Skip to content

IWDEE: Bhaal's Fire?

I've seen a lot of posts stating that the Bhaal's Fire longsword was removed from IWD with HoW... But my question is: was it re-added with the Enhanced Edition? My understanding is that the EE version incorporates a lot of Gibberlings tweaked, re-added, fleshed out and, frankly, awesome work and content, some of which included the reinstatement of Bhaal's Fire.

Just interested to see if anyone has seen it drop and, if so, where?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    IIRC it's a random drop shared with other slots, and since I've only finished the game 2.5 times in the EE I can't really say for sure whether it's still dropping.

I do know that some other endgame items are not dropping, though, so it's absolutely possible that Bhaal's Fire is not obtainable in the game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I just looked and didn't see it listed in the random drop lists.

That said it is a pretty badass sword so I'm not surprised it wasn't kept.
    JuliusBorisov
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sometimes I miss playing IWD 1.0. Tough as nails bosses, no removed badass items ...
    JuliusBorisovelminster
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    Bhaal's Fire - 1D8+3, +2D4 fire ?

doesnt seem too overpowered to me.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2015

Bhaal's Fire - 1D8+3, +2D4 fire ?

doesnt seem too overpowered to me.

Actually its

Combat abilities:
    – 15% chance target is stunned for 2 rounds

THAC0: +3
    Damage: 1d8+3, +2d4 fire

In other words it does 6-19 damage for an average of 12.5 damage (which even in the case of BG2 probably would put it amongst some of the most damaging one handed weapons). Its really the 15% chance of stunning that makes it so powerful because I'm sure very few enemies have immunity to stun.

But lets compared it to something similar like the Bastard Sword +3: Incinerator

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
    – Fire Resistance: +15%

Combat abilities:
    – 50% chance of dealing +1d8 fire damage
    – 10% chance target is stunned for 4 seconds

THAC0: +3
    Damage: 2d4+3 (slashing)

As you can see Bhaal's Fire is a lot more effective.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The absurdly strong Defending weapons that more or less made you immune to all physical damage were probably worse for balance, especially with DWing added in. Not that shields weren't amazing in IWD, but some of that removed gear was just over the top.

Benorg's Truth was so good it was never included. :open_mouth: Stunning AND extra damage which is hard to resist? And AC. Darn thing could compete in ToB.

Those +1 APR +4 Longswords were a pretty questionable call too, but they weren't THAT unbalanced without DWing thrown in.