Skip to content

Multiplayer Questions.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
So in the far future a friend and I might be doing a Multiplayer run. It's his first time playing the game and my first time playing Multiplayer so I have a few questions.

First: Can you play multiplayer with mods? I enjoy using a mod that removes class/race restrictions as well as Tome and Blood. On our first run I plan on playing mod-less so he can enjoy the vanilla game but later we may do The Black Pits and so I'd enjoy using some of the modded classes and such.

Second: Does dialogue operate differently with Multiplayer? I would assume it works as normal though the host would make all the decisions or is this false?

Third: How does the pause function (space bar) work? Is it absent or can only the host pause or can anyone pause?

4th: If we save and exit, how would we re-join the game?

5th: How are NPCs handled? Can anyone control them, just the host, or does it work in some other fashion?

I plan on letting my friend host so he can be the Bhaalspawn ( I think that's how it works) and he can experience the story while I just tag along as we RP together.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I'll answer your questions in the same order you asked them...

1) Yes, in theory, mods can work in multiplayer, if both players have the same setup, but it would add more variables in the event that something goes wrong. Although v1.3 has greatly improved multiplayer stability, it is still much more bug-prone than the single-player experience, so I'd recommend you keep things simple, especially for a first-timer.

2) There are a number of occasions where the host (default Bhaalspawn) deals with dialogues by design, but most of the time, whoever controls the character that activated the conversation deals with the dialogue. e.g. if your Charname was the first to walk up to Minsc, he will address you, not the Bhaalspawn host, and you must deal with it. There are quite a few situations where NPCs assume that you are the Bhaalspawn, no matter who he/she is talking to, which is a little annoying, but you can improvise around that.

3) The host can assign all sorts of permissions to other players, including pause-permissions. For example in my game, I have full use of auto-pause functions even though I am not the host, because I control both the arcane casters and playing without auto-pause would greatly limit my effectiveness.

4) The host makes all saves, which are made to his PC. The next time he restarts the game, just load the multiplayer save and host the game again.

5) NPCs work just like player-made characters and control can be assigned by the host. They still have their associated banters and quests regardless of who is controlling them.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the answers! They are super helpful!