Skip to content

Technical questions

A couple of questions about "resistance".

Magical resistance per se would affect the chance of a spell cast at you going off at all; so 50% MR means that a spell cast at you has a 50% chance of failing (assuming the caster is the same level you are). Does it affect other forms of magic? For example, if you are hit by a flaming sword and you have 50% magic resistance, would it affect that part of the damage due to the fire?

Or perhaps you have a robe of 50% fire resistance and you are hit with an fire arrow spell. Does this mean that the spell has a 50% chance of not going off at all, or does it always go off and the damage is then cut in half?

I have an item that gives 50% resistance to "magical damage". How does one define "magical damage"? Being affected by something like dire charm, paralysis or domination would certainly be detrimental, but I suspect that they mean purely physical damage, yes? Does this include poison? How about magical damage from sources other than spells; dragon breath, for example?

I also have one specific query about a quest. Rasaad in Trademeet wants you to help him infiltrate some sort of evil cult. When I first met him, I turned him down because I was full up on a whole bunch of quests. Recently I went back, had him join the party, but he never said a word about the cult thing. Was this a time limited quest that has gone stale? Or perhaps turning him down at all negates it?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2015
    FrdNwsm said:

Magical resistance per se would affect the chance of a spell cast at you going off at all; so 50% MR means that a spell cast at you has a 50% chance of failing (assuming the caster is the same level you are).

Afaik character levels do not in fact influence the success rate of a spell/its chance to be resisted. Anything based on levels is contingent on the spell's effect, and will be listed in the spell's description (e.g. "1d6 damage per level" or "works on enemies up to 5 levels higher than the caster's level" or whatever). There is no inherent bonus/penalty based on levels/level differences. A lvl1 caster casting a spell against a lvl50 enemy with 50% MR will hit with 50% chance, exactly the same as a lvl50 caster against that same enemy.
    FrdNwsm said:

Does it affect other forms of magic? For example, if you are hit by a flaming sword and you have 50% magic resistance, would it affect that part of the damage due to the fire?

This is a very tricky subject. Some effects do get blocked by MR, some do not. There is basically a distinction between "magic fire" and "fire" (taking that element as an example), and MR will only work against the former. However, what is actually characterized as magical and what isn't is very often not intuitive at all. For example, the fire from the spell Fire Shield is in fact *not* magical in nature, despite being caused and sustained by a magical spell. It will pierce magic resistance.
    Note that this only applies to MAGIC resistance. ELEMENTAL resistance is a different animal, and usually universal; i.e. something that is immune to fire will be immune to both magical AND non-magical fire.
    FrdNwsm said:

I have an item that gives 50% resistance to "magical damage". How does one define "magical damage"?

Magical damage is actual damage (i.e. hitpoint damage) caused by spells and effects that state they do magical damage. Think of it as an element, like for example fire (it's not an ACTUAL "element" per se, but it works similarly). Spells like Magic Missile or Abi-Dhalzim's Horrid Wilting will do damage of that element, and that element has its own resistance category ("magic damage"). This ONLY applies to actual DAMAGE - not EFFECTS caused by magic, such as confusion, paralysis, etc.

Poison is usually not in the magical damage category, but has its own category ("poison"). A dragon's breath is usually of a particular element, depending on the type of dragon you are facing (red dragon = fire, white dragon = ice, black dragon = acid, etc.).
    FrdNwsm said:

I also have one specific query about a quest. Rasaad in Trademeet wants you to help him infiltrate some sort of evil cult. When I first met him, I turned him down because I was full up on a whole bunch of quests. Recently I went back, had him join the party, but he never said a word about the cult thing. Was this a time limited quest that has gone stale? Or perhaps turning him down at all negates it?

I've only done his quest once so I may be wrong, but I would strongly suspect that you still get to do the quest. Keep him around for a while and see what happens, even if you agree with him first chance you get it won't go off immediately, iirc.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Lord_Tansheron said it all except one thing: Rasaad quest actually starts when you go to city gates once he is in your party. Just try that out
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2015
    Dragon breaths ignores magic resistance. The HLA spell Dragon Breath, also ignores magic resistance, so is excellent against pesky drows. Any creature with fire resistance, however, or immunity, will shrug it off.

Weapons that deal additional elemental damage are tricky, most are stopped by the magic resistance, however some are not. Melf's minute meteors fire damage ignores mr, however, the uber HLA energy blade's electric damage does not. Ofcourse, both are always subject to fire and lightning resistance, respectively.

Fire storm priest spell (lvl 7) also ignores mr, for some reason. HLAs implosion, and storm of vengeance ignores mr, as well. However, elemental resistances will lower the damage from these spells.

Imprisonment spell and effect also bypasses magic resistance.

Magic damage is coded in yellowish orange when you are hit:magic missile, cause wounds, holy smite, skull trap, horrid wilting, finger of death residual damage, and the damage you take when you abuse a later game ability are all magical damage.

