Skip to content

Fiona Winters: Another Baldur's Gate fanfic playthrough

Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
edited February 2014 in Fan Creations
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to view yet ANOTHER fanfic based on Baldur's Gate. Not to sound pessimistic in the least, only that I like to keep myself heavily dosed with realistic expectations. But with my quarks aside, I'll give you a quick rundown of how this play through is plotted.

Mods: Rogues Rebalanced + Stratagems
Hardcore Playthrough (no reloads and no deaths allowed)
Pen n' Paper will be applied for purposes of kit selection for multi and dual class options (game limitations
still prevents multiple kits to be applied)
Pen n' Paper rules will be applied when applicable: Example: Jaheria may not wear metallic armor.
NPC's maybe refitted to kits that are more suited to their persona: Example: Kavin - Archer
All npc's will be role-played to player's best ability. Example: No equipment sharing if uncharacteristic.
The protagonist's stats will be manually selected based on the most common point build of the joinable NPC's
(16 NPC's had stats between 80 to 86, therefore Protagonist will be based off a 84 point build)

That's pretty much the jiff of the mechanics entirety. As for the fanfiction, some liberties may be taken to interesting new developments while certain plot devices remain unchanged. The more important feature is: how does the fan-fiction reads? So more effort will contributed to the actual telling of the story than a rundown of stats and strategies. The tread will also feature self-made drawings. For starters they'll be small scale drawings until I get a better handle on presentation on the forum. But for now, please bare with me on any poor scans or overly large pics.
Now with that aside, allow me to present: Baldur's Gate: A Fiona Winters' Tale

Comments

• Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2014
    Chapter One: The Youths of Candlekeep

The silence of the library was broken only by the shuffling of feet and faint distant coughs. Light was provided mostly by candelabras placed ideally along the main halls and ends of what would be forebodingly dark corners.

Much of nothing ever occurred within the walls of Candlekeep. There in the depths of the library, the elven youth that Gorion brought to the citadel's gates so many years ago busied herself skimming through the content of numerous tomes that the head librarian left in her care.

She was tasked with organizing them and sending them off to their proper shelf, to once again, be lost in a sea of antiquated knowledge. The young girl didn't find her work tiresome. It had often led her curious mind into tales of adventure, unusually graphic stories of romance and bits of geographical wonderment of faraway places. In fact, much of her time was spent daydreaming about the world outside the walls that her hands simply did the work autonomously.

The precision to her chores had left her independent from monk overseers. It wasn't long into her teens that they had accepted her as one of them. She was studious, attentive, a quick learner and above all else, extraordinarily bright.

Image: Fiona Winters

Her gifts of the mind made her an excellent apprentice and future successor of Gorion's arcane lore. So talented was she that she had mastery of the basics far earlier than most. It was to the resentment of envious scholars and the joy of a tired old man.

But her mind wasn't busy solely by the mystical arts, her deft hands had allowed her into other unusual skill-sets perhaps not as praiseworthy as the former. When freed from her tasks, Fiona often made the routinely trip to Candlekeep's Inn to visit the other lonely soul: Imoen.

Together, the two were a mischief that plagued the keep. Imoen was brought to Candlekeep much like Fiona. She was an orphan brought into the care of Winthorp, the boisterous and large innkeeper. Her fondness of him could be traced in her playful nickname for him: Puffguts. Imoen had a knack sneaking around and shadow-hopping. While 'busied' with her chores, she often found ways to make sophomoric pranks and traps for her unfortunate caregiver. It was a game like any other and soon, the two became a deviant duo.

The occasional traveler often put themselves up at the inn, and with the keep's notorious entry rules, only the wealthy had the pleasure of resting in their beds. These two girls, those of which were not only mischievous but was blessed with womanly beauty; Imoen with her high-spirited demeanor and girly features and Fiona with her raven-black hair, slender eyes and elven elegance, made prey of these rich and quite often generous males.

Nothing ever gotten further than unwanted groping and disgusting yet unimaginative innuendos. They often spur their interest and left them wanting, leaving them with the task of wooing the girls with trinkets and verbal affections, only to be left with unresolved sexual tension and quite often paired with a 'what-if' regret.

Winthrop didn't mind much as it brought his customers to order more mead, ale, or even expensive wines. It was when a jealous suitor took to his fists that the Watchers had to weigh in their hands and break up the mess.

Fuller, one of the Watchers, never cared for the girls' behavior, but as fancied as he was with the lass Fiona, he never showed up without fail to these brawls to rescue his damsel in distress. Though not too distress as he personally trained the lass in swordsmanship. Nevertheless, he often prayed for an imaginative conclusion of their consummation. Unfortunately for Fuller, Fiona had never precipitated these idle fancies and nor would she ever as the day of her departure inevitably wane closer...
    Post edited by Draith012 on
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Looks great! Awesome drawings! I am so jealous (of your artistic talent)! Is Fiona supposed to be a bit Oriental? She looks a bit so...

