Skip to content

equipment restrictions and dual-classing/multi-classing

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to the board. I used to play Baldur's Gate here and there as a kid, but was never able to finish it and now I'm coming back to the series in order to correct that.

I've been having fun with a pure fighter, but I am also interested in trying a dual-class or multi-class character. I have a few questions though, and I've not been able to find the answers in the instruction manuals or online. Both have to do with what kind of equipment you are allowed to use.

For instance:

1) I understand that if you dual-class or multi-class with a druid or cleric (as either the first or second class), then the Cleric/Druid weapon and armor restrictions apply across the board, so that even if you are a fighter, you will not be able to use fighter weapons or armor (making grand mastery pointless). This I was able to find online, but I have no idea how the poster knows that, except maybe from experience.

2) I understand that if you dual class into a mage from a fighter, the opposite is true, at least for weapons: once your mage level is higher than your fighter level, you regain your weapon proficiencies and can both cast great spells and have killer abilities with a two-handed sword or any other fighter-specific weapon.

BUT - I have no idea what armor restrictions look like for a Fighter/Mage or Fighter/Thief or, for that matter, a Kensai/Thief. Is there a hard and fast rule that will help me understand how class armor and weapon restrictions apply in these situations? Is it possible to build a Kensai dual class that eventually gets armor? Can you get a mage that casts spells and wears solid armor?

And maybe most importantly, how did you find this out? I've been looking through the instructions (both PDFs) that come with the BeamDog download for BG:EE, but haven't found anything solid.

I hope this question makes sense. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited March 2015
    I found out all of this through experience, and because it mostly follows 2E D&D rules and I cut my teeth on that stuff. I learned the exceptions the hard way.

Weapon restrictions: Use the less restrictive available class (fighters>thieves>mages), unless one of the classes is cleric or druid, in which case use that class's weapon restrictions. Note that grandmastery isn't pointless for a fighter>cleric dual if you grandmaster is a weapon clerics can use.

Armor restrictions: Use the less restrictive available class (fighters=clerics>thieves>mages). However, class abilities are generally restricted in armor that class can't use. So thieves can't use thief skills in non-thief armor, and mages can't cast spells in any armor at all (except for robes and elven chain, because they're special). Druids are a weird exception, in that fighter/druids can cast druid spells in heavy armor.

Note, however, that if a kit is restricted in some way the base class isn't, any duals involving that kit will have those restrictions on top of the base restrictions for the dual. So a kensai>cleric dual, for example, will be limited to cleric weapons (as per weapon restrictions, above) minus slings (because kensai can't use ranged weapons), and will be unable to use armor or shields (because kensai can't use any armor at all).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, thieves can eventually (in the BG2 expansion, so don't hold your breath) get an ability called Use Any Item, which allows them to do exactly what it says. This breaks all restrictions on what items the character can use, but does not allow thieves to use thief abilities in heavy armor, or mages to cast spells in armor.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    There's some information here: http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing

Basically, divine class weapon restrictions and kit based items restrictions trump any other consideration. Kensei's can never wear armour, clerics can never wield a bladed weapon etc (except for one special case below).

Other restrictions can be bypassed with a multi or dual class. Mages and thieves can use any weapon (though thieves can only backstab with thief weapons). Druids can wear any armour when combined with fighter.

Thieves have a special epic level ability called Use Any Item which removes all item restrictions (except in some cases the ability to use NPCs unique items). If you combine UAI with any class or kits restrictions then you can bypass them. Hence you can make a Kensei 13/Thief that will eventually be able to use armour for instance. Note that this doesn't allow you to become proficient in banned weapons so a cleric/thief won't be proficient in bladed weapons unless you get the weapon proficiencies before you become a cleric (Thief 26 dualed to Cleric 27 is an example of this).
  • OnionKnight04OnionKnight04 Member Posts: 8
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I knew there was something I was missing. I'm copying and pasting these to a text file for future reference. I'm not sure it's summarized anywhere else so succinctly.

Thanks again!