Skip to content

Average hit point for a figter/mage level 2/5 at 18 con?

Hi

I started going through baldur's gate 1 since i've never played that one before (finished 2 awhile back). I want to go the cookie cutter build using a fighter/mage. The problem is that i shift to blade using the EE keeper and then back again after i regretted not getting past lvl 6 spells.
So after using the program and getting my guy to the above level of 2/5 fighter/mage with 18 con i have a total of 96 hit points. That seems really high to me and i'd like to correct it to the right value if i can.

The guy in question is of the huamn race ;)

also if you guys don't mind checking these values as well:

Base THACO: 19
3 weapons specialization points
saving throws:
Death 14
Rod/Staff/Wand 11
Petrification/Polymorph 13
Breath Weapons 15
Spell 12

Thank a bunch!

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2015
    At most, your character should have 28 hit points from Fighter levels 1 and 2 and 18 from mage levels 3-5, so 46 total. On average, those numbers would be 19 and 16.5, for 35.5 total. EDIT: Whoops, this is wrong. See comment below from @Gallowglass.

Your THAC0 and saving throws are correct. You should have 5 total proficiency points, but you might have lost one if you chose a redundant proficiency when you dual-classed.
    Post edited by joluv on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @joluv - ermm, surely it's 1d4 HP per level (+ CON bonus) for a Mage? (Your calculation seems to assume 1d6 per level.) So that'd make it 19 + 13.5 = 32.5 total on average.
  • JackOfClubsJackOfClubs Member Posts: 8
    HIt points, as noted above should be max 46, average 32.5

THAC0: 19 for 2nd level fighter, which won't improve until mage level 7

Proficiencies: 4 for 1st level fighter plus 1 for 1st level mage (which doesn't stack with fighter proficiencies, so must be in a separate, mage-appropriate weapon or it will be lost).

Saving Throws: your numbers look right. 14/11/13/15/12 is correct for a 5th level mage and 2nd level fighter would not have any that are lower. I am assuming the lowest number wins, but I really don't know how the game deals with this.
  • Blakey85Blakey85 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks alot. I'll set it to 40 since i've gained another con (now 19) since then.
  • Blakey85Blakey85 Member Posts: 3
    ow and i totally get that 1d4 or 1d6 thing now :P great.