Skip to content

Plate armor colours of BG:EE(no more brown colour please)

MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
Greetings.

As you see from the title, this is a suggestion about an official change on some of the plate armor colours of BG:EE. I will talk about each one individually. The reasoning as i explain below, is that, some sprites (like the human male cleric one), have the second or third colours quite prominent, and the brown colour we find a lot, makes it look like too much leather on them. Since we talk about plate armor, i think it should change.

Ankheg Plate Mail : In the original Baldur's Gate, this armor had 3 colours. Green, Yellowish, and Brown. In BG:EE it has Green and Brown. Since a lot of the sprites have the second and third colours prominent, they appear to wear too much leather with this armor on, because of the prominent brownish leather colour. I suggest that the colours change to Green, Yellowish, Yellowish, so that it gives the impression of more plating. It's a plate armor after all.

Plate of the Dark +1 : Original colours were all dark reddish brown. New colours are a silvery light green, brown and silver, making again half the sprites look with too much leather on. I suggest the colours change to Black, Silver, and Silver. It was supposed to be worn by an undead Warlord of Bane after all. The silver(or equivalent) assures it doesn't look like you have too much leather on you.

The Magma Bulwark +2 : New armor, no change needed, nice colour themes, and nice effect you put on the armor. I suggest more of this in BG2:EE.

The Practical Defense +3 : Colours are Gold/Bronze(with a glow effect), silver, gold. You could leave it just like that, or change the secondary gold colour to silver as well.

Typical Plate Mail/Full Plate Mail : The colours for this are silvery metallic(or whatever), brown and brown. I would suggest either full silver colour for all three, or silver and a darker metallic colour(dark silver).

Cheers.

P.S. This should apply to BG2:EE as well, wherever we see a leathery brown on a plate armor.

Comments

• CorpusDelictiCorpusDelicti Member Posts: 45
    There's Plate of the Dark +1? O_o
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think he means that Plate of the Dark is a +1 Full Plate. (I think it shows in game as 'PotD +1')
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160

There's Plate of the Dark +1? O_o

Yeah it's a rename of the +1 Full Plate that Tamoko wears in the original game.

• ElricElric Member Posts: 4
    These suggestions do not reflect the truth of armor.

Now first is Ankheg Plate, it is not made out of METAL, it is made from an ankheg shell, in my game it is all green with yellow highlights. Now, in the original DnD ankheg were Brown. If your going to change this change it to brown and green with yellow highlights.

Plate of the dark, should be Black (like cold wrought iron), with grayed blue (gray with a blue shine) and brown highlights, the grayed blue would reflect a polishing effect, and all the strap of Plate armor are leather so you need SOME brown.

Practical defense, as a plate mail, that is gold in color I can only assume this is bronze plate mail, so I would suggest Bronze, with green (for tarnish), and brown for the leather straps.

I ave yet to look at the magma bullwerk, but it sounds like it should be dark red, with orange higlights and some black on the edges.

My question is, can I use an an editor like eekeeper to change the colors of armor? or can I get a file for the override folder? How hard would it be to make this?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    If you want to use eekeeper to change armor colors, you need a mod named mr pennyway's cosmetic changes, or something like that, been a long time since i actually was involved with all this.

Normally it would take DLTCEP to change armor colors, and put the new files in the override folder, but with that mod, you can override the color of each armor with what you select for your character in EEkeeper.

However you will have the same armor color for any armor, so you would need to change the armor colors every time you get a new armor through EEkeeper again.