Skip to content

Protection from Evil -- Mind Shield?

I'm probably being a stickler but then again maybe I am not the only one who has noticed this.

The Protection from Evil Spell gives you a Protection from Evil icon and a Mind Shield icon on your Character Portrait. This is because the spell gives you an AC and Saving Throw bonus AND also protection from Charm and things of that nature. Why would one icon be named after the spell, and one be called mind shield? Wouldn't just the "Protection from Evil " icon give you everything? Is there another type of "Protection from Evil" that requires that Icon to just give you the AC and Saving Throw bonuses?
joluv

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Mind Shield is there to demonstrate that it grants protection from charm. Without it a lot of people would probably assume it just gave what BG2 gives as far as bonuses.

(For people otherwise unfamiliar with how it works in IWD)

"Protection From Evil
    (Abjuration)

Level: 1
    Range: Touch
    Duration: 2 rounds/level
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast, a magical barrier forms around the recipient and moves with . The barrier has three effects: First, it bestows a +2 bonus to the recipient's Armor Class and Saving Throws against attacks from evil-aligned opponents; second, it prevents summoned fiends from attacking the recipient; third, it makes the recipient immune to charm-based spells or effects (e.g. Charm Person, Charm Person or Mammal, Domination, and so on)."

Mind Shield though has always been a very broadly used icon.
    MelicampZeckulJuliusBorisov
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    elminster said:

Mind Shield is there to demonstrate that it grants protection from charm. Without it a lot of people would probably assume it just gave what BG2 gives as far as bonuses.

(For people otherwise unfamiliar with how it works in IWD)

"Protection From Evil
    (Abjuration)

Level: 1
    Range: Touch
    Duration: 2 rounds/level
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: None

When this spell is cast, a magical barrier forms around the recipient and moves with . The barrier has three effects: First, it bestows a +2 bonus to the recipient's Armor Class and Saving Throws against attacks from evil-aligned opponents; second, it prevents summoned fiends from attacking the recipient; third, it makes the recipient immune to charm-based spells or effects (e.g. Charm Person, Charm Person or Mammal, Domination, and so on)."

Mind Shield though has always been a very broadly used icon.

Why is the spell different than it is in BG2?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Icewind Dale has spells that are normally more in line with how PnP handles things (though in this case its not quite the same). Its also how the spell worked in the original BG1.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    It is a bit strange that Protection from Evil displays a Protection from Evil icon as well as another icon. But oh well. Probably not worth coding any kind of difference I guess.
    Melicamp
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I had always thought that Pro from Evil "makes the recipient immune to charm-based spells or effects (e.g. Charm Person, Charm Person or Mammal, Domination, and so on)" cast by evil creatures.

Is this different?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Melicamp said:

I'm probably being a *Cluck* stickler but then again maybe I am not *Cluck* the only one who has noticed *Cluck* this.

The Protection from Evil Spell gives you a *Cluck* Protection from Evil icon and a Mind Shield icon on your Character Portrait. This is because the spell gives you an AC and *Cluck* Saving Throw bonus AND also protection from *Cluck* Charm and things of that nature. *Cluck* Why would one icon be named after the spell, *Cluck* and one be called mind shield? Wouldn't just the *Cluck* "Protection from Evil " icon give you everything? Is there another type *Cluck* of "Protection from Evil" that requires that Icon to just give you the AC and Saving Throw *Cluck* bonuses?

fixed that for you
    HaHaCharadeMelicampEmpyrial