*Bookmarks thread*
    Thank you! I can see how you'll think she might be from asian decent but the truth of the matter is she is just elven. I suppose my illustration of the elves signature 'almond eyes' didn't come off correctly. Her hair-style doesn't help either.
    Heh, it would be cool if I did dabbled in color. But I'm mainly a graphite artist. Wish the scans didn't come out so gritty. The shading actually smoother than what comes out. But I do hope to start getting into digital art so maybe at some point I'll be able to color my scans and spruce them up.
    edited March 2014
    Chapter 3: The Armored-Clad Fiend

The night comes early this eve as the two trek through the woods. Gorion had stir them north of the road for reasons he had yet to share. Though it has been half a day's journey, Fiona begins to feel the ache within her feet.

"Can we not rest for the night, father?" She asks. "The pace is not kind to my inexperienced legs."

Gorion continues on, his eyes keen while navigating the dark wilderness.

Fiona drops her pack to the ground and reaches for her foot. She moans wearily as she tries to rub the pain away. "Ugh, how do people manage this? It causes the skin to bubble and split at the edges. Stings something awful."

Her complaints brings Gorion to halt, tapping his walking staff into the ground before him. He turns to look to her, "They'll get use to it in time. Can you manage a bit further?"

"Yeah," she sighs. "I imagine I can kick my feet a league or two - Well maybe not two."

Gorion nods to her and continues on.

Fiona lifts her pack back up with a grunt and hobbles along, trailing behind her father. "So we're not even half a ways to the Friendly Arms? I never thought the world was so big."

He grins at her comment. "It is a good resting area before we make for Baldur's Gate. From there, the seas can take us just about anywhere."

"Anywhere? Do we not have a destination in mind?"

"Afraid not, my child. We must go where the situation takes us."

"And what -is- the situation?"

They enter a small clearing in the woods laid with druid calendar stones upon the ground. Gorion's pace is noticeably slower. Thoughts linger in his mind. "I wish there was an easy way to explain this. Know that whatever must be, be strong; be enduring. Much rests on your shoulders and the day will come when you must make decisions that will affect the realms forever."

"Hogwash! A world saved by one man is a world not worth saving."

Gorion snorts. "Quoting the very books I read to you as a child, hm? You won't be alone in this endeavor."

Fiona begins to fidget in her place. "WHAT are you talking about? Your explanation is as elusive as the local fauna."

"What do you mean?"

"I'd thought I see something along the way, but the woods are most vacant."

Gorion turns about and scans the area cautiously, "Truly? No beasts about?"

"Yeah, like in those story books. When the creatures are scared of something in the area."

"Look carefully, Fiona. Do you not see anything?"

She notices the tone in Gorion's voice and scans the area uncertain to what she is looking for. But her elven eyes do not see the warmth emanating in the night. Not bird, nor rodent nor beast. It was as if her eyes were made human. The notion baffles her. She often peeped a creature from the bell tower back in Candlekeep; and now in the den of the beast, nothing?

No, not nothing. There in the distant, she spot a glimpse of a beast of a different sort. It was large and using the vegetation as cover. How peculiar that it seem to be hiding from them in particular. Even more peculiar was that it wasn't alone.

Fiona points her hand in their direction, "Wait. Over there. Behind those trees lining the clearing."

Gorion whispers to himself and Fiona could sense the linger of magic before his mouth. Gorion then peers steadily into the direction specified.

"Run, child. Get out of here!"

Fiona hesitates to act, her mind stammers with inexperience to urgency.

A deep voice booms from the darkness, and the traces of heat step out from behind their cover, "They said you were a hard one to surprise."

"It'd be a cold day in hell before I let you get what you want." Gorion replies.

Entering into view, an aggregation of brutes gather before them. There, leading the pack, is a massive man clad in obsidian armor. His eyes glowing behind the jagged-tooth bone mask of a scarred horsed-hair helmet.

Image: The Armored-Clad Fiend: Sarevok

"You think you can keep me from what I want?" The armored fiend asks.

"With every ounce of power that courses through my being. I will strike you down before any harm befalls her."

The man raises his claymore to his side. "Then strike at me. Strike at me so you'd know that there is NOTHING that will stop this." He drops his sword-arm, signaling to his crew. His bowman lets loose an arrow that whizzes pass Gorion.

