Skip to content

General Class rebalance thread (emphasis on repping the underrepped classes, esp. non-kits)

carugacaruga Member Posts: 375

EDIT: 27/june added barbarian.

..................... added word on Kensai.

For completeness, here are the existing class rebalance threads (I've also posted on a few of these, and won't be duplicating any of it here).

Choose kit when dual-classing

Barbarian (this thread)
Kensai (Kai) (this thread)
Wizard slayer
Cavalier

Wild mage
Druid (shape-changing)
Spellcasters (AOE indicator)
Wizard (specialization sub-classes)
Wizard (cantrips)
Sorcerer (kits)
Sorcerer (charisma)
Priest and mage (kits)

Rogue
Rogue (backstabbing)
Assassin

Monk

Now for my first suggestion, which addresses non-kit fighters.
They are currently outdone by every one of the kits except wizardslayer (which I think should be buffed, see thread above). Suggestion:
Restore the old proficiency bonuses, but then, allow fighter-kits to only reach high mastery, leaving GM a pure fighter (and maybe ranger) exclusive. A +1.5 attack per round and +1 damage is tempting competition with the kits.

EDIT: Perhaps also modify the item "gauntlets of weapon mastery" so that it actually forces +1 point in mastery for the currently wielded weapon, allowing them to access proficiencies they normally can't (does nothing for a GM pure fighter, freeing their hands to wear something else).

My next suggestion will discuss barbarian; i'll be back later to post it (note to self).
EDIT: here.
Post edited by caruga on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    Great job. Someone should pin this to keep it from getting buried. @caruga Also it's not add a second kit when dual classing, it's add a single kit after dual classing from a non-kit class. Dual class into a kit from non kitted class.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2012
    Thanks! I'm hoping to make it redundant though with my aggregation thread instead. This took me 20 minutes, whereas I've spent over 24 hours on the other and probably only half-way done. :)

(Thinks to self: is it worth doing a similar thing for new race suggestions: probably not?)
    @caruga Also it's not add a second kit when dual classing, it's add a single kit after dual classing from a non-kit class. Dual class into a kit from non kitted class.
    Think i've fixed it.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    well, a thread like this already exists- http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/557/requestsfixes-classes-and-kits#latest

i think it shows some desperate need to finally organize forums. :/
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    I'm not a fan of this solution because it would house-rule grand mastery, and I'm allergic to house rules (which should come as no surprise for anyone, by now :-)).
    edited June 2012
    I'm not a fan of this solution because it would house-rule grand mastery
    What does 'house rule' mean?
    well, a thread like this already exists- http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/557/requestsfixes-classes-and-kits#latest

i think it shows some desperate need to finally organize forums. :/
    Fair enough, I can continue the discussion there. Are you actively maintaining that thread?
    It's common D&D jargon for a rule made in-house, that is a rule that departs from what is written on the manuals.
    edited June 2012
    It's common D&D jargon for a rule made in-house, that is a rule that departs from what is written on the manuals.
    Ah. In that case I like house rules. D&D was never designed with video games in mind and it needs to be some hybridised adaptation of D&D to work effectively. I think BG was all about that and did it well for the most part, rather than being a purist allegiance to the rules.

Tell me if I'm wrong (I only have 3rd ed. manuals) but there's only version of the fighter and his various kits in the manuals... in which case all the rebalance speculation is moot if one were to simply follow the manuals verbatim?
    edited June 2012
    @caruga

I'm a notorious inveterate rules lawyer, and I like D&D-based videogames to follow the written rules as faithfully as possible within the boundaries of (potential) engine limitations. That's why I'm allergic to house rules :-)

It all comes down to what you mean with "rebalancing". Classes and kits are generally house ruled in BG, and bringing them closer to P&P is often a rebalancing (as per the mod Rogue Rebalancing, which is also awesome).
    edited June 2012
    @caruga

I'm a notorious inveterate rules lawyer, and I like D&D-based videogames to follow the written rules as faithfully as possible within the boundaries of (potential) engine limitations.
    Why? From everything you've said it sounds like you disagreed due to dogma; if only pure fighters had been written as the only class able to get GM in the rulebooks, you would have agreed with it. Nothing to do with whether it makes the class better.
    It all comes down to what you mean with "rebalancing".
    Retune the pros and cons of a class to maintain the best progression of 'challenge versus reward' ratio and make it alluring to play against all the other classes available, without being too good.

