Skip to content

Spellhold

Hi, so is there any way to reclaim an npc, Edwin in this case, traded off for imoen in spellhold after you leave? Had no intention of losing him! I'm not averse to scripting him back in if someone can tell me how. Thanks very much!

Comments

• mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    i believe he returns to the Copper Coronet you can recruit him again when you return
  • anticlimacusanticlimacus Member Posts: 4
    No luck, I'm afraid. I've searched the whole establishment...
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I seem to recall that some of the NPCs can make their own way home (i.e. to the Copper Coronet, or wherever else that character usually goes) when dismissed at Spellhold, while other NPCs can't. Unfortunately, I can't now remember (because I'm thinking back to the days of original BG2, I've never tested this issue in the Enhanced Edition) which ones can and which can't. I guess your experience shows that Edwin must be one of the ones who can't find his way back.

Of course, it is possible that Beamdog could have changed these behaviours in the EE, so even if I could recall precise details of how it used to work, it might no longer be valid information.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well, as a last resort you can clua console his character file - if you are level 16 already, you could even clua console his ToB file.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If you're going to console anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to console into Spellhold and just pick him up? The area code for the first level of the labyrinth is AR1512.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    It's possible that Edwins pick-up location was changed in the EE-version. How about that Thayvian store at Waukeen's Promenade?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Yannir said:

It's possible that Edwins pick-up location was changed in the EE-version. How about that Thayvian store at Waukeen's Promenade?

But he ain't a red wizard anymore o.O
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check the promenade. If not there I'll learn how to use scripts (which I had no internet in doing, I just really want my Edwin back...!)
    One of the best reasons to learn to use the console is to fix when the game screws up. Quick tutorial, for your purposes:

Step 1: Go into the game's folder in documents (where the savegames are, not where the core game files are), open Baldur.ini, and add the following line, with quotes.

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',

Step 2: Open the game, load your save, and press ctrl+enter on your keyboard. This should open the console at the bottom of the screen.

Step 3: Select your whole party and type the following.

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR1512")

You should now be in the first level of the labyrinth. Pick up Edwin and continue.

Step 4: Open the console as detailed in step 2, then select your whole party and type the following.

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR0406")

You should now find yourself back in the Copper Coronet, with Edwin in tow.

Hope that helps.
    Sweet baby Jesus...it worked. Thanks so much, Jarrakul! I played BG1/2 way back 10+ years ago, then kinda forgot about it and moved on to other things. When I learned it had been re-released I got it and realized it was better (even given its age) than most of the games that followed. So when I lost Edwin, one of my favorite NPC's, I couldn't move past it...Imoen just ain't a good replacement. Thanks again!
    No problem. Glad to be of service.