"Fiona!" Gorion shouts looking to her. He sees her there staring in uncertain shock at the arrow sticking out from her arm. There was little else that he could do. The applied magical energy he had prepared earlier that day began to unfold itself to the contingency he had placed upon it.

The space around her shifts and distorts. In nearly a blink of an eye, it engulfs her and whatever what was Fiona was now gone, lost to the fabrics of the shadow plane.

The shift leaves her disoriented and stammering around in an unfamiliar world. Nothing seem stable. Fogs of shadow drift in every direction. What was in one direction was now gone and replaced behind the curtains of night. This transformation seemed constant. And she vacillate in whichever direction revealed itself to her.

Her consciousness begins to drift. When she was so vividly awake a minute before, the call of slumber beckoned her strongly. The thought of poisoned arrows whispered in her mind.

The midnight world spins around her and shifts suddenly. Her feet slaps on a dirt road. She recoils away and her back slams up against a tree. Her breaths are heavy. She struggles to keep her eyes open.

"Am I dying?" She wonders.
    Sorry that I haven't been posting lately. Been somewhat busy with other projects but I don't intend to neglect this one indefinitely. So, without further ado...
    edited May 2014
    Chapter 4: Burial Stones

A serene morning forest hums with a gentle breeze rustling through its leaves. The ambient of the local bird chirps softly from every-which-way as though surrounding the area but soft enough to not be all engulfing. There, sitting motionless, is one Fiona Winters, eyes shut and skin bleached white.

The sounds of foot-falls approaches her and stop just short of upon her. The individual crouches down to examine the body, nudging it cautiously.

"Hey," the woman murmurs.

Prompted by a few more taps, Fiona lets out a gasp and her eyes pop open, peering around wildly. She huffs with heavy breaths as she tries to assess the situation and stares at the approached figure with a terrified stare.

"Woah, easy!" The woman blurts. "It's me, Imoen!"

It takes a few more puffs before Fiona eases back into her mind and her heart deescalates. The recognition in her eyes take a long time to form, but they finally come to.

"Imoen?" Fiona mumbles.

"Yeah, 'fraid I lost ya. You up 'n disappeared like a shade back then."

"Where am I?"

"Just along the road here up to Lion's Way. Good ways from Candlekeep too."

Fiona grasps onto Imoen's hand. "Wait, what are you doing here?"

"Oh," Imoen says sheepishly. "I, uh, sorta snuck out n' followed you."

"D-did you see?" Fiona looks hard into Imoen's eyes. "Did you see?"

"I'm... real sorry 'bout Gorion. He - he didn't make it."

Fiona's lips tremble but she does not utter a word. She attempts to get up but winces from a pain. She looks to her side to find the arrow from the night before still lodged into her arm.

Imoen's hands prissily fusses around the arrow, not knowing what to do with it. "Do you.. just pull it out?"

"No." Fiona replies. She attempts to peer around the wound with little success. From moving her arm, she knows the arrow had shot clearly through. The bone was still intact.

"Oh," Fiona groans. "Just a flesh wound. But you can't just yank out an arrow."

"So..."

"Gotta cut off the feathered end and push the arrow through."

"Cut it off how? I didn't think to bring a blade."

Fiona thinks for a bit and then reaches for her hip. She plucks out the dagger Fuller gave her the day before and hands it to Imoen. "Here."

"So just cut it off huh? Isn't this gonna hurt?"

"Probably, but it's how it's done. Just - be steady with the blade."

Imoen hovers the blade over the shaft of the arrow and grips her free hand around the feathered end. She thinks to test it by tapping gently against the shaft but hesitates to do so. After mustering up the courage, she meekly swats the blade. It cuts clear through, surprising Imoen in the act.

"Wow. That's a keen blade!" Imoen blurts.

Fiona exhales in relief. "Yeah. Didn't even feel it."

Reaching her hand around to the other side of the wound, Imoen grips the arrow-head end. "Okay, you're ready?"

Fiona nods. Both of them grit their teeth. And Imoen begins to pull the arrow shaft out.

It slides with a sickening fleshy tone as Fiona begins to whimper. The shaft slips out causing Fiona to gasp with bitter tears dripping from her cheek. Imoen rubs her shoulder.

"Imoen." Fiona mutters. "Reach into my pack and look for a blue flask."

She complies and searches through Fiona's belongings. "Huh. You sure got a lot of these in here... all sorts of colors too."

Finally, she plucks one out and hands it to Fiona. "This one?" Imoen asks.

Fiona looks to it and nods; retrieves it and uncorks it. Without hesitation, she slugs down the contents and discards the flask un-ceremonially.

Fiona stretches her arm. "Oh, that had done it."

"Heh. The power of magics. Bet I know where you got that one."

