Skip to content

So how many of you play VS just go mod crazy

The_ZealotThe_Zealot Member Posts: 43
Most of what i am noticing in this forum is a lot of modders. Is anybody just excited about the release of the game and being able to play it on I0S?

Maybe I'm just behind but I am just excited to play this game again!

Comments

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Very excited to replay this timeless classic, yep :)
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I play heavily modded BGT and have done so for the last 4 or 5 years, does that count?
  • The_ZealotThe_Zealot Member Posts: 43
    I guess a better question would be, why all the appeal for modding over just playing an already excellent game?
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    First i´m excited to play BGEE in all it´s glory and then i´m even more (if its doable what i want) excited to create this one specific mod. I couldnt do certain areas for nwn but with infinity YES!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited June 2012
    I have a set of the original BG disks in storage for my iMac.... I have another set of BG trilogy that was purchased on Ebay...I have yet another set of the latest DVD re release. I await the iOS version to play on my iPad 3. =)

Frankly, BGI and BGII are so good they don't even need mods, just a few tweaks here and there.
    I haven't played any BG in years though, should be fun.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    I play mods to accomodate my gaming preferences on relatively small matters like better/more varied animations and paperdolls, adherence to P&P rules, convenience (e.g. unlimited stacking of everything), tying loose ends... anything that can provide satisfaction for my OCD for everything to be as perfect and polished as possible. I hardly ever add NPCs and quests though mods, though.

That being said, I'm going to play vanilla BG:EE at least once before going mod crazy on it.
    Frankly, BGI and BGII are so good they don't even need mods, just a few tweaks here and there.
    That's what I thought, I'm replaying SoA now and loving it even after having played the games (unmoded) for years. I never thought they needed anything..... But I guess aesthetic fixes wouldn't be bad.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @The_Zealot A big part of the appeal for modding is that Baldur's Gate is a 15 year old game that has been kept alive/fresh by an awesome and dedicated community of modders for a long time. I've played the BG games many times over the years, and I do have certain preferences now that just add to convenience more than anything. The widescreen mod is a must-have and I often use varied combinations of PnP mods (aTweaks, Rogue Rebalancing, etc). The fixpacks and tweakpacks are great too. I plan on playing BG:EE vanilla as well, but will most likely end up using some mods if need be (level cap remover, PnP implementations...)
    That make sense, I guess I'll just have to try some of these mods my self and see what the hype is about.
    @The_Zealot - you mean you've never played aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing? Come on, man! Not cool! ;-)
    @AndreaColombo to be honest I have no idea what that means, care to enlighten me?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited June 2012
    anything that can provide satisfaction for my OCD for everything to be as perfect and polished as possible. I hardly ever add NPCs and quests though mods, though.
    Lol, I can identify with that. I literally won't play a game if I can't find the latest patch/expansion set. I only use mods that represent essential bug fixes, convenience tweaks, or graphical enhancements (only if the graphical enhancements are 100% in line with the original art direction, which is rare); I want my game to feel like the original, not like a different game. I never use anything that adds fan-written dialogue or quests (unless it's David Gaider post-release, cause that doesn't really count :P)

edited June 2012
    @The_Zealot

aTWEAKS and Rogue Rebalancing are two of my all time favorite mods, brought to us by aVENGER (who is one of my all time favorite modders). You should give them a spin.
    @AndreaColombo what do they do?
    edited June 2012
    aTWEAKS is a collection of P&P implementations. Most notably, each component takes an entire category of creatures and turns them as close to P&P as the IE allows, restoring missing abilities/immunities and removing stuff they're not supposed to have. Their AI is also updated so that they behave consistently with their P&P psychology and make use of their restored abilities (which means fights against them are generally harder).

Rogue Rebalancing turns bards and thieves as close to P&P as the IE allows, adds optional gear for them, and an optional encounter with the chosen of Cyric and his party (they're tough!).
    forgive the question but what is P&P and IE
    edited June 2012
    nvm (duplicate)
    @The_Zealot

P&P = Pen & Paper
    IE = Infinity Engine
    @AndreaColombo

Thanks, so with so many mods trying to get closer to the original D&D (which is what i assume pen and paper to mean) how many of you guys play tabletop D&D?

(sorry to derail the thread in so many directions)
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    For 6 out the 8 working hours each day, everyone at the office here just sits around playing Gamma World.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    I use BWS from Spellhold Studios. It lets you pick mods as well as components. A slightly different thing, the Big World Project has detailed documentation on all the different mods available but for me isn't as easy to work with.

Anyway here's links to the readmes of aTweaks and rogue rebalancing that describe what they do as well as what options you can install. Highly recommended mods @aVENGER is here on the forums as well.

http://avenger981.github.com/doc/readme_atweaks.html
    http://avenger981.github.com/doc/readme_rr.html
    Thanks, so with so many mods trying to get closer to the original D&D (which is what i assume pen and paper to mean) how many of you guys play tabletop D&D?
    I used to play tabletop 3rd Ed. D&D in my high school days. By the time I fell in love with AD&D I didn't have a party with whom to play any longer :-(
    @PhillipDaigle & @AndreaColombo I used to plat the table top Warhammer which was awesome! but I never was fortunate enough to actually know anybody who plays D&D.

@smeagolheart thanks for that, Ill have to check it out