Skip to content

Archer/Cleric Dual-Class, issues and questions

Hi ppl, i'm starting a new game with somehow an unsual character: Ranger/Cleric, and i have some issues i would like to share so we can work the idea.

*The objective here is to be an ranger/cleric focused in war hammer.*

So let's begin.

1 - Moral issue:

I'm going to ee keeper the character to give him more proficiences to war hammer than one, i'm evaluating if i give 5 or 2 (other ranged weapons besides cross/short/longbow accept 2 pipes in the proficience). If i go 5 i will roleplay to only use war hammer on ranged and use other weapons in melee. So, any comments on this?

2 - Rarity of throwing warhammers:

These things unfortunally are absurdly rare in BG2. I know we have Dwarven Thrower, but it's restricted to dwarvens that can't be rangers, so i'm stuck with "The Brick", an throwing hammer found in Neera's quest line (which is good as i intent to pick her to the party). While "The Brick" is an awesome weapon, with 12 damage per hit unless save x spell is done (and with called shot in later levels this combo is absurd), it's still an +2 weapon.

So... does exist other thowing hammers avaliable that i didn't remembered? Exist mods to add new throwing war hammers on the game?

3 - Archer class and Throwing war hammers:

The main issue of this adventure. Does the +3 to hit/dmg of archer class apply to throwing war hammers? Does Called shot works with throwing war hammers? Will the melee use of thrownable war hammers be affected by the class benefits (even if they're made for ranged attacks)?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    1. Throwing axes/daggers/hammers being limited to one pip is in the category of "engine limitation" to me; it's just because they aren't separated from the melee versions. Giving two and then using something else for melee seems 100% in the spirit of the kit. I'd say the other options are slightly less so, but do whatever you think will be fun. I don't think it's a moral question.

2. Aegis Fang is Wulfgar's hammer. You could cheat it in ("AEGIS").

3. Do you mean the +1 per 3 levels bonus? If so, yes for that and Called Shot. I've never understood how melee use of throwable weapons works, so no idea there.

Sounds like a cool build! Enjoy.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @joluv i would prefer to not cheat besides the ee keeper for proficience. Will be a hard time to get "the brick" however.

Do you know any mod for more weapons? specially throwing hammers?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    If you take Wulfgar's hammer and then kill Malchor Harpell the first time he comes for it, I wouldn't consider it cheating to console it in after that. I think the consensus is that Malchor respawning is an instance of the game itself cheating.

I'm the wrong person to ask about mods, but this looks like it could be relevant: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/654-thrown-hammers-v41/
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    kamuizin said:

@joluv i would prefer to not cheat besides the ee keeper for proficience. Will be a hard time to get "the brick" however.

BG2Tweaks has an option to disable Malchor Harpell, allowing you to keep the Drizzt party loot once you obtain it.

I can heartily recommend the Item Revisions mod, which changes a LOT of items around. This includes throwing weapons, and it has some very nice options - like Crom Faeyr, which can be thrown now and is quite powerful (I believe it was originally a thrown hammer anyway in PnP). However, the changes made by this mod are EXTENSIVE and go beyond just adding a few weapons; you may want to carefully evaluate it before jumping in, but in my opinion it's perhaps the most balanced mods out there for this sort of thing. Most other mods that add weapons I've found to be adding more and more layers of cheese upon cheese... (ItemUpgrade anyone?).
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

Most other mods that add weapons I've found to be adding more and more layers of cheese upon cheese... (ItemUpgrade anyone?).

Maybe we should start calling that cheesecake to emphasize the magnitude of cheese involved. Cheesecake-modding, cheesecaking, etc.
    edited April 2015

kamuizin said:

BG2Tweaks has an option to disable Malchor Harpell, allowing you to keep the Drizzt party loot once you obtain it.

I can heartily recommend the Item Revisions mod, which changes a LOT of items around. This includes throwing weapons, and it has some very nice options - like Crom Faeyr, which can be thrown now and is quite powerful (I believe it was originally a thrown hammer anyway in PnP). However, the changes made by this mod are EXTENSIVE and go beyond just adding a few weapons; you may want to carefully evaluate it before jumping in, but in my opinion it's perhaps the most balanced mods out there for this sort of thing. Most other mods that add weapons I've found to be adding more and more layers of cheese upon cheese... (ItemUpgrade anyone?).
    Item revision appears to be nice and perfect for what i want, but... is it properly adapted to enhanced edition? The last update is previous the release of BG:EE, and EE changed some important things.

Edit: I dig the forums there and found an beta version to test, gonna try it. For specific requeriment of the mod creator i will prevent myself of post any links to it.
    @kamuizin Yes, get the latest beta. I've tested it and it works perfectly with the EE, no bugs or anything. Hopefully it'll be ready for a proper release soon.

I can really only strongly recommend that mod, and also it's sister mod, Spell Revisions. Very well done both, and a great improvement.
    @Lord_Tansheron, the only issue now is that item revision didn't add any new war hammer thrownable. I will have to reinstall the mod as soon i find another mod to add these weapons.
    joluv said:

If you take Wulfgar's hammer and then kill Malchor Harpell the first time he comes for it, I wouldn't consider it cheating to console it in after that. I think the consensus is that Malchor respawning is an instance of the game itself cheating.

I'm the wrong person to ask about mods, but this looks like it could be relevant: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/654-thrown-hammers-v41/

Saw now your indication better @Joluv, it don't change sprites of war hammer throw but add them also, nice suggestion and what i needed.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Crom Faeyr is indeed supposed to be a throwable hammer, it's a Mjorlnir knockoff hammer, but still pretty good.

If I were you, and going for an unusual playthrough anyways, why not just keeper an Archer/Cleric Dwarf? Good times all around IMHO, its hardly powergaming.
    Sounds interesting, Dwarven Thrower is available right away in IR and later you can go for CF.
    DreadKhan said:

Crom Faeyr is indeed supposed to be a throwable hammer, it's a Mjorlnir knockoff hammer, but still pretty good.

If I were you, and going for an unusual playthrough anyways, why not just keeper an Archer/Cleric Dwarf? Good times all around IMHO, its hardly powergaming.

Can't dual class with non humans, can't use kits with multi-class and Dwarvens can't be rangers in baldur's gate @DreadKhan.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, you can also run a multi Archer/Cleric Dwarf hammer thrower, which all things considered isn't any more game breaking than a half-elf Ranger/Cleric.

Also, I agree with @Lord_Tansheron don't let The Man keep you down! Rise up my brother! RISE UP!!
    DreadKhan said:

Well, you can also run a multi Archer/Cleric Dwarf hammer thrower, which all things considered isn't any more game breaking than a half-elf Ranger/Cleric.

Also, I agree with @Lord_Tansheron don't let The Man keep you down! Rise up my brother! RISE UP!!

Nothing a little EEKeeper can't fix.

Fight the racism and class exclusionism!

Thx guys, i will take that in account :)! For now i used the hammer mod suggested and the revision mod. They changed a lot of things, which is good cos i knew all points of the game and now i have a bit of diversity to deal with.

So far, just ee keeper the hammer proficience to 5 points, but it feels a bit power game, gonna probally set the proficience to 2 pips if 5 make the game too easy.