Taking a moment, Fiona just sits there. Then asks, "How did you find me anyways?"

"Oh," Imoen replies looking up to the tree branches. "That lil' bugger there."

Swooping down to the ground, Fiona's imp lands in the grass next to her legs.

"Oh, Draith. That's where you been." Fiona tries to reach a hand out to him but her arm limply falls short as she finds herself with little strength to apply anymore effort. The beast croons.

"Guess we could wait here a bit longer," Imoen adds.

"Yeah - don't know why I feel so weak..." Fiona thinks back to the night before. She wonders about the possible poisoning, though if it were true, would she still be alive? She read of poisons once before. They generally have a predictable affect though how one's body handles the potency varies. Was it paralytic or simply lethargic inducing?

Regardless, the three of them doddle for a bit longer before Fiona finds her strength. Once on her feet. They look up and down the road somewhat at a lost to what comes next.

Both of them felt the urge to simply return to Candlekeep, but without Gorion, Fiona knew there was no means of reentry.

"So, do you know who that brute with the helmet was?" Imoen asks.

"No. But Gorion seemed to. Though he was tight lip about it all. It was like he was hoping to hide from it my entire life."

"We... could go back there. He left when he thought they lost ya."

"Just 'he'?"

"Yeah. Gorion made short work o' the others. Not a pretty scene neither."

"Not sure I want to go back there."

"I wouldn't either but if he has a journal or somethin'."

Fiona has a long stare look in her eyes. "How bad was it?"

Imoen didn't answer. Instead, she looks to the dirt road and shifts her feet in silent contemplation.
    Together, they begin to track back into the woods.

It wasn't long before the two reached the clearing. There, amongst the druid stones, were the crumpled forms of several cadavers. And scavenging upon them where a cluster of wolves. One particular wolf towered over the others, dwarfing them in size.

Fiona and Imoen duck behind the outlaying trees.

"Sweet Lethander!" Squeaks Imoen. "That wolf is HUGE!"

Together, they observe the pack rummaging through the feast. Collectively, they were far too many for the two girls to chase off. And though, Fiona had never laid eyes upon a dire wolf before, she was certain that the monstrous beast before them was exactly that.

One of the pack stays from the others and begins sniffing the lone figure laying idle in the grass. It bared the trappings of gray robes and had gray fiber hairs upon his head.

When the wolf examined the body, certain of its demise, the beast jaws latches upon the figure's leg and begins tugging it away from the field.

"We gotta do something," Fiona mutters.

"That's crazy!" Imoen replies. "What do you think -we- could do?!"

Fiona looks up to the branches and spots her familiar.

"Draith," she speaks to him telepathically. "Think you can instill fear in them?"

"Don't know 'bout the big one, boss. Not like we're casing off the pigeons here."

"Just do it when I go out there."

"Do whatever. I ain't leaving this branch."

Fiona closes her eyes and begins focusing on the inscribed energy laying dormant in her mind. She begins whispering in undiscernibly words. Imoen watches her as the pressure around her shifts and a faint aura shimmers around her then fades away.

"What're you doing?" Imoen asks.

Fiona steps away from the tree and begins walking into the clearing. Steadily and slowly, she creeps into the sunlight and draws out her longsword.

"Draith, now!" She links to him.

Fluttering up to the closes branch to the clearing, Draith calls upon his ties to the infernal realms and concentrates on the task at hand.

The wolves take notice to Fiona's approach, gazing at her with unblinking eyes. The dire wolf steps forward. The other's follow.

Fiona readjusts herself and grips the sword with both hands, positioning it between her and the pack of wolves. She could feel her feet tremble with each and every step. It was as though her body was beginning to fight against her.

Draith's voice pops into her mind, "It's done boss!"

Suddenly, the wolves begin to cringe. Whine. And run off at full speed. All except the dire wolf whom stood defiantly before her, snarling with his teeth bare, a jagged jaw stained pink from blood.

"Uhh... Draith?!" Fiona utters verbally.

"It's no good boss! Get outta there!"

Fiona freezes up, meeting the gaze of the monstrous beast before her.

"Shit!" Imoen mutters beneath her breath. Quickly, Imoen scrambles up the tree beside her and straddles the first branch she reaches. Without taking a pause in her actions, Imoen pulls out an arrow and draws back her bow.

As the wolf gradually approaches, an arrow snags into the ground beside him. He wheels back and looks to the arrow with bewilderment.

Fiona swings her sword with futility, being nowhere near striking range. The dire wolf responds with growling snaps of his jaw only to be re-interrupted by another arrow. Him strides back in a short retreat turning back with concern. His eyes searching for the invisible foe.

