Skip to content

Spirit Warrior maze on nightmare mode

Has anyone got through the spirit warrior maze on the 5th level of watchers keep on nightmare mode? the mummy at the end keeps smashing me.

Comments

• MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96
    I found that maze very entertaining the FIRST time I've completed it. After several play-troughs it became the most hated place for me in the entire game. So damn tedious and boring. You have very little control over what happens. Even the on optimal route and normal mode, you have a relatively high chance of dying (usually against that stupid war dog) and having to start over.

That being said, I think it cannot be considered "cheating" to reduce difficulty levels for this particular portion of the game, since you have very little control over the fights.
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    yeah i tried like 10 - 15 times and kept dieing so i turned nightmare mode off
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @MalacPok you find that maze boring? Try the cat quest in hidden refuge (Neera's Quest). It will push the limits of boringness to yet-never-reached lands
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Arunsun said:

@MalacPok you find that maze boring? Try the cat quest in hidden refuge (Neera's Quest). It will push the limits of boringness to yet-never-reached lands

I think I just had a little PTSD flashback. That quest is my Vietnam.
  • MalacPokMalacPok Member Posts: 96

Arunsun said:

I think I just had a little PTSD flashback. That quest is my Vietnam.
    Looks like I was divinely inspired to ignore those new-npc-quests. Not being the most patient person, I often go berserk when I feel like a game, that should be fun, is just wasting my time.

There are many little time-sucker features in BG2. Most of them relate to me being interrupted while trying to rest, either by random groups of monsters or guards. "In the name of the council..." Those damn words haunt me!

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I did, but I don't remember how. I had to follow a guide but change the procedure a bit.
    i tried a few ways but the mummy at the end always killed me
  • QwaziQwazi Member Posts: 10
    I'm a little slow. Could someone tell me how to get nightmare mode?
    in the baldur.ini file there is a line "Game Options Nightmare Mode 0", change the 0 to a 1. this is still unteseted tho and hasn't been officially released by beamdog.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2015
    I've played bg2 in "Insane" mode only + "no reload challenge" + 60 frames per second (double game speed) + other restrictive self-made rules for the last 10 years. I get through that spirit maze 90+ % of the times without dying. Since it's crucial to me, to not have any parts of the game that's too hard, I've practised the difficult ones, including the spirit maze. The tricks that works for me, are to avoid the air elemental (can't remember its exact designation) at the nortwestern part, I just skip it.

I kind of take an S - route :

- East to the cupboard
    - North to the (gremlin ?)
    - West - no fight or items
    - North - no fight or items
    - East - to a room with something in, can't remember what
    - North - to a room with a critter
    - then west the rest of the way until the final fight

It may have an influence that my main char (which goes into the maze) always is my tank/superfighter : Ogre - beserker - always at least level 25+ and 150 hitpoints when i enter the maze, longsword + 4 with 5 proficiencies, ac minus 14 or lower, etc.

+ I boost him right before entering, with a lot spells, and expensive potions, of - power - regen - str24 and so on. I don't know if it helps or not.

So ... A highlevel boosted powerfighter that does the right stuff - picks of the right things - and goes the right route in that maze, will succeed most of the time. :smile:

**Edit** Just found out you mean Nightmare mode, I was referring to the highest "regular" mode called Insane. Never played BG in Nightmare mode. It's the new one from Icewind Dale EE, right?
    Post edited by 3leeTbger on
    yeah ive done it it on insane plenty of times before i was talking nightmare mode, in nightmare mobs get health *3 + 60 i think so any fight in the maze takes forever and the mummy is like impossible to beat.
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    NM mode I've beaten it exactly 6 times in a row with no failure.

north - east - north(get scroll) - east - north(use scroll) - west - archway

I count the number of hits the mummy does to the warrior (don't ask me why) and I've seen everything from 19 hits to 22. Its random. I don't know what happens if your luck is worse than this, perhaps 23 hits means death. Either way save before hand and take this path. With my sample size of 6 I have 100% success. Your results may vary. Note: I use only a few tweakpack conveniences but no mods otherwise.
    will try it that way next time