer is essentially a Kensai with bows, so no on that one too.
Monk needs to be babysitted until level 9, but then gradually becomes a nigh unkillable demigod, so no to the Monk. I prefer using weapons anyway.
Single-class cleric lacks the ability to hit anything without constant self-buffing.

The choices are being narrowed down to paladins and some sort of cleric/fighter dual-classed character. I've been pondering the Cavalier as an option. The only thing is that paladins level up slowly and have uninspiring combat abilities. The two pips limit kind of makes me sad, since I imagine a paladin with a grandmaster in a given weapon would be far from overpowered.

If I were to go for the dual-classed option, what would be a more viable build: cleric to fighter or the other way around?

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    If you can pull yourself away from a human character, how about a dwarven defender? Damage resistance, high health, shorty saves, it's really good. But if not, cavalier isn't that amazing, because of the few enemies its combat bonuses affect in IWD. Along that line, I would suggest Undead Hunter, because of how many undead you'll fight. For the dual-class, I would go fighter first to get beefed up health and thac0, then dual to cleric. Hope this helps.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If non-arcane human, a Berserker->Cleric dual is probably the best.

Paladin isn't bad either, both Cavalier and Undead Hunter being great choices.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Berserker 7 -> Cleric will be an easy option.

A Druid would be really fun too as they are much stronger in IWD.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    I'm going to give you the best tip of all:
    Do none of what you have been suggested so far.
    Dwarven Defenders are basically an easy solo, Berserkers are one of the best soloers, dualling into a cleric would make it even better. If you want non-overpowered, then don't go with those.
    Honestly, there isn't really a class that's HARD to solo with other than Bards, Wizard Slayers, monks and any other non-magic user except for the Fighter and Paladin (Yes I know Bards are magic users, but I've never really been a fan of them.) Go with something that doesn't use Magic if you want a challenging Solo-run, but expect things to get extremely hairy (Like, Sasquatch hairy) especially in big fights.
    I'm doing a Wizard Slayer run and so far it's going smoothly, but it's going to get hairy when I get to Durlags tower or the Bandit Camp, but that's the fun part, right!?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    CaeDares said:

I'm going to give you the best tip of all:
    Do none of what you have been suggested so far.
    Dwarven Defenders are basically an easy solo, Berserkers are one of the best soloers, dualling into a cleric would make it even better. If you want non-overpowered, then don't go with those.
    Honestly, there isn't really a class that's HARD to solo with other than Bards, Wizard Slayers, monks and any other non-magic user except for the Fighter and Paladin (Yes I know Bards are magic users, but I've never really been a fan of them.) Go with something that doesn't use Magic if you want a challenging Solo-run, but expect things to get extremely hairy (Like, Sasquatch hairy) especially in big fights.
    I'm doing a Wizard Slayer run and so far it's going smoothly, but it's going to get hairy when I get to Durlags tower or the Bandit Camp, but that's the fun part, right!?

This is for IWD, not BG.

To reiterate, a fun character with a variety if strategies to overcome situations is an Avenger Druid. Can be OP if you figure out certain combinations but the game will definitely feel challenging and fun.

Otherwise I'd suggest a Blackguard or maybe a Stalker. Have you considered a thief, single, multi or dual? A kitted monk would very quickly get past the difficult levels too.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I second Stalker. Its a very balanced solo class, and can caste haste! :smiley:

Bounty Hunter or Swashbuckler dualed to fighter or cleric would be interesting. Traps will provide badly needed damage dealing.
  • MegiddoMegiddo Member Posts: 25
    Thanks to everyone who has offered advice thus far. I'm currently using a lvl 10 Cavalier on the second level of Dragons Eye. The the inherrent resistances help a great deal. However, hold person -spamming Talonite clerics are still a pain in the tuckus. All in all, I'm happy with the Cavalier - a good balance of strengths and weaknesses. Having a character that can self-heal and cure disease is a nice bonus.

And now for a spoiler alert:

Getting some pips in bastard sword profiency is a swell idea. There's a handy b-sword you can purchase in Kuldahar that gives you an edge over trolls.