Skip to content

Question about Druids

So I'd like to play as a druid character eventually, but the True Neutral Alignment Only requirement kind of irks me, as I usually play characters of Good Alignments. So if I made a Druid, and then used EEKeeper or something to change their alignment, to say, Neutral Good... Would there be any in-game consequences like me losing my abilities or something? Also, would there also be any similar repercussions just for "helping too many people out" or "for being too nice of a person" in-game?

There was a mod for classic BG2/BGT called "B!Tweaks Lite" that had a component called "Flexible alignment restrictions for paladins and druids". It allowed Paladins to be of any Good alignment (or Lawful Neutral), and Druids to be any alignment that had "Neutral" in it. Does anyone know of anything similar that works with BG1&2EE? Could someone either make a mod that does the same thing, or somehow port the B!Tweaks Lite mod to work with EE? Sorry if that's a stupid question or if this is the wrong place to ask about it. I don't know anything about modding, heh.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    As far as I am aware, there will be no problems if you just EEKeeper your preferred alignment for your druid character. I think the restriction is purely for lore reasons based on the 2nd edition D&D rules. Also having a high reputation (which is what happens if you keep choosing Good options) will not cause you to lose druid powers, although evil and neutral party members might leave you.

I am unaware of any such mods, but changing alignment is pretty easy in EEKeeper anyway.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    Thanks! Good to know =)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, druids can't "fall", so alignment changes and reputation will never impact their abilities. Go ahead and play how you like.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Maybe be a ranger/cleric and be good alignment that way?
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2015
    You can also easily mod the core restriction using NearInfinity.
    E.g., make the druid like 3rd ed. rules by making NG, LN, TN, CN, NE alignments available.

I think the only Infinity game where your actions affect your alignment is PS:T.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Skie said:

E.g., make the druid like 3rd ed. rules by making NG, LN, TN, CN, NE alignments available.

I think the only Infinity game where your actions affect your alignment is PS:T.

Hmm... Good Guy on every trial every time in SoA? Wow.
    Skie said:

Really?! That sounds perfect! I have NearInfinity in my BG1EE directory but have no idea what I'm looking at, or looking for, when I open it XD

If it wouldn't be too much of a bother, could you walk me through or at least give me a few pointers on exactly what to do to adjust my druid/paladin alignment restrictions? Feel free to PM me.

edited March 2015
    It's not that I know how to do things by heart :)
    I usually use it to allow Half Orc more freedom, or change their -2 Int to -2 Cha.

Lets see, it actually doesn't seem too complicated.
    Just keep in mind that you might easily ruin your game installation when messing with it, so trial and error.

1. Open NearInfinity, aim in to the chitin.key file of BG.
    2. There should be a folder list on the left, open the 2DA folder.
    3. Right off the bat I see a file named ALIGNMENT.2DA, click it.
    4. If I'm not mistaken, it shows a binary table of what alignments are allowed for which class.
    5. So for the Druid for example, just change a few 0 into 1. Then Save.
    6. Test

IIRC, it should create the new ALIGNMENT.2DA file in an override directory, so you can always delete it from there in order to restore changes.

Keep in mind, sometimes there's more than 1 file that control something, so in theory, there could be another something for alignments.
    There should be some search function to help you find the right files, but usually the names are forthcoming.
    I remember in IWD2 & PS:T I played with the ITM folder as well to change some items.
    The most dangerous thing is playing with the dialog.tlk file. Make sure to back up that. I remember I wanted the Half Orc description to match to stats changes I made (from Int to Cha) and I broke the game :)

Good luck! :)
    And it worked. See attachments.
    Pay attention that I found out on the way that you'd have to do it for every KIT of a Class as well :)
    I.e., changing Druid, doesn't affect Shapeshifter, you have to change Shapeshifter as well, etc'.

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    It's worth noting that some Druid specific dialogue won't make much sense with an alignment other than True Neutral. 2nd Edition just isn't meant to be inclusive.
    @Skie Wow! Thank you SO MUCH! =D

@Wowo That is worth noting. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. =)