Skip to content

Hello all and companion question for new player

Well after a time of lurking the forums I finally just made an account. Now to start playing more BG:EE.

I do have a companion question if anyone could give a new player a hand. I'm trying to figure out my sixth party member and I'd like to see if I am missing anything for a decent party group.
My current setup is this

PC - Warrior - Chaotic neutral
Imoen - Thief - Neutral Good
Viconia - Cleric - Neutral Evil
Neera - Wild Mage - Chaotic Neutral
Dorn - Blackguard - Neutral Evil

I picked up Garrick for the time being but I'm not sure I'm feeling him as that sixth piece. There is several I can't get because they come with another member so I'm not sure what to do. Is there any staple class I should probably have or maybe one thats just fun with great interactions I should take? Any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks guy.
kcwiselolien

Comments

• GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2013
    You don't NEED any specific role. You have two melee's (assuming your own warrior is focusing on melee weapons) to soak up damage at the frontline. A thief for traps/locks. A cleric for healing. And an arcane caster.

You can do whatever you want basically. My advice, if you really want a full party, would be to pick up Kivan. He is a good at ranged combat and can be found on the High Hedge map.
    kcwiselolien
  • AlricAlric Member Posts: 2
    Griboe said:

You don't NEED any specific role. You have two melee's (assuming your own warrior is focusing on melee weapons) to soak up damage at the frontline. A thief for traps/locks. A cleric for healing. And an arcane caster.

You can do whatever you want basically. My advice, if you really want a full party, would be to pick up Kivan. He is a good at ranged combat and can be found on the High Hedge map.

Doesn't Kivan have issues with Viconia though? I went with a Neutral character so I could have some good and some evil. I just don't want Kivan trying to kill Viconia my Drow.

My warrior is a melee dual wielder. For now Imoen is sitting back with a bow. So I got 3 people back and two melee. I guess it doesn't really matter would a second full mage like Xan be too much you think or find another melee or even thief.

kcwiselolien
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    Yes I believe Vic and Kivan do have a problem with each other.

Your party is mostly evil, so why not get Edwin? He is a very powerful mage. Or Baeloth, an Easter Egg Sorcerer who is probably the most powerful NPC in BG 1. Both are arguably more powerful than a Charname Mage or Sorcerer can be, due to extra spells for Edwin (item) and Baeloth's innate Magic Resistance.

That said, if this is ur first playthrough.

1) I recommend that you avoid walkthrough.

2) Be aware that there is a canon party that makes the beginning of BG 2 a bit more sensible. (Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir.)

3) In general, Good choices are more rewarding in BG, but evil NPCs are more powerful than Good equivalents.

Oh yeah... BG EE doesn't have a lot of NPC interaction anyway. Only Neera, Dorn and Rassad have quests and interactions because they are Enhanced Edition additions. Along with Baeloth, those 3 were never in the original game, and arguably changes the feel of the game a little bit. (Like Dorn is kinda OP).
    kcwiselolien
  • haniatri72haniatri72 Member Posts: 25
    In my current good party, I am using Garrick because he is virtually a walking identify (great lore score), even at level 6.
    kcwiselolien
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    It's great that you've jumped into answering questions on the forum, @haniatri72, but people usually try not to answer questions on threads that have been silent for a long time. The person who asked the question has likely moved on.
    kcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • haniatri72haniatri72 Member Posts: 25
    joluv said:

It's great that you've jumped into answering questions on the forum, @haniatri72, but people usually try not to answer questions on threads that have been silent for a long time. The person who asked the question has likely moved on.

Lol I didn't actually check when the last comment was :)
    joluvkcwiseJuliusBorisovlolien