A third arrow nags him in his haunch and he yips in pain. He crouches with tail between his legs, teeth bare and ears down.

Fiona does her best to seem threatening, waving her sword and hollering at the wolf from a safe distance.

Testing his retreat, he makes several sudden movements away from the clearing and when he observes no resistance to his flight, hobbles off as quickly as he could.

With a sigh of relief, Fiona rests her sword into the grass and looks wearily to Imoen.

Protruding halfway through the dirt, a burnt corpse sits cemented there clutching a bow and expressing a most profound pain upon his visage. He was much like his female companion in his cosmetic appearance. That which had taken place here the night before was not very forgiving to many of whom who had gathered here.

Imoen examines the unfortunate fellow. On normal occasions, she would have felt a sort of compassion for such an individual, but knowing his part in all this, Imoen could only muster disdain. She did, however, satisfied some curiosities by plucking his bow string and poking his torso with an arrow shaft.

There were many grizzly corpses that accompanied the clearing, one of which Fiona found herself hard-pressed to approach.

"It's okay... if you're not ready." Imoen tells her as she approaches the lifeless body that was once Gorion. Carefully, she begins rummaging through his belongings.

Fiona looks away. Giving herself several minutes before she slowly makes her way beside Imoen.

Looking down to Gorion, Fiona feels her heart sink as she looks upon the cavity in his chest. His eyes staring up into the sky as though he was staring back at something before he died.

A soft hum emanates from Imoen. There in her hands is an old tattered journal.

"Here," she says, handing it to Fiona.

Fiona stares at it with a lifeless gaze.

"Imoen," Fiona whispers. "What happened exactly?"

"With Gorion?"

"Yes. What really happened?"

"Well..."

"Nydia, where is she?" shouted the armored fiend.

The priestess closed her eyes and concentrated her magics. "She is not invisible... nor is she in this realm."

"Scry all you like," Gorion interjects. "No magic you can muster will ever find her. She is lost to you and forever outside your grasp. Your quest ends here."

"He warded her from detection." Nydia continued.

"Ah, Gorion," the fiend replies. "Ever the cautious one. They, too, said you were a tenacious old fool. How long do you think these tricks will hide her from me?"

"No. Nothing stays hidden forever." Gorion replied.

"Oh."

"That's why I intend to finish this now."

The large man bellowed with a heavy laugh. His voice resonated through the forest.

"I'm right here, you old goat."

The fiend's enforcers advanced, their brutish weapons gripped firmly in their hands as they rushed forward.

Gorion extended his arm and shouted a single word. Index pointed to the intended victim; one of the enforcers' flesh shreds off his body. His muscles melts and his bones explodes into a fine black ash. His remains deteriorating to nothing but dust upon the wind.

The last enforcer swung his barbed club down upon Gorion's head only to see it dangle just above it. A tangible force, invisible to the naked eye, resists the might of his strong arm as the giant brute tries harder and harder.

Gorion noticed the voice of the priestess' incantation and proceeded to hurry this further. He forms the glowing force of energy into a large disembodied fist and brought it to grasp the other enforcer. By his direction, the fist began to emanate with sounds of cracking bones and the enforcer howled in agony.

A flame engulf around Gorion and burst up into the heavens. Only the roaring of flames could be heard.

"Hmph," Nydia snorted. "Not much now, is he?"

Her boasting ended abruptly when her attention was stolen from her by the ground beneath her. She gasped in a panic as she watched her legs sink into a deep sluggish clay. The armored fiend stepped away as the watery ground began to spread and entraps the bowman.

"Ah, Boss!" He cries. "Help!"

The fiend growled and marched off, "useless sots."

The priestess tried to shake off her fear and began her next spell.

As the flames continue to sprout out and into the sky, a ball of spit-fire shot out from the pillar and crashed into the priestess' face, erupting into a wave of fire, scorching her and the bowman into a charred and twisted form. Their bodies continued to burn as the flames cling to clay and flesh. Struggled as they might, the fire hardened the surface and sealed them to their final half-burial.

Gorion bats the flames aside, emerging forth burnt and blackened. He steps to one side, evading briefly the enormous blade the armored fiend slashed skillfully towards him. And with every step hence forth, he used to back away from the armored man's assault.

Soon, he was upon Gorion to the point of no survival. The last bit of energy Gorion managed to place on the tip of his fingers must be the all winning factor to this duel to the death. A blinding burst erupts forth concealing both in a final act of magical display.

Imoen collapsed behind a tree, clinging to it with eyes shut tight. When the light subsided, she dared a glimpse of the aftermath. There, an acre away, stood the armored man, his sword buried into Gorion's chest.

