Skip to content

killing Sarevok before or after Tales of the Sword Coast

I just finished Baldur's Gate. Killing Sarevok was so difficult. I didn't do TOTSC before killing Sarevok. Killing Sarevok should be easier with higher level characters after completing TOTSC, but I have read conflicting things on the net. I have read that Sarevok is a higher level character himself if you don't confront him until after TOTSC. So which is it? I appreciate all answers.

By the way - great job Beamdog! I love this game and you made it completely better for contemporary computers. Can't wait for BG3!

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    There is no level scaling in BG. Sarevok will stay the same the whole time, whether you do TotSC quests, or not. The difference is between Sarevok without the expansion installed, where he had no haste, but was much more beefy with magic resist etc.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Originally TotSC was an expansion to the original BG1, hence if you did not have TotSC installed, Sarevok was slightly weaker.

Since BG:EE includes TotSC, you just get one version of Sarevok in the game. Since beating him ends the game, it's a good idea to try all the TotSC stuff (based in Ulgoth's Beard) if you want to have a completionist game.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited March 2015
    Exactly. The final battle with Sarevok became harder after I installed TotSC when it was released, so logically it should be harder still now that Durlag's Tower has been added (I haven't noticed a difference, but then again I am a bit better at the game now than I was all those years ago).
    Edit: Iirc the XP cap was raised as well when TotSC came out.
  • LCohen7LCohen7 Member Posts: 15
    No wonder it was so hard. Last time I played through the game was 10-15 years ago without TOTSC. It took about 3 tries to get it right. This time after twenty times
    and half my party dying I finally got him.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    To answer the question in the thread title: killing Sarevok ends the game, so obviously you can only access the TotSC content if you do it before then.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The level difference you have after the raised level cap is negligible at best. Only the mage gets anything of note since they can actually learn/cast 5th level spells, where as before they could only use them as scrolls.

To be honest original Sarevok was harder due to being nearly immune to magic (had around 90-95% magic resistance), where as post TotSC Sarevok just has 90% fire resistance. The fight is otherwise identical.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    That fight is not that hard if you don't rush into it:
    - Use your potions (you should have plenty)
    - Focus on him: a few backstabs + magic missiles will take care of him rather quickly (if you put magic missiles in a spell sequencer on 2 mages you can pelt him with 20 MM from the start of the fight)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited March 2015
    Sarevok is a nice fellow, kill him last!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    mumumomo said:

That fight is not that hard if you don't rush into it:
    - Use your potions (you should have plenty)
    - Focus on him: a few backstabs + magic missiles will take care of him rather quickly (if you put magic missiles in a spell sequencer on 2 mages you can pelt him with 20 MM from the start of the fight)

Fairly certain that there's only one minor sequencer scroll in bg1?

Still, sorcerer+Mage and you're on.