The house rules are either there to compensate for a fallibility of the campaign as they've made it, or because of an inadequacy with the ruleset. As a lawyer, perhaps you can tell me in detail which it is?
    @caruga

Your reasoning is taking for granted that house rules are inherently good (as in, positive) AND well designed, and that as such they are per se balanced. I would argue that whereas AD&D rules are tried and true for they have been thouroughly play tested before release, BioWare's house rules aren't. They had only a limited time to test them against the time and effort TSR put toward testing the whole AD&D rules system, which is supposed to hold together well and work. Hadn't it worked, it wouldn't have survived for long.

Is it perfect? Nope, there is no such thing as a perfect rules system. However, as I have already stated in the "How true to D&D rules should BG:EE be?" thread in the General section, if a game is based on AD&D rules (and advertised as such), it should follow them. If you want to do something different that is perfectly fine, but then don't say you're based on AD&D and don't borrow rules from it.

House rules are something I conceive only when strictly necessary to accomodate the DM's design needs in P&P campaign, for what he created would clearly not work well with the existing rules. In Baldur's Gate, this situation never occurs: everything would be perfectly feasible with P&P rules. In fact, mods that bring the game closer to P&P (such as aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing) make the game significantly more challenging and balanced. Rogue classes become a viable and interesting alternative to wizards and fighter with Rogue Rebalancing, and monsters don't need to cheat to be a challenge for you with aTWEAKS.

In fact, most liberties BioWare had taken with the rules in the development of Baldur's Gate are absolutely gratuitous. There is no reason to group the thieving skills "Move Silently" and "Hide in Shadows" into a single skill named "Stealth" (this was in fact changed in BG2), or to apply slightly different racial and stat-based adjustment to thieving skills. Nor does it make any sense to nerf grand mastery, or to remove abilities from monsters only to equip them with overpowered undroppable rings that grant them other gratuitous immuinities and abilities in order to make them challenging.
    @caruga

Your reasoning is taking for granted that house rules are inherently good (as in, positive) AND well designed, and that as such they are per se balanced.
    I never said that.

@caruga

You said this:
    The house rules are either there to compensate for a fallibility of the campaign as they've made it, or because of an inadequacy with the ruleset.
    from which it ensues that house rules are inherently good and at least better designed than the actual rules system, as they are there to correct its flaws.
    edited June 2012
    @caruga
    In fact, most liberties BioWare had taken with the rules in the development of Baldur's Gate are absolutely gratuitous. There is no reason to group the thieving skills "Move Silently" and "Hide in Shadows" into a single skill named "Stealth" (this was in fact changed in BG2), or to apply slightly different racial and stat-based adjustment to thieving skills. Nor does it make any sense to nerf grand mastery, or to remove abilities from monsters only to equip them with overpowered undroppable rings that grant them other gratuitous immuinities and abilities in order to make them challenging.
    Preach it brother. Awesome arguments there to explain your point. Well done. I don't think @caruga is on another side of an issue here he just is looking at it from another perspective. We all want the best game. The best game is perhaps like you said @AndreaColombo one that uses tried and true and published rules unless there is a non-arbitrary gameplay reason to do it.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

(...)if a game is based on AD&D rules (and advertised as such), it should follow them. If you want to do something different that is perfectly fine, but then don't say you're based on AD&D and don't borrow rules from it.
    I know this is nitpicking, but things can be said to be based on something while not strictly being that thing. If BG1 strictly followed AD&D maybe a more proper advertisement would be "BG1 uses AD&D rules" instead of "BG1 is based on AD&D rules".
    Thanks, @smeagolheart.

Touché, @Tanthalas.
    @caruga

You said this:
    The house rules are either there to compensate for a fallibility of the campaign as they've made it, or because of an inadequacy with the ruleset.
    from which it ensues that house rules are inherently good and at least better designed than the actual rules system, as they are there to correct its flaws.
    No, that doesn't follow. What follows is that house rules are a means to achieving that, not that they will unerringly do so.
    @caruga

Fair enough :-)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @caruga- yap, i'm mantaining the thread and will bump it ocasionally, but i don't see the need to focus only on one. only thing important is that people get some use out of this kind of topics. it just shows that forum is becoming hard to track and something needs to be done.

yes, i'm looking at you @ForumModerators and @Developers. :/
    @caruga- yap, i'm mantaining the thread and will bump it ocasionally, but i don't see the need to focus only on one. only thing important is that people get some use out of this kind of topics. it just shows that forum is becoming hard to track and something needs to be done.

yes, i'm looking at you @ForumModerators and @Developers. :/
    I kinda shot myself in the foot by having the thread serve two purposes at once. When I get a moment I might delete the class-thread grouping (leaving that to you) and just have this be for my personal class rebalance suggestions.
    edited June 2012

Alright, time to discuss barbarian as promised.

