Skip to content

Which version is best ?

Hi all , I have boxed version of original Icewind Dale also GOG copy and Enhanced Edition Steam and GOG versions as well .
Now I saw some bug reports in here :

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36294/reported-issues-please-read-before-posting#latest

And I am wondering which version have less bugs ?
Which version is most bug-free version ?
I want to know it . Thanks :)

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    IWD:EE has some minor bugs, but they should not be gamebreaking in any way, and hardly noticeable if at all (as most of them require specific conditions to be met).

Given the overall overhaul and the extra features added in the EE, I would *strongly* recommend it over any of the other versions.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

...overall overhaul ...

Say that fast ten times. :)

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Another consideration, the Enhanced Editions are being continually worked on and tinkered with. The original versions are finished. In other words, the originals aren't getting any better anymore beyond what modders do.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    ^^that. Plus, because there is a profit company still working on it, modders have been adding content to the EE version as well, so win win.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    The fact that you can now use BG2 classes in IWD settles the matter right there IMO.
  • AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
    I am one of those people that is a little in-the-middle about BG/BG2 Enhanced. On the plus side, the GUI got a nice update, the multiplayer was upgraded by leagues, and it is a continual project, whereas some cons include perhaps unwanted new content (this may be a plus for you, but it's a negative for me) and support for a few mods that I like to use is still not available (and perhaps never will be, depending on the modder; also note that MOST old mods, as well as plenty of new ones, ARE supported).

But, all the above does not apply to IWD:EE. It is a clear winner, through and through :) Not even the slightest bit of contest.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Icewind Dale in the original version on GOG still had a few bugs that I couldn't manage to fix with ANY amount of tinkering (for instance, the game crashes about 75% of the time you cast a Glyph of Warding). IWD EE has been nearly perfect right out of the box.

As for BG/BG2, there WAS more of a debate before the 1.3 patches, but at this point it's silly not to buy the Enhanced Editions. You get some pretty good new characters (not perfect, but an effort was made to make them fit in, and content is content) and you also get some cool tactical challenges thrown in with the Black Pits. Plus it saves you a couple hours every install on required modding. And the interface is superb. Easy call from my perspective.