With a raspy voice, Gorion utters. "How could I... not have seen... it. That armor."

"You think I'd come unprepared to face your spells? You have grown softer behind those walls of yours."

"Your death... will haunt you. Some day."

"How sad for you then, that today was not that day." And with the twist of his blade, he snuffs the remaining life from the wizened old man.

Fiona and Imoen sits down the last stone into the pile. Now all that was and all that ever will be of the great Sage Gorion lies buried underneath these stones. When they peer around and found no rocks left to add to the collection, they look back to the pile in silence.

Imoen lays her hand upon the blade of Fiona's shoulder. If there were words to be said at this moment, Imoen couldn't find them. They just stand there for the time being.

"I couldn't do anything." Fiona whispers.

"Fiona," Imoen replies.

"I saw them coming and I did nothing."

"You can't blame yourself."

"Yes, I can. And I do. I let this happen because I was too stupid to do anything but stand there."

"Even I couldn't do nothing."

Fiona stares down at her feet and grimace.

"And I was scared..." Imoen continues, "..out of my mind. All I could see was those awful eyes. I-it felt like - like Death was swingin' a sword. But what could we do?"

"Kill him," Fiona utters.

Imoen looks to her.

"I will kill him."

Imoen - Thief - Neutral Good
    Experience: 192 Level Up At: 1250
    Strength: 9 - Dexterity: 18 - Constitution: 16 - Intelligence: 17 - Wisdom: 11 - Charisma: 16

Move Silently 30 Find Trap 15
    Hide in Shadow 20 Set Trap 15
    Open Lock 35 Detect Illusion 10
    Pick Pocket 25 Backstab x2

HP: 6 AC: 6 THAC0: 18

Proficiencies: Short Sword - Short Bow
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I like the many banters and the pics are beautiful too. This is really enjoyable so far, keep up the good work!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Agree with @lolien. This is great! I noticed your posts at the Minimal Reload Challenge and thought it was deserving of a separate thread. Very creative writing, and nice illustrations. Keep it up :)
    edited May 2014
    Thanks! I didn't think anyone would connect the two, but yes, this is mirrored from that narrative. I originally stopped there because BG2 EE wasn't announced yet and it sounded like it wasn't going to be.

But now that it's already been done, I've decided to continue the story. But those entries were just brief descriptions of the playthrough and I decided to redo it from the start with a full novel form.

The project does take a lot of time to accomplish but I'm hoping to finish this and return to my Icewind Dale 2 story as well with complete storytelling and drawings to go with it.

If you have already read Chapter 4 before I posted this, I had decided to add additional dialogue there that was originally going to be in Chapter 5 but decided it was more fitting at the end of Chapter 4.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Draith012, I'm wondering is Fiona Winters still around? I just started a tentative attempt at novelizing a playthrough today, and it made me think of your wonderful effort (including the drawings!) but when I opened your thread I saw no new developments... I for one would love to see Fiona back on track!
    Sorry, I have had a lot going on since then. And I have on numerous occasion wanted to return to my fanfic. It's good to hear there are people still interested in it and since I've been working on projects that require me to draw, perhaps it -is- time to finish writing the story from mind to paper.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    No pressure @Draith012 I hear real life is quite important. :smile:

I remain bookmarked to this thread and look forward to future updates!
    edited June 2015
    Chapter 5: The Doorsteps of the Friendly Arms

Fiona and Imoen exit the woods. Emerging back along the road where Imoen originally found her friend. They turn eastward and follow the path before them. And they did so in silence.

As they kick their legs along, Fiona stares idly at the ground passing by her feet. Her paces gradually becomes slower till she comes to a complete halt. Her body straightens and she turns on her heels and peers behind them.

Imoen, noticing her peculiar behavior, turns likewise, searching for anything of importance. And when failing in that, she asks, "What is it?"

Fiona glances down and grimaces. Turning back around she continues eastward. "If you were traveling in the direction Gorion and I were traveling. Where would you think we were going?"

"Baldur's Gate or the Friendly Arms I reckon. Wouldn't look for ya in Cloakwood. Maybe the farmlands."

Fiona snorts, "You're surprisingly familiar with the land north of here."

"Aye, guess one of them books found its way to me head. Not much else to do round Candlekeep."

"I've never seen you read."

"Shh. It's a secret."

They trod along a bit further before Imoen asks Fiona, "You think they be up at Friendly Arms?"

"Maybe. It's a good start. But the coast way is a lot of ground to cover if they intend to stop me before Baldur's Gate."

"Doubt it."

"How so?"

"They don't take kindly to violence there. "Common Sense" rules the Friendly Arms, they say. Can't start a scuffle without de guards tearing into ya. Even heard the waitresses are golems disguised with magics."