I'm not going to say that the barbarian is a bad class, or that you can't make a strong build out of it. But I am saying that for both tanking and damage output purposes, it is beaten by the fighter classes, berserker kit in particular. There's no reason to ever pick a barbarian except for roleplaying reasons.

A barbarian just gets peppered with holes, those hp drain in seconds, especially when surrounded. But I'm willing to bet that a regular fighter in full plate has them beat for defense even in 1v1 melee.

I think the ideal would be to aim to make it hard for a player to conclude which class has the stronger defenses, or else for barbarian to have that niche cornered. I.e. the difference in ac versus hp+damage resistance should be such that whether the barbarian or berserker has the stronger tanking advantage should vary from encounter-to-encounter.

Barbarian and berserker are like cousins (with one being unable to dual-class), but to distinguish them more, I think the berserker should be more about damage at the price of defense (higher ac penalties and damage bonuses when enraged, than what they get now--this would offset that full plate they get to wear), and the barbarian should be more about hardiness (lasting a ridiculously long time even when the hits rain down).

Right now, an enraged barbarian with 2 points in two-handed weapons and 2 points in two-handed sword, deals the same damage as an enraged berserker with 2 points in two-handed weapons and 5 points in two-handed sword. A berserker also has the advantage of being able to get the full bonus of a strength potion and have it stack with his rage bonus, whereas a half-orc strength 19 barbarian would cap out before then.

What it really comes down to, is whether the extra hp of a barbarian (an extra 0-2 per level, and another +1 or +2 per level when enraged) and the damage reduction (10, 15 or 20%) are worth the tradeoff of an extra 15-30% chance of being hit.

While I'm not very good at formulas for calculating probability, I think the answer in nearly all cases is: no, it is not worth the trade-off. And from subjective experience when playing these two classes, the berserker definitely seems to remain standing _much_ longer in a fight, when clad in full plate versus a barbarian in an ac 2 scalemail or splintmail.

Suggested fixes (not steadfast about these, feel free to suggest better ones):
    1. I recommend removing the armour class penalty from barbarian rage, or making it -1 instead of -2; it seems excessive when they're already forced to wear weaker armours. Possibly also remove the saving throw penalty. (Furthermore if barbarians could wear full plate but it disabled rage, I'm willing to bet they'd choose full plate over rage--what does that tell you?).
    2. another +1 con just for choosing this class; max 20 con as a starting half-orc barbarian.
    3. The damage resistance bonuses should be the same but I don't see the need of staggering them: -1% damage per level from level 1 (so that BG1 barbarians get some love).

I actually think more is needed before there is a marked increase in HP. I just think mathematically, ac generally wins, especially when taking into account more than one opponent or fast-hitting/hasted opponents; it takes a LOT of hp to really compensate for a lack of ac, an amount that probably looks silly on paper.
    Post edited by caruga on
  • TiggrrTiggrr Member Posts: 25
    One reason that if the classes are properly balanced for the tabletop game then they'll be unbalanced in the computer game is that some abilities are too hard to include in the computer game - a thief's climb walls, numerous mage spells like levitation, fly dimension door and illusions - and the disenfranchised classes get nothing back. Fighters, on the other hand, keep everything.
    One reason that if the classes are properly balanced for the tabletop game then they'll be unbalanced in the computer game is that some abilities are too hard to include in the computer game - a thief's climb walls, numerous mage spells like levitation, fly dimension door and illusions - and the disenfranchised classes get nothing back. Fighters, on the other hand, keep everything.
    Pity the poor mage with only his stoneskins, protection from magic weapons, timestops and simulcrums.
    Fighters are overpowered!

• ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    @caruga I think your idea about only allowing fighters without kits to reach GM would be a bit strange when considering the kensai and what the kit is actually about. If adding the inability to GM to kits, it should be a con included in each specific kit description. I don't like the idea though. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the kits being a bit more powerful than the vanilla class if playing according to the kits specialization.
    @caruga I think your idea about only allowing fighters without kits to reach GM would be a bit strange when considering the kensai and what the kit is actually about. If adding the inability to GM to kits, it should be a con included in each specific kit description. I don't like the idea though. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the kits being a bit more powerful than the vanilla class if playing according to the kits specialization.
    Well there are ways around the problem you present.
    1. Allow Kensai to attain that rank as well.
    2. Create a new 'ultimate mastery' rank. I know it's not in the ruleset, but I feel like proficiency points are largely a done deal in BG2 for fighters on a subsequent playthrough--i.e. decide which weapons you'll use and pick accordingly.

Right now there's no reason to pick a fighter over a berserker. With Kensai it's a little less obvious because you have to balance a very different playstyle.
    Right now there's no reason to pick a fighter over a berserker. With Kensai it's a little less obvious because you have to balance a very different playstyle.
    .. unless you really love the different bows or slings

edited June 2012
    .. unless you really love the different bows or slings

Archers are soooo much stronger with bows, though... not saying fighters don't have a niche, but they aren't a contender for playing a powerful character. They're a generalist but that's not really about being strong or even versatile in this case, it's purely stylistic preference. If you want your fighter at the back, you pick an archer--if you want him on the front lines, you pick a berserker.

I think non-archers missile users are weaker in BG2 because of the increased walkspeed of enemies closing the distance. Firing off 1 or at most 2 arrows before you have to switch to sword is pretty ineffectual (though might still be more meaningful in BG1 with enemies being easier to hit and kill).
    edited June 2012
    @caruga
    I don't really agree with that assessment.

- Yeah, Archers are hands down the best ranged attacker in the game (probably better to say, non-magical ranged attacker), but although Fighters are only second best, that still puts them above all the other classes using ranged attacks. So it is still worth something.

- While Archers are the best ranged attackers, as soon as enemies enter melee ranged they are notably weaker than a Fighter. So while ranged Fighters are weaker at range than Archers, on the other hand they are far more versatile and outdo Archers at close range as both tank and damage dealer.

- The increased walk-speed of enemies in BG2 doesn't bother my ranged attackers much because I still have melee characters to draw their attention.
    edited June 2012
    @caruga
    - The increased walk-speed of enemies in BG2 doesn't bother my ranged attackers much because I still have melee characters to draw their attention.
    And where is your PC (assuming a warrior-type)--in the back as a ranged attacker, or in the front drawing attention?

My point being he has to be one or the other, and an archer in the back or a berserker in the front seems better than a fighter in either position--and the 'versatility' of a fighter being able to do both has little strategic value across the campaign, and can only be rightly chosen for subjective playstyle preference-reasons, and never tactical/power advantage reasons. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd like there to be more reasons than that to choose the 'generalist' pure fighter class.

p.s. anyone have commentary on the barbarian assessment I did? Don't know if it was overlooked or what but noone has commented. :)
    @caruga

Yeah, but if we start analyzing classes like that its just a slippery slope:

- Is there a reason to use a Druid in this game? Less healing than a Cleric, worse spell progression than a Cleric, less offensive capability than a Mage.
    - Forget about Fighters being useless when compared to Berserker's or Kensai's, dual Kensai -> Mage or Berserker -> Mage outshines them all.
    - The only good Ranger is an Archer, the rest will always be sub-optimal.

We'd be here all day.
    edited June 2012
    Another thing, regarding

kensai:

I would not be at all surprised if noone else gives a damn, but I really dislike any ability that removes die rolls and makes things non-random; randomness makes things unpredictable, fun, and addictive. Hence, I dislike the Kai ability in its current incarnation, and have avoided the class because of it.

If, instead of its current behaviour, it simply doubled the die roll--same damage output on average but with randomness--I would find the class a lot more fun to play. Fixed results make me cross.

I.e. instead of rolling 10's with a 1d10 weapon, make the weapon 1d20 for the duration of Kai.

I don't know why but it makes all the difference to me... but like I said, I'm guessing noone else cares enough that this would even get volunteered for approval. Heck, might as well just mod it in myself if it is, as I say, effectually the same result.