Skip to content

If you want to be a Paladin and have Dorn in your party...

You're actually not going to have TOO much of a tough time, I think. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, before I continue playing and find out one of the other quests has no other option.

After playing through the initial meetup with Dorn, I slaughered everyone at the Wedding, which obviously called my Inquisitor to revert to a Fallen Paladin. I don't want that! what can I do? let's replay it... okay, this time, I talk the wedding guests to kill Colin (the Groom) and convince Dorn to let all the other people leave, so I end up killing no one- I keep my Paladin status. Excellent.

I don't remember if any of Dorn's other quests involve an ultimatum of "do this and become fallen paladin or lose Dorn from the party". If anyone knows, please share here.

As for "why would you be a paladin with Dorn in the party?! Oh, my bleeding roleplayer's heart!", because I want to use Carsomyr, but I still want to go to Lunia as well as doing all of Dorn's other quests (which means no just waiting until ToB to use Dorn).
Ravenslight

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

DreadKhan said:

Just traveling with Dorn should cause a Paladin to fall.

You don't need Detect Evil to know he's evil.

What if the Paladin seeks to save his soul? He would not be the first to take up a lost cause. :)
    Paladin codes are not known for being reasonable, and prohibit strictly associating with evil people, specifically adventuring with them. If Dorn tries actively to be decent, HE would probably fall. This seems like an RP nightmare, unless you handwave the code away.
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    DreadKhan said:

DreadKhan said:

Just traveling with Dorn should cause a Paladin to fall.

You don't need Detect Evil to know he's evil.

What if the Paladin seeks to save his soul? He would not be the first to take up a lost cause. :)
    Paladin codes are not known for being reasonable, and prohibit strictly associating with evil people, specifically adventuring with them. If Dorn tries actively to be decent, HE would probably fall. This seems like an RP nightmare, unless you handwave the code away.
    You make good points, but I tend to think that each mans interpretation of any such codes could be different from another's. I think it could be a fun RP challenge. Though, the way the game is set up, it would probably be doomed to failure. I have never played Dorn’s quest through, so I am just assuming this.
    MusignyJuliusBorisov
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    You could treat it sort of like a whole 'the ends justify the means' situation, where you're using Dorn to fight the greater evil in Irenicus.
    Ravenslight
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Mhamza said:

You could treat it sort of like a whole 'the ends justify the means' situation, where you're using Dorn to fight the greater evil in Irenicus.

Which would be fine for a LG Cleric Fighter, but Paladins are explicitly supposed to fall for using sophistry. Mind you, BG doesn't strictly follow Paladin codes, ie Keldorn won't leave/conflict with every evil NPC you could add, so I can't say your position is unfounded.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Mhamza said:

Can we really say that Dorn is less evil than Irenicus though? Dorn is so over the top that I think he is on par with the villains of the Baldur's Gate saga. The absolutely ruthless Korgan seems like a grumpy old man in comparison.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited March 2015
    Nihilus said:

Mhamza said:

Can we really say that Dorn is less evil than Irenicus though? Dorn is so over the top that I think he is on par with the villains of the Baldur's Gate saga. The absolutely ruthless Korgan seems like a grumpy old man in comparison.
    Fair enough, maybe not more evil but I think, at least for the time being, he's a greater danger than Dorn.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2015
    A Paladin traveling not only with an evil person, but an Antipaladin at that. (Because this is what Blackguards are.)

Just. No.

Dorn is the very last person a Paladin would travel with.

"Blackguard, also referred to by some as the antipaladin, is a specialized prestige class on Faerûn that epitomizes pure evil. Nothing short of a mortal fiend, they are quintessential black knights, carrying a reputation of the foulest sort."

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Blackguard
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If I was the DM I would still have your paladin fall for getting Colin killed. That is clearly an oversight.
  • ShivanShivan Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    hehe. Almost done with SoA, done all of Dorn's quests with my Paladin main character :) hasn't fallen yet!

Carsomyr is going to get a very bad reputation for slaying good dragons in the near future...