"You read that one in a book as well?"

"Heh, nah. People talk lots at the inn. But no one fights at the Friendly Arms, that's for sure."

"We still going?" Imoen asks.

"I was starting to dread the idea. Was thinking heading down to Beregost instead."

"Next thing we be walking off the road."

Fiona frowns.

"I'm worried too Fifi, but you're so bogged down in yer head that you don't know where ya goin'."

Fiona sighs.

"You disappeared like a ghost," Imoen continues. "I wouldn't know what ta make of that."

"Didn't you? You found me easily enough."

"Only because your imp showed me tha way."

"Right."

"So why we set for the Friendly Arms anyways?"

"Gorion has two friends there waiting for us. Maybe they can help. Plus... I -really- don't know what else to do."

"Not gonna read that journal?"

"Once we have time to sit still. I'm not gonna stay out here any longer then I have to."

"Blast it all!" Shouted the halfling. "Ye stirred us off de wrong road. Beregost is THAT WAY!"

"Silence Montaron! This is the way."

"Da milestone said otherwise ya daft bastard!"

"Milestones needn't speak! They rot along the road and never see the world beyond. What would they know of ways and roads?"

"They seem a bit odd," Imoen mutters.

The two girls gingerly walk down the eastward road, spotting the man and halfling arguing amongst themselves.

"And loud." Fiona replies.

"Maybe we aught ta cut through the woods after all."

"Wouldn't help. We're clear as day to them."

"But what if they're one o' 'em?"

"Then I rather them be out in the open then following us in the woods."

Fiona gentle lays her hand on the hilt of her sword. Imoen begins wishing she had one but confides in fingering her bow string that was slung over her shoulder.

When the two were in a reasonable distance, they noticed the gangly man had wild and tangled hair, his eyes lined with a tiredness of age. His face inked with several dots upon his forehead and a jester's grin around his lips.

The halfling did not look much better but was blessed with a unmarked face, as far as ink was concerned. Had a few nicks upon his cheek and lip but nothing unexpected of a fighting man, if that sword upon his belt was used just for such a cause. They didn't make any motion that warranted concern, so the two girls kept their pace and hoped that no words would come to pass. Though Imoen could not help but stare at the odd tall man.

"Hold, Wanderer!" Bellowed the lengthy man. "Has danger befell you elfling that you barely escape with your life?" He motions towards her blood stain sleeve.

"Hmph," grunted the halfling. "Been roughed up quite well, no doubt."

Fiona glances to her arm. "Oh, I'm quite fine I assure you."

Imoen leans up against Fiona and whisper, "don't those marks make him one of dem court fools?"

Fiona didn't know how to respond.

"Are you now?" the man continues. "I can bestow upon you a healing potion, if you so wish it. A token of our good will."

"I appreciate your gift, but as you can see," she presents her arm, "I have already taken care of it."

The man gestures towards her, extending his arms as though he was displaying her to his halfling companion. "See this, Montaron? This one is ever resourceful. Unlike your constant backchatter. Perhaps she'd can offer her council to our debate?"

"Oh, by all means," huffed the halfling, "why not ask every ruffed up stranger 'bout our business?"

"And that I shall, half-man." He then addresses Fiona once more, "Heed him no mind or else you be half of one by end-day, but we do seek accompany to the pits of Nashkel. Tis a troubled area with troubled rumors, yes. We are charged to investigate the mines. This iron shortage has left our associates quite concern. Oh yes, quite concern indeed. In particular, to which the blame does lie, like a trollop and her coin. You'd be quite useful, being of this region. We are but strangers here."

"I wish you well on your journey but my friend and I are heading the other way. We're meeting some friends at the Friendly Arms..."

"You hear that Montaron?! She wishes to include more able bodies to our task!"

"Oh heavens be praised," halfling replies with a sarcastic ring. "Such a happy day, calloo callay... Aye, we can spare the time if it makin' the job quicker. A pretty ding like you two won't get pass them bandits on ya own."

"What bandits?"

"Yer Sword Coast is riddled with robbers n' cutthroughts bleeding every sane man that walks up n' down this road. Luckily, they have no traffic with mad men."

Fiona peers a questioning look towards Imoen, "I guess we could use an escort..."

Imoen replies with a wide-eye concern upon her face.

Image: Xzar

Fiona signals her to settle down but despite it, Imoen continues to dread their new companions.

"By the by," the man continues, "you may call me the Magnanimous and most Sublime Xzar from the - uh. Er.. Hm. Yes, from the Places, yes, Places Most Far Away. Far away indeed. And this stout little manling is Montaron. Do not eye it. It will only encourages it to talk with a forked tongue that bits at the nerves and yips at the heels."

