Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

For games: Install only Linux instead of dual-boot Linux-Windows 7? Welcome second opinions.

typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,493
edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
Long day. Tired. Re-wrote this a few times. Hope it's clear!

There are some good people on this board, so I wanted to ask. Here's the gist of it:
(1) OK to not install dual-boot Linux-Windows 7 to play a few games? (have Windows 7 machine already)
(2) Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian or Debian?
(3) Does the desktop environment matter for games? (eg. Xfce vs. Cinnamon vs. MATE)

I'm thinking of installing only Linux on a used OEM desktop I picked up. (I've spent the better part of the day finding out that getting Windows 7 for it (legally) will be quite a pain. This is not to be contested.)

Are there any downsides to installing Linux on the desktop to play a few games?
The few games I want to play all seem to support Linux now:
BGEE
Shadowrun
PoE

However, I've used Linux as my main OS before and it was never a gaming OS (well, apart from Quake and that, way back when). Does foregoing a potential dual-boot Linux-Windows 7 machine for a pure Linux machine
seem like a bad idea? I must admit I'm biased towards just installing Linux on the thing to just have an easier time of it.

Note that I've got a laptop with Windows 7, for work and for smaller (older! :D) games. It's getting on in age, but if it was only turned on for part of the day, it'd probably fare better... not get as hot. -_- I could totally reinstall Windows 7 on the laptop then have just Windows on that one (and only use Linux from disk when the need arises).

When I do install Linux, any gaming preference for a distro from this list?
Linux Mint
Linux Mint Debian
Debian

Also, does the desktop environment matter when it comes to games?
Xfce has been my favoured in recent years. Cinnamon or MATE could do, though.

I'm going to look up distro support for each of the games, but I'd really like your general opinion on this.

Post edited by typo_tilly on
CrevsDaak

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 5,882
    I feel like Ubuntu might be the best for gaming. I think it has the best over all driver support. If all your games support Linux, it should fine. There can be some performance issues I guess (drivers as I mentioned).

typo_tillyCrevsDaakjackjackcmk24
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,081
    I am not sure if you'd prefer to use Wine (as I'm on OSX I use the Wineskin variant, which is the same thing on a Cocoa (OSX's interface and stuff) wrapper) instead of booting Windows. I do this to save disk space (as my HDD is only 80GBs big, not joking) and to avoid having to reboot, but sometimes you need to know which version of Wine you'll need for each game (newer might not mean better, for example, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords doesn't run well under v1.7.4 but works perfectly under v1.2.3, at least for me) and other stuff that might bother ya' if you don't like tinkering around each game you want to play (also, installing a game is pretty hard sometimes, and graphical glitches are very common on others)... Just a suggestion from someone who tries to avoid Windows like the plague. :D

typo_tillyjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,493
    No doubt. :) I wouldn't use Windows at all if it weren't for work programs and some games.
    My laptop drive is 100 gigs, but it's pretty full from non-game stuff. XD

*nods* So different versions of Wine are needed for different games? Interesting. Thanks! :D

I'm leaning towards Linux Mint or Linux Mint Debian, with no Windows dual-boot. Linux Mint may be best, as the games I looked at all claim to support Ubuntu and Linux Mint. A native install on Linux Mint would be better than Wine on Debian, nyeh? n.n Hoping I can install something next weekend! :)

CrevsDaak