Skip to content

the Genie's Flask (TOTL)

IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
man, you keep looking at this after you find it thinking:

Ha! Now I own the genie's flask... surely that means after a nap, I'll be able to summon a djinn once per day, or make a wish, or something...

nope.

then I thought... well maybe you have to pickpocket it off of the mage before he can use it... Ali Baba, you sneaky thief you...

nope. can't be picked.

then I just looked in the editor.

it has no function.

egads, that damn near REQUIRES a mod.

so... what do people think it should do:

-three charges: cast limited wish
-once per day, cast summon djinni
-three charges: cast wish

some combination of the three?

my preference would be:

1. make the item pickable.
a. if you pick the item off of the mage (or kill him) before he can use it then you get form 1.
b. if you fail to pick the item, and the mage uses it to summon the djinni, then you get form 2 after you kill the mage.
2. genie bottle has 2 forms:
a. form 1: summon djinni once per day, AND cast limited wish (3 charges).
b. form 2: cast limited wish (3 charges).

I could mod the bottle to have any effect I want easily enough, but making it have a different version when you pick it would require some scripting.

the easy way would just be to make it form one, with both abilities, make it pickable, and then it would at least allow you to cast the genie immediately yourself without having to rest if you picked it off the mage before he could use it, as well as allowing you to use a limited wish. for non-uber parties, that might turn the tide of that battle if you came in unprepared.

any other limitations? maybe make it usable only by mages, bards, and thieves?

Comments

• BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Charged item. 3 charges left. Cast Limited Wish (x1) per charge.

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    There's not a single item in an EE game that grants wishes so I can't see how adding one could be considered balanced.

1 charge of limited wish might be okay as long as it can't be sold and bought back with more charges. Then if you use the bottle it will disappear and you won't be able to summon the Djinni 1/day to fight for you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    "can't be sold and bought back with more charges"

good point. easy enough to make it unsellable.

Yeah that would actually be pretty cool: summon a djinni to aid you once/day, and a single-use Limited Wish that has the side effect of destroying the item.

That would be pretty easy to make...

yup, already made one. just now tested it. works perfectly. bottle disappears if you use the wish, otherwise stays and allows you to summon the djinni to fight for you once per day.

can post the item somewhere if anyone wants it; you'd just drop it in your override folder.

I made updates to the .tlk file for my game, but there's no need to do that. "empty bottle" as a description still works fine actually.

...though you'd have to be careful in figuring out which of the two item abilities will cause the bottle to disappear, since they have no identifying descriptions on them.
    edited March 2015
    ..alternatively, even though it is a level 9 spell, "wish" for most parties is actually going to be weaker than limited wish. only the truly gifted in both intelligence and wisdom could properly take advantage of it, and the results, even with the gifted, will be quite random.

might make a more interesting bottle...

for example...

you might get improved haste cast on your entire party.

or.

you might have your entire party lose 2 levels.

or.

you might call down a level 25 meteor storm on your head.

the random items you can get are stuff you could have gotten in the very first dungeon of the game. wand of magic missile... wand of fear, that kind of thing.

all in all, I find "Wish" to be far riskier and overall weaker to use than limited wish, and for that reason, kinda makes it even more interesting for a bottle like this.

Post edited by Ichthyic on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Ichthyic said:

..alternatively, even though it is a level 9 spell, "wish" for most parties is actually going to be weaker than limited wish. only the truly gifted in both intelligence and wisdom could properly take advantage of it, and the results, even with the gifted, will be quite random.

might make a more interesting bottle...

for example...

you might get improved haste cast on your entire party.

or.

you might have your entire party lose 2 levels.

or.

you might call down a level 25 meteor storm on your head.

the random items you can get are stuff you could have gotten in the very first dungeon of the game. wand of magic missile... wand of fear, that kind of thing.

all in all, I find "Wish" to be far riskier and overall weaker to use than limited wish, and for that reason, kinda makes it even more interesting for a bottle like this.

Pretty sure it just needs high wisdom which any divine caster should have in spades.
    but you still get random wishes, no matter how high your wisdom is.

see for yourself.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ez enuf.