"Aye, and if you lend an ear to this one, ye be wearing your breaches on yer head and rolling in the muck by end-day."

The two of them start walking down the road without Fiona and Imoen, continuing their exchange.

Imoen looks to Fiona and says, "I really hope ya know what'cha doing."

Fiona lets out a sigh, "I hope so too."

Imoen follows the two oddities from a safe distance. But Fiona pauses as a glimmer catches her eyes. There in one of the trees, a slight shimmer of light coming out from its hollow. She eyes it curiously and approaches. Though face to face with the object, she was more in disbelief with it than her uncertainty to what it was. It was a clear crystallized glass, or rather a kind of shard resembling glass. She plucks it out from the cavity within the tree and examines it further. If it is indeed what she thought it to be, she is overwhelmingly befuddled to how such a thing found itself here and what luck it was for her to find it at all. Fiona pockets the shard and follows the entourage eastward.

It wasn't before long that another oddity found itself before the four travelers; an elderly man with a flowing white beard and heavy red robes. His form sticking out from the natural scene of the crossroads. He stares mesmerizingly at the sign that indicating which way was which as he strokes his thick white beard. When the four approaches him, he seems to snap back into reality and turns towards the group.

"Hm? Oh dear me." He mumbles. "I did not see you there. I was just, uh..." he peers back at the sign and locks his gaze onto it. "I was just contemplating on the path I should take."

"Dont'cha know where ya going?" Imoen asks.

"Oh, well. Indeed I did at one time or another... But every day, life gives you new choices. New Paths. Sometimes the most obvious one may not be the one one should take."

"Bah, what gibberish is this?" Montaron grunts.

"Quiet Montaron, there is greatness in his madness." Xzar interjects.

"Well what path are you looking for?" Fiona asks.

The old man nods to himself. "I think," he says as he slowly turns towards the westward road and begins walking. "The path for me... is the path that swords aren't needed."

He shuffles slowly through the group on his way to Candlekeep. He stops just in front of Fiona and beams a soft smile to her. "Violence is a nasty business. Completely unnecessary if one remembers she always has a choice. Never know what you might find on a different path. Hidden treasures in the holes of trees and rocks. Fortune isn't always found on the tip of a sword." He winks to her and continues down the road.

What a peculiar sentiment - Fiona thinks to herself. Her fingers rubs the shard object she found earlier.

"Lets get on with it." Montaron spouts. "Night be on us soon. And I ain't waiting 'round here with de likes of -this- fool."

"Geez, don'tcha ever say anything nice?" Imoen replies.

"Aye, n' flowers blossom from the crack of me ass too."

The group continues on while Fiona is lost in thought. The road towards the Friendly Arms is seemingly quiet. And while the others continue their idle banter along the north road, Fiona notices the holes in the stone markers that indicates each league along the path. Suddenly, Fiona stops without the others noticing her and she strays from the road. She reaches into the hole of one of the markers and pucks something out.

It was nightfall when they surmounted the last hill. There before them in the distance was the Friendly Arms Inn. Its walls baring high and sturdy. Not quite as welcoming as its name would imply.

The inn originated from a keep that once was ruled by a priest of Bhaal but had been overtaken by its current residents, the Mirrorshades; a gnome couple - one an accomplish illusionist and the other a priestest of Glittergold.

Now with its former occupant dispatched, they turned the walled keep into an inn for travelers seeking shelter along the Sword Coast. A small hamlet also grew from the keep by those that worked at the inn. Rumors would say that the barmaids were actually golems disguised with magics as women. Though the guards provided enough protection that such an idle fancy had never been tested.

"Where's Fiona?" Imoen asks.

They look about themselves in realization that their elven companion had disappeared. It wasn't long before Imoen saw her off the road crouching down by a rock, her hand reaching into it. Fiona casually stands and returns to their side, her eyes studying something in her palm.

"What's ya lookin' at?" Imoen asks her.

Fiona's brow furrow with uncertainty. She stuff her hand into her pocket and looks to her. "Um. Nothing really. Just - something caught my eye."

"Wadda ya need, a lesh?" Montaron spat. "We spent enough time backtrackin' ta get ya here. Let's gets this done with already."

"You're a bossy little man, aren't you?" Fiona retorts.

"When it comes to my time, aye. I don't suffer dolts willingly."

"I would agree that some suffering is occurring."

Fiona nods in the direction of the Friendly Arms Inn and they begin walking downhill to the main gates. There at its edge were the customary guards keeping an eye out for travelers.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    This is such a lovely narration of the prologue. Shame it was never continued!