Damage types are coded in color in text in ee. Dark red is fire, light blue is lightning, dark blue is ice, green is acid, sickly green is poison, etc. Magic damage is yellow-orangish, like I said.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Lord_Tansheron: You're right that sometimes elemental damage is subject to MR and sometimes it isn't (and that I've never been able to discern any real pattern), but I think this is separate from the fire/magical fire distinction. In this old thread, CamDawg says that magical fire damage isn't actually used in the game:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17511/fire-cold-vs-magic-fire-cold
    joluv said:

@Lord_Tansheron: You're right that sometimes elemental damage is subject to MR and sometimes it isn't (and that I've never been able to discern any real pattern), but I think this is separate from the fire/magical fire distinction. In this old thread, CamDawg says that magical fire damage isn't actually used in the game:

joluv said:

It is true that there is a 'magical fire' damage type in the game, but it is never used, as it crashes the game. However, the fire damages used by spells and items in the game are always normal fire. They are just set to either bypass magic resistance (dragon breath and melf's meteors) or not to. (flame arrows, fireball etc) In either case, fire damage resistance will protect from both.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Fair enough, the under-the-hood workings are often confusing and strange. Good that we have people who know their stuff ;)
    edited April 2015
    To summarize:

Magic resistance is the first thing checked when a spell hits your character. If you have %50 magic resistance, you have %50 chance to shrug off the spell completely, the spell can never touch you, you act as if the spell never existed for you.

Example, a fireball hits you, if you are lucky, magic resistance will stop the spell. Everyone around you will scream and burn to a crisp and you will stay cool.

You will see:
    Enemy casts fireball
    You-magic resistance

Text, as the spell is completely blocked by magic resistance.

If magic resistance fails, or if the spell or effect bypasses magic resistance, you are hit by the full force of the spell. You may now make a saving throw, depending on the spell, to negate the effect or reduce the damage.

Continuing the example, suppose your magic resistance check failed and fireball hits you. Lvl 10 fireball does 10d6 damage. In game mechanics, it does 5d6 damage twice. One is blocked when you make a save vs spells. So if you fail the save, you see:

You-enemy did 18 damage to you (first 5d6)
    You-enemy did 13 damage to you (second 5d6)

If you make the save:

You-enemy did 18 damage to you (first 5d6)
    You-save vs spells:x (the number you rolled) (second 5d6 is blocked by the save!)

After the saving throw, your 'damage' resistances will come into play. Suppose you have %50 fire resistance. In the above example, it will read:

You-enemy did 9 damage to you (18-9) (the first 5d6 damage, and you resist half the damage because you are %50 fire resistant)
    You-save vs spells:x (second 5d6 is blocked by the save as usual)

In previous versions of ee, the message '18-9' displayed so you could estimate how much damage resistance the target had. It is disabled as of now, you will see only the 9 damage now.

Magic 'damage' resistance is just like what fire damage resistance is, but in regards to magic damage effects like magic missile, skull trap, wilting, etc. Magic resistance stops the spell all together, damage resistance will lower the damage you take, and if you are %100 resistant, you will get 'immune to my damage' message.

However, in most cases, taking damage you are immune to (%100 resistant) will still disrupt your spell casting, so if you are a high lvl dragon disciple in your own incendiary cloud, you won't take damage as you are immune to fire, but the hit animation may still disrupt your casting. If you make a magic resistance roll and block off the spell completely, however, you can continue casting spells as if nothing touched you.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    One last quest query. While in Trademeet talking to Rasaad, I also visited Mazzy. While I was hanging around for a few days trying to see if Rasaad would say anything, Mazzy found out her sister had been poisoned by a gnome named Wallace. She needs to find him in order to save her sister.

Only one problem. About a month ago (in game time), while being evil Al, I ... ummm ... somewhat accidentally ... killed Wallace. Needless to say, he hasn't returned from the dead just because we are looking for him. Is Mazzy's sister doomed?
    FrdNwsm said:

One last quest query. While in Trademeet talking to Rasaad, I also visited Mazzy. While I was hanging around for a few days trying to see if Rasaad would say anything, Mazzy found out her sister had been poisoned by a gnome named Wallace. She needs to find him in order to save her sister.

Only one problem. About a month ago (in game time), while being evil Al, I ... ummm ... somewhat accidentally ... killed Wallace. Needless to say, he hasn't returned from the dead just because we are looking for him. Is Mazzy's sister doomed?

Heh, in such situations, in old bg1, Biff the understudy would appear and speak the lines of the dead character. No such thing happens in bg2, Biff is under the wings of Haer Dalis's troupe. Your only soution is to re-create Wallace by using the cheat console. Otherwise, the quest can not be completed. (It is a very boring fetch quest, btw)